Corsair Community

Help Needed, H100i on Asus Deluxe II MoBo

IpressB2Knife

Okay to start off let me explain the dilemma that I am currently having with my new build.

I bought an Asus x99 Deluxe II mobo and an Intel i7-6800 (one of their new 14nm cpu's). I have been using a H100i cpu cooler on some 6+ year old asus board and an equally old cpu.

The way I had the cpu cooler hooked up in the old build was just plugging the pump into the "cpu_fan" header, plugging in the power wire for the pump to a sata power wire from my psu, plugging the mini usb from the pump to a usb header on the board and finally plugging in the two radiator fans directly into the water pump.

My new mobo has a "cpu_fan", "cpu_opt", and "cpu_pump" four pin headers on it. Their is a pamphlet that comes with the board that says, "For installing water cooling system, plug the radiator fans into "cpu_fan" and if you have two radiator fans plug the second fan into "cpu_opt". Then plug the water pump into the "cpu_pump" header".

My question is this, can I install it this way and have it work properly? Or do I just ignore the "cup_opt" and "cpu_pump" headers. I would prefer to hook it up the way that Asus suggests, as it gives it a much cleaner look. Also, if I hook it up the Asus way, I will still have to plug the sata power lead into a sata power cable to supply power to the water pump.... which I don't want to do because the "cpu_pump" header is in the middle of the board and there's that one tiny wire on a 3pin connector and the power and ground wires are split off and turn into a sata power connector.

Afterthought, why did corsair not just use a 3 or 4 pin connector to power the water pump? Instead they have one wire going to a 3 pin connector that you plug into a cpu fan header and the power going straight to the psu?? I'm thinking of just cutting that sata power connector off, getting an old 4 pin fan lead, cutting it off, and soldering the two together, getting rid of the bulky sata power connector that supplies the power to the pump - turning it into a 3 or 4 pin. (one less wire connection needed). And saying "the fan header on the board isn't designed to output the amount of power that the pump needs" is irrelevant. There is a "high_amp" fan header directly next to the "cpu_pump" header. A logical guesstimation would be that both are designed to meet a higher current load.

I would use the CPU_FAN header as the CPU_PUMP header is reported via the EC (Embedded Controller) and Corsair Link does not have EC support.

I feel it's only sensible to use the CPU_PUMP header if you are using the motherboard to control the radiator fans rather than letting the H100i control them.

Some recent Asetek coolers do get their power from the CPU_FAN header and this causes as many problems as it solves as many fail to disable fan control so the cooler does not work as it should. Their firmware also has less facilities then the CoolIT H100i.

It would be great if you tried my SIV utility on your Broadwell-E and posted a screen shot. I added support, but have only done limited testing.

So, let me see if I am understanding you correctly. If I use my mobo to control my radiator fans (via the cpu_fan and cpu_opt headers)..... then I should use the cpu_pump header as the power supply for the water pump?

I just really don't want to use CorsairLink software to control my cpu cooler. I would rather have my mobo do that.

I would be more than happy to try out your SIV. It may be a few days before I get this build up and running as I have work/classes that consume a large amount of my time. But any additional info on my dilemma here would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, the water pump header was designed for the more traditional motherboard powered pump, as well as fans from the CPU header. Non-link systems can be set-up this way and if you decide to bypass the Link software for control you can also put the two fans on CPU_FAN and OPT, with the pump connector on Water_Pump. Don't forget the OPT header is a mirror of CPU_FAN. You can't control it individually. It will mimic what parameters are assigned to CPU fan. If you intend to use AI Suite for general fan control, this way be the preferred path.

If you are going to give LINK a chance (and you may want to at first), put the pump lead on CPU fan as suggested. This should prevent the CPU_Fan boot error. Then power the fans from pump block connectors. In this mode, the fan speed is based on water temperature inside the cooler, as it was designed. You should still have ample fan headers on that board. You will need LINK and the USB connection if you wish to change the LED lighting.

The SATA power source solves the power requirements across a wide variety of motherboards. Most motherboards do not have high current headers capable of handling more than 1.0 amp. Pump + 2 high RPM fans + lighting might be cutting it close on too many systems and no one wants a blown header on their board. I understand it is a pain to tuck another cable out of the way, but I would resist chopping it off and ending your warranty support in the first month.

1. So, let me see if I am understanding you correctly. If I use my mobo to control my radiator fans (via the cpu_fan and cpu_opt headers)..... then I should use the cpu_pump header as the power supply for the water pump?
  2. I just really don't want to use CorsairLink software to control my cpu cooler. I would rather have my mobo do that.
  3. I would be more than happy to try out your SIV.

