Corsair Community

supplier Warranty Unsatisfactory outcome

In March 2015, I purchased a Corsair AX1500i Power Supply for a very high end gaming PC which in fact had a multitude of other Corsair parts because I am generally very happy with the performance and ergonomics of the products.

In February 2016, after almost 1 year of operation the PSU suddenly died, resulting in tripping of the house circuit breaker.

Given these PSUs have a 5 or 10 year warranty I felt there was no problem, lodge the warranty claim with the supplier and await due process. As it turns out Supplier A who sold me the PSU last year went out of business and its suppliers and customers were taken over by Supplier B who were happy to lodge the claim to Corsair for me.

After about 6 to 8 weeks of patiently waiting for this process, earlier this week I was notified by Supplier B that my account was going to be credited for the PSU as it was not replaced.

To my utter disbeleif the amount of credit I received was less than 80% of the then price I paid for it and even a lesser percentage than what the same PSU costs today given price rises due to devaluing dollar. To put simply I would have to spend an additional $150 on top of the credit I got to be able to purchase the same PSU.

My question is why was I credited instead of replacement. Even if there's a new revision of the PSU from the one I got and they don't want to repair the old one or cant replace it then why not supply a current available unit?. What is the purpose of a 10 or even 5 year warranty if, as little as 1 year from purchase I cannot get a replacement PSU and instead am being forced to accept a manifestly inadequate credit?

I feel that this is an unfair result from what should be a simple return process and one which I have never experienced before.

The bottom line is, I like Corsair products and I want a replacement PSU, not 80% of its replacement value else and I want confidence I can rely on its Warranty policy and I hope to receive comments and possible assistance from someone in Corsair to help redress my situation.

Thank you.

Joe

Thank you for your reply Technobeard but not sure what you mean by "their warranty and policies are not ours". The suppliers who sold me the PSU are your direct customers and I am their customer the end user. The credit came indirectly to me from Corsair who credited my supplier and then they credited me. The PSU is currently with Corsair. If you need serial numbers and other details I shall be happy to furnish.

Corsair has no control over how the replacement process is done at the retailer.

As Technobeard mention, If you can get your PSU back from your supplier, Corsair can give you an exchange 1:1 and replace the AX1500i. However if you do not have the PSU to send back, Corsair cannot do anything to help.

Hi Toasted, I've read my original post and I think I didn't clarify the situation well enough. My supplier is a wholesaler and all they did was act as an intemediary and process my warranty claim to Corsair. They sent the PSU back to Corsair. Corsair then for whatever reason decided not to replace the PSU and to then credit the supplier with the wholesaler's cost price of the PSU who then passed that amount to me. Corsair has the PSU. I have the full serial number, date of purchase and any other details required to track this item.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Hi Toasted, I've read my original post and I think I didn't clarify the situation well enough. My supplier is a wholesaler and all they did was act as an intemediary and process my warranty claim to Corsair. They sent the PSU back to Corsair. Corsair then for whatever reason decided not to replace the PSU and to then credit the supplier with the wholesaler's cost price of the PSU who then passed that amount to me. Corsair has the PSU. I have the full serial number, date of purchase and any other details required to track this item.

Thanks.

Hi powergrade, we don't do any type of "wholesale" or have intermediaries that do so on our behalf. We only sell direct through the Corsair webstore. Any other type of sales is through a major retailer or distributor and they are responsible for their own returns policy. The only type of RMA we service also are straight from the customer as well which would be through http://corsair.force.com.

If Corsair were to process a refund, we do so directly to the customer with our direct RMA service and NOT through any type of retailer or third party.

Clearly there is a difference in the way USA customers deal with Corsair. As i am in Australia we would not purchase direct from Corsair webstore. We purchase through authorized Corsair distributors in Australia and whilst they are responsible to the customer for returns, they are Corsair customers themselves and so rely on Corsair to do the warranty for their purchases which are then passed on to us, the end user. This is how ASUS, Gigabyte and every other major vendor operates in Australia. Item fails, goes to wholesaler, wholesaler goes to their vendor for warranty, item comes back to wholesaler then to customer. RMA direct via the site you quoted is not practical for Australia, we would have to send the item back to Corsair at immense postage cost. Perhaps there's another arm of Corsair that deals with their distributors and wholesalers to whom I can address my issue.?

