Corsair Community

H100i GTX: Sudden rise in idle CPU temp

brian428

I have an i7 5820 CPU, not overclocked, on an MSI X99A Gaming 7 motherboard with the latest BIOS. I've had an H100i GTX cooler on it for about six months. Everything has been fine so far, and my CPU idle temp has been around 30 degrees C, with load/gaming temps around 50 or maybe 55.

While using my computer today, just like any other day, the H100i fans suddenly got really loud. I pulled up Corsair Link and saw that the idle temp was nearly 60 degrees, so the motherboard had cranked up the fan. I switched the pump from Quiet (which it's been on for months) to Performance. This dropped the temp a few degress (maybe to 53). Removing the side of the case and cranking up all the fans lowers things a bit more (maybe to 45), but that's still way too high for idle temp.

I rebooted, checked the BIOS fan settings, and so on. Nothing seems to be obviously wrong, but the temperature is staying at these high levels. So clearly something happened, since I've done nothing to the machine (not even moved it) and it just randomly started doing this out of nowhere.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has something gone wrong with the pump or radiator maybe?

Thanks.

Do you have Corsair Link installed? If so, load it up right after cold boot and tell me the H100i GTX Cooler Temp. This is the water temperature inside the cooler. Then let the system sit there at idle for 5 minutes and take the water temp reading again. If you are not running CLink, we can probably extract the necessary info from other readings.

Are you able to read a pump speed in the BIOS, AI Suite, or any other monitoring program?

When you are at idle and the CPU is at ~60C, put your hand above the radiator exhaust. Is it warm? Or cool?

There are more things we can look at, but I suspect this is going to be enough to narrow down the problem.

H100i GTX - Are you able to read a pump speed in the BIOS.

This not possible as the Asetek H110iGTX reports a fan speed to the CPU Fan header not the pump speed.

You need to use CL4 or one of AIDA64, HWiNFO or SIV (my utility) to report all the H100iGTX information.

If you use SIV post a screen shot of the [Cooling Status] (Menu->Hardware->Cooling Status) panel. This will look similar to as below and has the advantage of reporting the Min/Max values.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25519&stc=1&d=1465020310

1186625098_CoolingStatus.thumb.png.c482fd753fdbe17f7a6acbcfa1a75116.png

Between HWMonitor and Corsair Link, here are the various temps and H100i pump speed. The first one is idling with the H100i pump set to "Performance" (3150 RPM), and the second is pump set to "Quiet" (1980 RPM). (And it had always been set on "Quiet" until I changed it yesterday just to try and get the temps down). This is while doing essentially nothing with the system other than having these tools open.

And again, until this started yesterday, the idle temps on my CPU cores were usually 30 degress or less. So the real question for me is why have these temperatures suddenly jumped 20+ degrees without anything being done to the system. (BTW, I'm in an air-conditioned room at roughly 73, so ambient temp isn't the issue).

h100igtx-temps-pump-performance.thumb.png.c65444b55cc706c41566e8aa3fc8a980.png

h100igtx-temps-pump-quiet.thumb.png.673f2029432ccf3759e5827e9d16e600.png

Also just a quick note that I had read that one way to check if it is the cooler mounting is to press down on the cooler and see if the temps go down. I tried that and it made no difference. Not sure if that matters or not but just mentioning it.

It is not likely to be a contact issue with warmer than expected water temperatures. Performance vs Quiet mode isn't relevant for the idle temperatures, but we did need to verify the pump was running the correct speed, likely ruling out a power delivery issue.

What I was looking for was the rate of change in water temperature from cold boot for a short period of time, like 5 or 10 minutes. The rate of change at a somewhat known power level (idle) helps identify whether or not there is a flow restriction of some type. Even without that, I suspect you do have the beginning of a problem. It's not severe enough yet to cause overheating, but this generally isn't something you can deal with. Use the RMA portal from the page to start the process. You will need to create an account, if you don't have one.

The only other thing you can do is take the entire thing out and shake it a little to try and dislodge a possible blockage (if that is the problem). A compromise might be to unbolt the radiator and disconnect the fans while leaving the pump mounted and running. Carefully turn the radiator back and forth to see if it causes a change in temperature. Even if this works, it may only be a temporary fix and I would proceed with the RMA anyway.

Archived