Corsair Community

installing case fans help (newbie)

kravan

Q1: Plan to use header splitter cables on the front and rear chassis headers of my motherboard. The cable splits a 4-pin header to 2 3- and 4-pin fans. Do the fans have to be the same type, ie 2 3-pin fans or 2 4-pin fans, or can it be a mix? I do understand that the total power draws not to exceed the limit of the header.

Q2: Regarding SP120 HP PWMs not showing any RPM readings in BIOS and in Windows, ie as n/a. I've tried searching through the forums, I just need to ask for sure if this has been resolved or not. I use intel DH77EB motherboard.

Q1: It is normal for a 4 pin PWM splitter to have one 3 pin connector and one 4 pin. This is by design. The short version is the 4th pin provides a control signal for the fan. having two control signals (one from each fan) would cause confusion to control source. The 4th pin is unused on one PWM fan.

You can use two DC 3 pin fans or 2 PWM 4-pin fans on each splitter, but you will be unhappy if you mix DC and PWM together. The control source will determine it to be one or the other and either run them at max (12V PWM) or undervolt the PWM fan. Some can run this way, but generally it will shorten the motor longevity. You usually want to use the same fan model on each end of the splitter, but you can sometimes get away with mixing fans at the expense of imperfect control.

Q2: I can't help you with this one. It appears to be a selective problem. Given the fan's popularity, that thread should be a mile long if it was a universal issue.

Archived