• Corsair Employees
Clearly there is a difference in the way USA customers deal with Corsair. As i am in Australia we would not purchase direct from Corsair webstore. We purchase through authorized Corsair distributors in Australia and whilst they are responsible to the customer for returns, they are Corsair customers themselves and so rely on Corsair to do the warranty for their purchases which are then passed on to us, the end user. This is how ASUS, Gigabyte and every other major vendor operates in Australia. Item fails, goes to wholesaler, wholesaler goes to their vendor for warranty, item comes back to wholesaler then to customer. RMA direct via the site you quoted is not practical for Australia, we would have to send the item back to Corsair at immense postage cost. Perhaps there's another arm of Corsair that deals with their distributors and wholesalers to whom I can address my issue.?

That is not how we work as we have official distributors in Australia (Scorptec, for example). You're confusing misconception with reality. Distributors do not handle RMA's for customers.

They can do exchanges and refunds with customers because the inventory belongs to them (they bought it from Corsair and are the owners). If the inventory is defective, they do return it to Corsair and we credit their accounts (when they make the next purchase).

However, we do NOT process RMA's through any distributor in Australia. Whoever gave you that refund was not by Corsair because we only give refunds directly (i.e., we do not refund the distributor who in turn refunds you). My advice to you is to track down that PSU, and return it to us so we can exchange it for you for a new AX1500i. If you don't have the PSU anymore, there isn't anything we can do to help sadly.

All transactions for Corsair related to the end user are done with a RMA. If the store is convincing you they got a refund for you, then ask for the RMA number so we can investigate it. There is no way Corsair will have processed a refund to an end user without the associated RMA case number.

James thanks for your reply but there is still some confusion here. Scorptec is a retailer (reseller) in Australia who perhaps buys directly from Corsair, but they are not a wholesale distibutor, to my knowledge they do not trade sell to other resellers under that trading name. I am a smaller retailer/ reseller with accounts with your current Authorized Corsair Wholesale Distributorsin Australia (Synnex Australia and Leader Computers)

http://www.arnnet.com.au/distributor_directory/vendor/47368314/corsair

I purchased the Corsair PSU from a previous Corsair wholesale distributor (Altech Computers) which went out of business last year. With the assistance of one of the other Distributors the PSU was RMA'd with Corsair. This is what I mean by the distributor handling the RMA, its true its not done for the public end user which is perhaps what you mean, but I am a reseller who purchased it from a wholesaler for my own end use, so in this case they do the RMA for me with Corsair as they would with any other vendor.

Altech Computers doesn't exist, so the other company Leader from who I currently buy Corsair products, agreed to help me out sent the PSU to Corsair under warranty. The PSU for reasons unknown was not replaced by Corsair, instead Leaders account was credited and all Leader could do was pass on that amount of credit to my account with them, which is not the same amount as what I paid Altech last year.

I can talk to Leader once more to get more details but they attest that the PSU is with Corsair, not sure what corsair warehouse but the serial number of the PSU is 14349502001009601252 . I can try to get their RMA number with Corsair to assist you in locating the PSU and the relevant details of this case.

I hope the above clarifies the situation finally. If you can assist me then thank you in advance.

Joe

• Corsair Employees
Contact our customer service directly at 1-888-222-4346 and they can look deeper into this. If you can though, get that RMA number from them so it's easier to track where the miscommunication exists. The AX1500i is not obsolete so we should have been able to do a 1:1 exchange.

• 3 weeks later...

I am the end user in question here, it has been around 10 weeks since my power supply died and the computer that I have spent around $12000 on is just sitting there. I had a problem with an ASUS product and it was replaced in just over a week.

My system has Corsair speakers, mouse, keyboard, 900d case, 24 case fans, 32gb of dominator platinum ram, 2 240gb neutron gtx ssd's, link kit, cpu cooler and of course the power supply.

Im very disappointed in how long its taking to get something so simple replaced and make it possible to use my machine again. Have used corsair products for years and after this, im very much doubting ill b buying another corsair product again.

Archived