1. Yes, spot on, but the H100i power comes from a SATA power connector not a fan header and the header simply reports the pump speed.
  2. I tried to use CL in fall 2014, concluded it was not very good and I could be better myself, so I did :biggrin:. I feel this was a wise decision as do others.
  3. I look forward to seeing how SIV does. I suspect OK and if not then I will fix it.

You will need LINK and the USB connection if you wish to change the LED lighting.

No, you do not need LINK as SIV can also do this :biggrin:.

That actually makes sense (referring to the statement about the cpu_opt header mimicing the cpu_fan header). I can't think of an instance where you would have two fans on a cpu water cooler and need them to spin at different rpm's.

If i hook it up the way that coursair DOES NOT suggest, how can I fix the cpu_fan boot error. I've read a bunch of stuff over the past couple days and I have noticed quite a few people getting that error when using water systems on this board.

I don't think my h100i is even under warranty anymore. I've had it for like a year and a half. Besides, it would make a great expiriment. As I would be willing to guess that more boards will have cpu_pump headers in the future.

I tried using CL about a year and half ago when I bought my air540 case, a hxi860 psu and my h100i. I hated it, it always wanted to load immedately whenever I started my computer from a "hard off" state. Which caused the boot time of my computer to increase by 20 seconds. I then noticed that half the sensors didn't work half the time. I also noticed that it would re-arrange stuff on its own. Whenever it loaded, that huge window would pop up, then when you close it, ask if you wanted to save changes even though no changes were made.

Maybe I just didn't try to learn how it worked. But I will be playing around with his siv first and then corsair link eventually.

Post thought, if i dont use corsair link, then do i need to hook up that mini usb to usb cable that runs from the pump header to the onboard mobo usb header? And do i need to have that hooked up for your siv to run properly.

Secondary post though, if i do splice those cables for the power on that water pump.

1) The two wires that turn into a sata power connector are: reference node (ground or negative, whichever word you prefer) and Power or the positive lead (is this positive lead variable voltage or constant? i would think constant voltage, as it is powered via sata)

2) The single wire that corsair says to plug into the cpu_fan header is a rpm controling wire or a wire that senses the rpm of the pump?

The warranty on the H100i five years, see http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.

I too was none to impressed with CL and felt I could do better myself, so I updated SIV. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137428

The H100i can control up to 4 fans so using a motherboard fan header to power it would be unwise. Even the Asetek H115i + H110iGTX use SATA power.

SIV needs the H100i to be USB connected.

I read too much into your original post and assumed the H100i was the more recent H100i V2 or GTX and was also new to you. If you want to bypass Link and run from the board, by all means do so. If this is the piano black, square block H100i, its fan controller is a long way from bulletproof, so there is an additional reason to run from the board. As mentioned, the warranty is still 5 years and while you may consider the H100i expendable, I would exercise caution if you decide to pursue the "snip" operation.

The new CL version 4 is a vast improvement over the old 2 and 3 series versions. I understand your hesitation and those old versions are the reason I went out my way to get a non-Link cooler right after that. Since you have already done CL before, you might as well give SIV a shot.

You should not have to worry about the CPU_Fan boot error. It's not normally a problem when there is a fan in place. On some SATA powered units, the false lead to the board sometimes isn't detected, creating the error. You can run yours as you planned with the two fans on CPU & OPT, cooler lead to Water_Pump.

I also just realized that my board only has one onboard USB 2.0 header. And my PSU is also "corsair link" ready, which has a data cable that is supposed to go from the psu to a usb2 header on my board. So either way, only one of these devices will end up getting connected. Unless I decide to buy the cl commander or something that adds 2 usb2 headers to my board.

I have an H110i GT, but I used the SATA cable to power it and just connected the 4 pin, 1 cable to the pump header. A few years back, I didn't have enough USB 2.0 headers so I bought a NZXT 1U01 (probably one of the options in Rays link) and it worked well. In fact, I may dig it out again for my current build.

red-ray, I've finished putting together the build. But my system won't post. It says that my brand new 240gb neutron xt ssd is bad and will fail at any time. I've used hd tune pro to check for bad sectors and there are none. I've managed to load windows 7 and drivers onto it but every time I start my computer i have to enter bios and go to the boot menu and manually select the ssd to boot from. It boots fine after that and I'm experiencing no problems other than that. Can you help?

also, which version of your siv do I need to download?

The SIV 5.10 release should be fine. Have you installed all the updates? SIV uses the high security SHA2 signing on it's x64 driver so needs either KB3033929 installed or you need to disable Driver Signature Verification at boot time.

What SMART data does SIV report for the dodgy 240GB XT SSD? Do Menu->Devices->SMART and then press the [sATA 600] button. How old is the 240GB XT SSD?

Archived