Corsair Community

A7N8X, XMS3200 won't hit 200MHz

Hi All. Newly registered. What a great forum. Lots of help found by just browsing but now I have a question. Systems Specs: Asus A7N8X Rev 2.0 BIOS 1005 Athlon XP 2500+ Barton Corsair XMS3200 512MB RAM (CMX512-3200C2PT) GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB Antec TruePower 380W PSU Windows XP Prof Bought this rig to overclock right out of the box. Everything works great at 166MHz FSB, but the RAM doesn't want to cooperate at anything but 166MHz. If I try 175MHz even, I get errors. Memtest and Memtest86 both yield errors at 200MHz (and at 187 and 175 ) as well as applications just kicking me back to the desktop. I want to make sure I am not doing something wrong and that I indeed have bad RAM. Here are my settings for the overclock. CPU 200MHz, multiplier 10 Memory Freq 100% Timings of 6-3-3-3T or 5-2-2-2T (neither work) CPU core at 1.65V (default) DDR Voltage bumped to 2.7V I've had the system very stable at 166x12.5 = 2075MHz. But I really wanted to be able to use the RAM to it's fullest, or at least 200MHz, and bump the FSB. Cooling is not a problem, right now I'm running 29C on the motherboard, 35C CPU as reported by Asus Probe. Is there anything I left out? Could use some input as to whether everyone thinks it is definitely bad RAM or a system setting somewhere. Thanks in advance. Doug

I guess I am confused then. Can you translate what the timing you have is exactly? 6-3-3-2-1T? I can assume the 6 is the active precharge delay the 3 is the RAS to CAS Delay the other 3 is the RAS precharge delay the 2 would be the CAS latency. What is the 1T? Thanks

OK. I plugged in the correct timings of 6-3-3-2, ran memtest86 again and still got errors the first time through. I think I either have a bad stick of RAM or at least one that has been mislabeled. But if anyone else has any suggestions, I would appreciate them. Thanks for the timings though, holyheaven!

this modules are supposed to run FSB 200 at 6-3-3-2-1T (2.7v) if they don't, you can request RMA...but sometime board causes memory errors rather than memory itself.... try single channel first... then switch the RAM socket (sometime board comes with faulty RAM socket) still not working as advertized?? well request RMA....the fastest RMA in the world...they sent mine in less than 24 hrs..no wonder why ppl love corsair... my RMAed corsair working great at advertized timing and speed but can't overclock single FSB....haha my previous (rev 1.1) could go up to FSB 215 no problem but RMAed one (rev 1.2) can't even increase 1Mhz....haha oh well they are working well so no complain here...

dlk, its like I'm reading my own post. I have the EXACT same specs bar the -X on my mobo hhehe. Everything else is identical, but for this situation it should not matter since I'm assuming u are not running dual channel anyway? Furthermore, I have the EXACT same problem. Don’t bother adjusting timings or settings or whatever, as nothing will make ur RAM work at 200mhz. I have been trying to fix it for like a month and nothing seems to work. I even got another RAM stick and its doing exactly the same thing as the other one. The only thing I can suggest to u as a temporary solution is rasing the ram voltage to 2.8 This should be able to let u run ram at 189mhz and have it running 100% stable on 2.5-3-3-8 only! I cannot guarantee stability at any other timings. I too can run cpu at high speeds but ram at below 190 and get it stable, but the bottom line is anything over 166mhz on the mem and ur risking stability, on p3200 sticks.... go figure I have just posted my own thread about this. [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16638[/url] Check it out and let me know what u think. See if its the same as ur problem, bcos from what I read it sounds like ur using my pc! Also if u have icq or msn give it to me. Fxing stuff with someone that's in the same situation as u can be very helpfull since all the "do u have this", "have u tried that " is eliminated!

