Corsair Community

H110i GT not cooling?

Jazper

So my machine died a few days ago and I'm pretty sure it's the MB dying, since the z97 Extreme4 has a reported history of doing so. For budgetary reasons, I bought another identical MB so I can recover my system and I'll go ahead and rebuild with z170 at the end of the year. All good so far.

However, when I hook everything up the CPU temps rocket up to 94C while in the BIOS. I've reseated the cooler multiple times, cleaned and reapplied the appropriate amount of TIM (arctic silver 5) all to no avail. The block is illuminated, the fans are running, but I'm not sure about the pump. Feeling the lines into the block I feel one is cool and the other is warm-to-hot.

Where do I go from here? How do I determine if the pump is operating? I've yet to get into Windows long enough to check CorsairLink for info... :/

Thanks!

Got into Win7 in Safe mode and CorsairLink reports pump speed around 2350rpm, both fans running around 2100rpm. It's in performance mode atm.

Pump temp reports as ~54C. Ouch

EDIT: After running a little while, temps moved up to 60C.

If C-Link is reporting a pump speed and you can put two fingers on the block and feel the pump vibrations, then it is likely the flow problem is a blockage of some sort. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot you can do about this and the normal course of action is an RMA. You can try taking the radiator off the case while leaving the pump hooked in and powered. Carefully turn the radiator back and forth to see if you can work the blockage out. I suppose you could also fully remove it and give it a hard shake. The problem with this is the fix is often temporary and only lasts until whatever is causing the issue coalesces again.

I'll try a new SATA connector this evening and recheck if I can feel the pump vibrations, but I don't recall feeling anything. I'll update with what I find. I think I still have a spare stock cooler I can bolt on to see if that changes things, too.

Thanks for the responses, folks

There is definitely some sort of flow problem. A SATA or power delivery issue may be something you can resolve, as suggested above. Hopefully, that is the case and a cable or changing the SATA power origination point will get the waters flowing again. If not, then I am afraid RMA is the only option.

Jazper,

As C-atttack mentioned if the SATA cable doesnt resolve your issue submit a ticket please.

You can submit a ticket for a replacement on our support website at http://corsair.force.com. Please make sure you attach a copy of your receipt to your ticket so that we may verify and honor the warranty. Our Tech Support will then review your ticket and give you feedbacks within 1-2 business days.

No joy with a new SATA connection (tried two different cables) nor did I feel any noticeable vibration from the block. Maybe I was just not able to detect it (or doing it wrong somehow), but it seemed to have no vibrations.

I put on the garbage stock cooler and it booted into BIOS around 48C (pretty stable there) and is running windows low 40s when idle, low 60s when doing a little work. Not ideal, of course, but the TIM wasn't pristine and with so little contact area... If I get worried while waiting for the RMA I'll redo w/ Arctic Silver 5 but I think it will survive. Just no intense gaming for now.

Thanks again for the assists folks.

Archived