Corsair Community

Over volting the RAM

Megaloden

Upgraded to my new RAM set:

Corsair Vengeance LP - 16 GB : 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 240-pins - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL10 - 1.5 V

Plugged in the RAM, enabled the X.M.P Profile.

Tested the memory and no errors.

Yet my pc keeps crashing randomly while surfing the net or playing games.

So I went and checked in my bios what the XMP RAM voltage was. It was set to 1,488 V. (Seems like my motherboard undervolted the RAM with xmp profile enabled, dont know why....)

After playing with the voltage for a while, I came to a conclusion that my PC did not crash anymore with 1,55 Volt.

So my settings are now: XMP enabled, with custom RAM voltage to 1,55V.

My question is: is this safe ? Because my ram is rated at 1,5V.

Yes, 1.55 is safe. DDR3 is good up to 1.65. After that, you are getting into less reliable territory. I can't fully explain why you were not stable at ~1.50v. It's possible the board isn't really delivering 1.50v (software reading are not perfect), the board itself is a limiting factor, or the memory modules aren't as fantastic as they should be. Regardless, the only real consequence of running 1.55v is a very small increase in DRAM temperature and most likely an inconsequential one. A kit that can run 10-10-10-25 at 1.50v is more energy efficient that one that needs 1.65v for the same timings, but that difference is tiny and meaningless in comparison to basic stability. Hopefully, your voltage boost is the solution. That is a very easy and painless way to solve the problem.

Yes, 1.55 is safe. DDR3 is good up to 1.65. After that, you are getting into less reliable territory. I can't fully explain why you were not stable at ~1.50v. It's possible the board isn't really delivering 1.50v (software reading are not perfect), the board itself is a limiting factor, or the memory modules aren't as fantastic as they should be. Regardless, the only real consequence of running 1.55v is a very small increase in DRAM temperature and most likely an inconsequential one. A kit that can run 10-10-10-25 at 1.50v is more energy efficient that one that needs 1.65v for the same timings, but that difference is tiny and meaningless in comparison to basic stability. Hopefully, your voltage boost is the solution. That is a very easy and painless way to solve the problem.

It's stable no crash yet.

My settings is 1,55V, but when I check the reading in my motherboard menu it says 1.52V. So I think some motherboards have a tendency to undervolt things...

It could be undervolting or the software reading isn't perfect. You would need a digital multimeter to verify, although I don't see any reason to go poking around if you are not comfortable with that sort of thing. I probably would be content with resolving the issue.

It could be undervolting or the software reading isn't perfect. You would need a digital multimeter to verify, although I don't see any reason to go poking around if you are not comfortable with that sort of thing. I probably would be content with resolving the issue.

Yeah, I am not gonna poke any further in this matter, it works now so :D

Still thanks for all the answer.

Archived