I'm having the exact same problem , only I thought that it was a CPU issue ... I am running: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe V 2.0 Barton 3000+ ( 333 FSB ) 2 Sticks XMS 3200C2PT v1.2 If I set all of the Stock settings ( 166 X 13 Aggressive memory at 166 Mhz timing 2.3.3.7 ) I am fine ... no problems If I try to set my FSB to 200 and drop the Multi to 10.5 ) ( Regardless of weather my Vcore is set to 1.65 or 1.85 or anywhere between ) Then set my memory to aggressive setting letting it sync at 200 MHZ I get an error in Prime95 after about 10 Min. If I try to up only my timings ( leaving the CPU and memory @ 166 FSB ) to 2.2.2.6 Windows spuratically reboots and has small memory dumps even at 2.7 V I thought that maybe my CPU just couldn't handle the 200 FSB regardless of the memory ... So it could indeed be my memory then ??

I agree I found this stuff out last night .... This is my post in another forum ... [quote] Look at the boards used to test these Sticks ... [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products/specs/cmx512-3200c2.pdf[/url] and [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/products/specs/cmx512-3200ll.pdf[/url] Also take a look at this motherboard chart ... [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/main/compat/crossref/Asus-Mar2003.pdf[/url] It appears the [b]Low latency[/b] PC3200LL series was designed for the Asus A7N8X series ... Is this something that we can make an exchange for ???? Since it's not compatable or are we just Sheet out of luk and have to shell out another 300+ Bucks ??? I really hope Corsair will live up to the wonderful name I had heard such great things about and help us out in this ... [/quote]

So I guess we're screwed, huh? I ordered my stuff from newegg.com. To send back what I have, after the price difference between the 2 sets of RAM, the shipping and the restocking fee, I would be out another $50. I don't know if it's worth it or not, even though this was the first system I had bought where I planned to OC right out of the box. Anybody have any XMS3200 LL they want to trade for some 3200 C2? :D

I was just reading through some of the compatability tests that RAM GUY had posted, the same ones you, MyTFlyguy have pointed out and found this is well.... Testing parameters for XMS3200C2: CMX512-3200C2 Data Sheet CMX256A-3200C2 Data Sheet Motherboard make and model: EPoX EP-8K3A and/or Asus P4S533 and/or EPoX EP-8K5A, [B]****and/or Asus A7N8X. ****[/B] DRAM Clock: 200 MHz DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 Command Rate: 1T All other settings are motherboard defaults. So I think these sticks are tested @200 on the A7N8X. Maybe when RAM GUY responds, he will have some more info for us.

YEha I read that too ... IT's a bit conflicting ... I also read on Newegg though that others had problems with the PC3200C2's on this board ( some did and some didn't ) and that when they installed the LL series they were good to go ... Here is a review for the LL Series [url]http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?item=20-145-428[/url] BTW I said to hell with it , I am RMA'ing my Current ones ( found out I ould still get refund ) and ordering the LL series for replacement should be here tomorrow or Wed. Then I can get back to you about my results ...

I'm not sure ... I would try and give them a call . I kind of doubt It because they are Working properly , just a compatabilty issue ( I hope is all ) I did my RMA online so I'm sure I will be charged the fee of about $35 plus the 50 more for the LL series ... But i it increasing my FSB capabilities to 200 ( at regular clock ) then it will be worth it ... I noticed that these are basically the same thing as getting PC3500C2s with lower bus speed ratings and tighter timings .. ( based on the Ram guys posts ) I'd still like to see what the Ram guy has to say ...

I've had the board and RAM for about 2 months so i cant just swap them :[pouts: Ram guy? I think this may need your attention. Time is passing and the situation isn't getting better with time Can u guys tell me if u ever have problems with the sound while typing? etc does it crackle and slow down when u type and are listening to music? I am almost 100% this is another board issue. It does not happen always, there is about a 20% chance it will happen. But when it does it is very noticeable. The keyboard keys seem to be interfering with something else in the PC, maybe an IRQ. IT also makes the mouse jumpy. DO this for me plz. Pick something on the screen, say a link or word or smilie, anything u can circle around, and circle around with the mouse. Now do the same thing but this time hold down the ctrl key, or the backspace key, or the enter key etc. See if if making the circling harder and making the mouse jump. You will have to try this on many occasions though, cos like i said sometimes its just not there. For example it seems fine on pc now.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry that you are having trouble with the memory but I would suggest our Low latency modules with this MB especially if you will run the CPU Freq at 200 MHz or above. For the crackling when you type. I seem to remember some thing about this on one of the forums. But I would remove the MB from the case and test it to make sure it's not some type of grounding problem. Also you might try to Disable USB Legacy support as well. Ram Guy

