Corsair Community

H100i gtx problems

johnnieS

I have an h100i gtx that I installed a couple of months ago and it seemed to be fine. After a couple weeks it would randomly get very loud like a hair buzzer and just rev....Shutting down my pc and restarting always fixed this but it is quite annoying now (happening every other day). Is this a link software problem or is their any fixes. Thanks

We are going to need some data to try and work out the issue. When your computer is cold (not after prolonged use), boot up and open the LINK program. Find the H100i GTX Temp reading. This is your water temperature. Write down the first boot temperature. Then let the computer idle for 5 or 10 minutes. Take the temperature again. If the value is more than 40 or 45C stop and post back. If not, run a stress test program like Intel XTU, AIDA64, OCCT, or something similar. You only need to run it for 5 minutes. Record the water temp after 5 minutes. Then let the PC idle for 5-10 minutes more. Record that water temperature as well.

• 2 weeks later...
OK I will do that. I should of been more clear. This only happens at startup and Im afraid to leave it running with this noise bc it sounds like something will break. The water temperatures have always seemed fine but I will run it again. Thank you for your time

No, it's not going to break, although you are not the first person to mistake the sound of the SP120L's in full song for a train wreck. The fans should do a 100% power up for a few seconds on boot. If they are staying at that level, the water temperature is abnormally high or there is a different problem with the software/firmware and control of the fans.

Forget the stress testing. Just get to the desktop and open LINK. We need a water temperature (H100 GTX temp) to assess the next step. Try and leave it up for 5 minutes and see if the water temperature steadily increases or stays the same. We can evaluate the next step then.

Ok thank you. I've been doing that and the temperature is staying at 32 to 34 degrees. Thank god I didn't leave it running with that terrible noise. It sounds like the pump is screaming but moving no water and the fans seem to stay normal speed no matter what.

A 32 to 34 water temperature is fairly normal for the warmer months of the year. If it's 16C in your room and the idle water temp is 34C, then that might bear more investigation. If your current room temps are in the 23-26C range, this is about right. Case waste heat has some bearing on it as well.

The fans scream, but if the pump is making a noise audible over the fans then that is something we should look at. Also, at 32-34C, the fans should be relatively quiet. They shouldn't hit 100% until the other side of 40C water temperature. A water temp in the low 30's that is relatively constant suggests the liquid is flowing. Which profile are you using? Default? Quiet? Performance? Did you make any other changes to the control system? (try to make the fans run on CPU temp instead of Cooler Temp?).

No I haven't made any other changes to the system. I actually left if on normal or default settings. I actually cant reproduce the problem at the moment. I've never had a problem with the temps and never actually had the fans at 100%. It is definitely the pump that starts to scream real loud. The only thing I thought it could be is the motherboard overriding the corsair link software and sending to much current to the water pump. And atm I am on quiet profile. Is it possible that the mobo thinks the water pump is a fan at some points and causes this? And so I'm clear do you want me to let the noise continiue again at startup if it occurs again?

No, we are getting into something different than I expected. If it is the pump that makes a high pitch noise at boot, then this is either a problem with the pump's internal power delivery or the cables running to it. The power delivery is through the SATA connection. Make sure it is tight on both ends. You could try moving it to a different SATA connection, or use a different cable with a different PSU origination if you have it. The motherboard should have no effect on the power delivery at all and the lead is just a sensor. Still, you can set that header to disabled or 100% or however MSI treats it in the BIOS.

If it is not the cabling, then the issue is internal. I would start a ticket through the Customer Service portal now. You're not obligated to send it in, but it may save you some time later. I am also curious what they have to say. I can only remember one other instance of something similar. It was an older H80i that was in its dying days. This is not a common problem. If it re-occurs, restart as you have been doing. There is no point to operating in that state.

Ok I let it run for about 5 minutes today with that noise and its still moving water as the temps stayed between 32 and 34 degrees. this was the first time the problems manifested itself in a while but I will try a different connection and try starting a ticket. Thank you much for your help and time It is greatly appreciated. :)

Archived