Corsair Community

Question about rear fan-exhaust fan?

Peter123456

Hi all,

Very new here and I really am not very tech savvy. I had a gaming computer built for my son and it seems to be running great. The case is a Carbide SPEC02 which comes with a front fan (LED) and a rear fan which I think may be called the exhaust fan? (not sure) Anyway, the front fan seems to run all the time but I don't think that I have seen the rear fan spin once at all. I'm not sure when it should spin. Can anyone provide some insight for me? I guess my concern is that it isn't functioning and it's brand new.

Thanks for your help

As mentioned, most modern motherboards now power and control the various case fans. The rear fan is often called the rear exhaust fan and in most systems it should spin all the time. There are multiple ways to configure the SPEC-02, but in its factory form, there is only 1 intake (front) fan and 1x120mm rear exhaust fan. If this describes your current set-up, you do want both fans to run at all times, although the speed is negotiable.

If you can update your profile to include the system information or post the specific model of motherboard in use, we may be able to provide more pointed advice. Different board brands use varying methods of fan control, but none should disable the rear fan entirely without someone taking deliberate steps to do so.

That board should have 3 fan headers (CPU_FAN, CHA_1, and CHA_2). The CPU fan is at the top center of the board. #1 is somewhere along the front rail. #2 is just above the first graphics card slot or 3 cm Southwest of the CPU socket. It is likely the front LED fan is plugged into the CHA_1. Whatever cooling method is in place is plugged into CPU_FAN. The rear fan should be plugged into CHA_2. All of those headers are 4 pin connectors. The front and rear fans will both be 3 pin (DC) connections. This is fine as the board can read both types, but make sure you don't force it. There is a small plastic groove that will guide the 3 pin connector on the correct 3 pins.

If it appears the fan is connected properly, there is another possibility. This board is capable of running Asus' AI Suite software which includes desktop software fan control. It can do lots of things, but if it is set into EPU Energy saver mode, it will shutdown fans to "save power". This can easily be disabled by turning that aspect off entirely or programming it so keep some features and leave the fans alone. In a two fan system, you don't want down fan time, even at idle.

It would be rather irresponsible for a system to be given to you with the rear fan disconnected or in some other way not functional. I might start by looking at the AI Suite software (if installed). Look in the task bar drop down menu for a black square with a teal colored diamond. This will bring up the main window. Then fan control (Fan Xpert) are on the left. EPU on the right. It may take some time to get familiar with how they work.

Archived