Corsair Community

600T and H100i v2 noise issue?

Baggotry

Hello,

So I installed the H100i sandwhiching the top of the case with 2 x 120SP quiet fans. I got everything installed fine (was a bit of a pain to wire my 8 pin mobo connector but I got it), and it's really quiet.

Until I went and closed the top grill. When the grill is attached, my system emits an audible hum. I put some plastic between the grill's lock so it isn't fully closed, and the sound does not appear. However, this is kind of a weird method and I really don't want to have my case propped open with a piece of plastic.

Is this not intended fan mounting? Did I get a defective top black grate? Did I screw my fans in too tight? Do I need to use the washers? (I watched an install guide that used the same sandwhich setup I am using, they did not use the washers).

thx

pics for reference if it helps: http://prntscr.com/b9mxtt http://prntscr.com/b9mxyn (the red box is where I laid the plastic across)

Ideally, we would like to be able to distinguish between 1) vibrations originating from the pump and causing the top panel to vibrate; and 2) The close proximity of the fans to the top mesh is causing a buzzing like sound (the mesh vibrating). Feel the hoses coming out of the pump looking for strong vibrations. Hopefully there are none.

My second suggestion may resolve the other issue. I know the silly directions hint you should mount the cooler fans as intake. You should not. In theory, using slightly cooler external air will give you slightly cooler CPU temperatures. Unfortunately, that is only going to last for a few minutes. All of the CPU waste heat from the radiator will be dumped right into your case. It is usually 5-15C over your ambient air temperature. Mix that in with GPU waste heat, like in most any game, and your internals will get warm very quickly. The 10C rise in water temperature in the cooler is far more than any gain you can get from outside air.

Remount the radiator and fans blowing air up and out. You can put the fans on either side of the radiator, but I normally recommend you put them underneath blowing air up (push). In your case, I will strongly recommend doing this. When on the top of the radiator, the fan blades are closer to the radiator fins and this is sometimes revealed as a higher pitch noise. You may be getting it on both sides with the fins and mesh. To do this, you may need another 8 screws. The included ones can hold the fans. Grab 8 very short ones (or whatever length you need) to hold the radiator to the top of the case. 6-32 thread, length as needed. You don't need specialty screws. Just machine type from the local hardware store.

Thanks for the advice, but in the 600T with my motherboard, there is literally no room for fans beneath the radiator. The motherboard heatsink and 8pin connector would be blocked by it.

I can only have the fans on top. So with that in mind, should I change them to still try to pull air out?

Touching the pipes coming out of the pump is a very slight vibration.

It's just weird because it's not a consistent hum. It last for about a second, fades, starts again. If I unlock the top panel, it gets a bit more quiet. If I put the plastic in to keep it away from the fans, all I can hear is the whir of the fans if I put my ear over it.

A slight vibration is fine. Usually you can detect this in the outflow hose.

Flip the fans around anyway. This is better for general system health. If the noise changes, then this may be a proximity reaction. If it remains unchanged, then we'll need to look at other things. Are the fans "pulsing"?

A slight vibration is fine. Usually you can detect this in the outflow hose.

Flip the fans around anyway. This is better for general system health. If the noise changes, then this may be a proximity reaction. If it remains unchanged, then we'll need to look at other things. Are the fans "pulsing"?

No, the fans aren't pulsing.

And on second though, I can barely hear the humming when Im not paying attention for it explicitly.

I have the intake 200mm default fan, top 200mm is replaced with this radiator, and when the EVGA hybrid 1080 comes out I will be getting that and mounting it in the place of the default 120 mm back fan as an outtake. With that in mind, should I still flip the fans on my top radiator?

Yes, you will want both the CPU and GPU radiators to exhaust. You can leave the 200cm intake. At that point, you are in great shape. All of your major waste heat gets an express ride out of the case and you will only need to run the fans as fast as the cpu or GPU need. You won't need a massive air exchange to keep the internals cool. Slow, steady, and cool. The only thing that might need air is something like an m.2 drive that is very sensitive to direct cooling.

Archived