Corsair Community

Maximus viii hero alpha rev 1:00

davidM40

Just starting my build and looking for some corsair lpx ram. I'm unsure of my bios version or of I will need to update. My board supports upto 3800oc using xmp I presume, I understand that the 6600k imc might struggle at 3000mhz and above and is a bit of a cpu lottery.

Is my motherboard 4 layer or 6 layer? Is my board high enough quality to support these higher frequency ram sticks? Is there a garenteed oc frequency that I should expect from corsair on this board using xmp, taking into account cpu variations with the imc? I'm not to concerned at hitting the maximum upto 3800mhz just want the highest possible with xmp on auto and not have to manually tweak settings.

Thanks

The Maximus VIII Hero is a six layer board so the Alpha is no less. Asus ROG boards tend to work best with G.Skill memory. DDR4 3600 (16GB) with 16-16-16-36 timings works fine on my board with default XMP settings. You **must** update to the latest BIOS in order to get the best memory compatibility, regardless which memory you choose.

Thanks I will update the bios soon as I'm up and running and try the G.skill 3600mhz with xmp, hope my cpu Imc can cope as yours obviously can. I am still trying to understand these issues and can't quite understand why one brand of ram will work and other brands won't, Asus claims anything 3200mhz and above is down to cpu variations but G.skill 3600 seems to work. Am I right to be so confused? Thanks again any fresh info is much appreciated

Archived