• Corsair Employees
Sorry forgot this, we can try replacing the modules if you are having trouble if you like. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmicro.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmicro.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

RAM GUY: I've tried to see if its a grounding problem. It seems that it isn’t. I have tried disabling everything I don’t need, like onboard sound, lan, ac97 modem, floppy controllers etc. I haven't tried disabling USB legacy though, will give that go, thanks. What can we do for low latency modules? I mean surely u cant expect us to just throw away our current RAM and buy LL RAM? I was under the impression that the C2 xms3200 RAM that's non LL that we currently have was 100% tested with the A7N8X and certified, as stated by your product details. Its not a matter of needing LL modules bcos we are overclocking and need the extra stability due to conventual o/cing problems, this RAM wont even run at the 200mhz specified timings, at 166mhz, let alone be able to run at 200mhz. There must be something more to it than just a simple instability issue as a result of o'cing too far. We are running the CPU Frequency at 166mhz and there are still problems unless timings are relaxed from the specified ones, so even if we aren't planning to run CPU at 200mhz above there would still be issues. I have already replaced the module from the store and the new one i got is doing exactly the same thing. I would think it should be possible to get the RAM replaced for LL modules with Corsair? Sending them away for warranty will just waste resources and money for corsair as the new modules will be doing exactly the same thing. If LL ones fix the problem then it might be better for everyone if we receive those instead.

• Corsair Employees
Then I would say that you have some other problem, Bad CPU and bad MB. But first lets not pre judge anything and please tell me the exact system config you have and the bios settings you have set then we can try to test from there. But our Twinx3200C2 and LL parts, They are tested on ASUS A7N8X MB's so if you having a problem its not a compatibality issue just we need to identify the incorrect setting or bad or failing part. Ram Guy

I persoanlly am a little doubtful that the PC3200 C2's are tested @ 200 Mhz on this motherboard ... maybe 166 for the older versions ... With this many problems with the C2's and the fact that Once I go the LL's PRime 95 Has now been running at 200 Mhz FSB ( Sync'd) for 4 hours. Much more stable at this frequency ... Also the Data sheets for the C2's don't list the Asus A7N8X ... but the Data sheet for the LL does ..

• Corsair Employees
All of our XMS modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed before the leave our factory. And this is what's under [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8048]XMS Qualification and Testing [/URL] for: TWINX1024-3200C2 Data Sheet TWINX512-3200C2 Data Sheet Motherboard make and model: Asus A7N8X and/or Asus P4C800/-E and/or Abit IC7. Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings: DRAM Clock: 200 MHz SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank All other settings are motherboard defaults. Ram Guy

RAM GUY I don't have the Twin pack, I have one stick of CMX512-3200C2 RAM. It also says that it IS tested on an A7N8X at 200 MHz with timings 0f 6-3-3-2T. If you look back in this post a bit, I copied it right from the FAQ's for the RAM. I see now that I should have gotten the LL model and would have had I known about this issue before. I still can't get it stable/usable at all at any other FSB but 166 on the A7N8X. I specifically bought the MB, CPU and RAM to overclock them this time around, and everything I was reading led me to believe what I bought would do it for me. Do you have any other suggestions other than sending my stick back to newegg, paying the restock charge and shipping, and getting the LL model? Thanks for your help and your obvious concern for the readers of this forum. Your help IS appreciated.

"Do you have any other suggestions other than sending my stick back to newegg, paying the restock charge and shipping, and getting the LL model?" I'm facing the same decision. Same mobo, same ram, same vendor. I just got mine yesterday. I guess I should have checked here before I purchased.. The reviews have been stellar though.

Archived