Corsair Community

h110igt fans question

wannabemixer

Mine are connected to my motherboard, controlled by Asus Fan Xpert (Link 3 wouldn't detect my cooler and Link 4 wouldn't install because it said I had 3 installed) and react to the cpu temp. I don't know if that's right or not, but it works fine for me.

I suppose those are two different questions: CLINK or Not and CPU temp vs. Water temp.

The purpose of the fans is to remove heat from the water, not cool the CPU directly. If you get a momentary spike up 100% load, the fans have no impact on the resulting temperature. The physical properties of the CPU, cold plate, and the water will dictate the resulting temperature (along with the voltage applied, of course). You don't need to start removing heat from the water until it's temperature begins to rise. I consider this one of the advantages of a water system. You don't hear the CPU fans racing every time you open a program or initiate small or brief loads. If you are running Win 10, this can be something a steady annoyance. You generally don't need anything more than low to moderate fan speeds until you apply steady, continuous load. There is a learning curve for your water temperature and each system is unique, since both your hardware and environment play a part, but you can stumble along and still have good cooling.

There are only a few reasons to run it off CPU temperature. The most common is a refusal to adapt. Ignoring that, it is possible to have certain environmental conditions that make running from water temperature difficult to predict. High room temperatures will likely require a custom curve to balance the fan noise and if you are running 2 or more very heavy GPUs (like 980 Ti SLI), the heat while gaming can cause a substantial rise in water temperature (and the entire case). Still, in those conditions I would prefer a fixed speed for gaming to apply a steady exhaust flow and still water temp based for desktop work.

If you use the radiator as an intake on the front panel, this may also require a different way to manage the fans, although neither CPU or water temp may be correct. If that is the only intake for the system, a higher fan rate may be needed depending upon other components.

I suppose those are two different questions: CLINK or Not and CPU temp vs. Water temp.

The purpose of the fans is to remove heat from the water, not cool the CPU directly. If you get a momentary spike up 100% load, the fans have no impact on the resulting temperature. The physical properties of the CPU, cold plate, and the water will dictate the resulting temperature (along with the voltage applied, of course). You don't need to start removing heat from the water until it's temperature begins to rise. I consider this one of the advantages of a water system. You don't hear the CPU fans racing every time you open a program or initiate small or brief loads. If you are running Win 10, this can be something a steady annoyance. You generally don't need anything more than low to moderate fan speeds until you apply steady, continuous load. There is a learning curve for your water temperature and each system is unique, since both your hardware and environment play a part, but you can stumble along and still have good cooling.

There are only a few reasons to run it off CPU temperature. The most common is a refusal to adapt. Ignoring that, it is possible to have certain environmental conditions that make running from water temperature difficult to predict. High room temperatures will likely require a custom curve to balance the fan noise and if you are running 2 or more very heavy GPUs (like 980 Ti SLI), the heat while gaming can cause a substantial rise in water temperature (and the entire case). Still, in those conditions I would prefer a fixed speed for gaming to apply a steady exhaust flow and still water temp based for desktop work.

If you use the radiator as an intake on the front panel, this may also require a different way to manage the fans, although neither CPU or water temp may be correct. If that is the only intake for the system, a higher fan rate may be needed depending upon other components.

so you think i should set it to the h110gt temp group?

I would start with it in water temp mode until something makes you change. This is the way the cooler is meant to function. After you get comfortable with how it responds, you can tailor the water temp vs fan speed curve to match your needs.

Archived