Corsair Community

H80i V2, horrible loud fans.

AurioDK

I just bought a H80i v2, in quiet mode it performs as you would expect, its quiet. As soon as the fans hit 1100 rpm a rather loud buzzing noise starts and it only gets worse as the my 4.5 ghz overclocked 6700k starts to work.

From various youtube videos the only solution I have seen to this problem which I definitely am alone to have is to buy replacement fans. Something I obviously did not know prior to purchasing the cooler.

I installed the corsair link cable and software to get the appropriate readings and adjust the fan speeds, nothing really changed apart from quiet mode being the only option currently. A question I have concerning this matter; Are my settings in the corsair software hard coded into the cooler? If so how do I reset the options I have made?

If anyone knows a trick to get those fans to stop buzzing I would be a very happy guy.

As an example; I can definately hear my GPU when its under load, but the noise is that of a loud fan, not the buzzing noise. If one googles there seems to be hundreds of people with the same problem but have yet to find a solution which doesn't involve spending more money.

Links and screenshots?

Links to the youtube videos and screen shots of your CL4 configuration panels.

The video is for a CoolIT H100i and you have as Asetek H100iV2. These are rather different coolers.

I think I am losing the plot here... neither one of these videos is your cooler?

I don't here anything in the H80i video until it gets into the 80% range. No fan is quiet at 1900 rpm and the better solution in that circumstance is to limit your fan speed. You don't need 2000+ rpm on any of these coolers.

However, you mentioned your buzzing starts at 1100 and gets louder. This is usually indicative of a different kind of problem. There are two types of common "buzzing". One is close contact between the blades and something else -- radiator fins, frame, etc. This sometimes happens when you over-tighten the screws or you don't get the H80 sandwich put together right. It's not that hard to mis-thread a screw trying to pack it all in. Double check your fit. If you think it might be too tight, take a 1/4 turn of the mounting screws on the fans.

The other type of buzzing is electrical and comes from the motor. It can be hard to pin down, but the best way is to remove the fans from the H80i and plug them into a board header, fan controller, or something else where you can easily change the speed while holding the fan in your hand. Vibrations, buzzing, and changes in frequency when the fan orientation is changed are much easier to detect. If it buzzes away in your hand, then you likely want to seek a replacement. If it does not, then the issue is likely related to the mounting.

I think I am losing the plot here... neither one of these videos is your cooler?

I don't here anything in the H80i video until it gets into the 80% range. No fan is quiet at 1900 rpm and the better solution in that circumstance is to limit your fan speed. You don't need 2000+ rpm on any of these coolers.

However, you mentioned your buzzing starts at 1100 and gets louder. This is usually indicative of a different kind of problem. There are two types of common "buzzing". One is close contact between the blades and something else -- radiator fins, frame, etc. This sometimes happens when you over-tighten the screws or you don't get the H80 sandwich put together right. It's not that hard to mis-thread a screw trying to pack it all in. Double check your fit. If you think it might be too tight, take a 1/4 turn of the mounting screws on the fans.

The other type of buzzing is electrical and comes from the motor. It can be hard to pin down, but the best way is to remove the fans from the H80i and plug them into a board header, fan controller, or something else where you can easily change the speed while holding the fan in your hand. Vibrations, buzzing, and changes in frequency when the fan orientation is changed are much easier to detect. If it buzzes away in your hand, then you likely want to seek a replacement. If it does not, then the issue is likely related to the mounting.

Thanks a lot, I had no idea you could tighten the screws too hard, will try to loosen them somewhat later. I also noticed that I am not really seeing that much of difference regardless of how fast the fans move.

I have one blowing into the radiator and the other blowing out of the case. So they are both pushing air in the same direction, its my first cooler of this kind so I hope I got it right. Nothing is touching the fans, I have made sure of that.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

It takes literal practice to become fluid at bolting the thing down. Usually, you need to attach the interior fan to the radiator first (this is the one often over-tightened). Then thread your extra long screws through the back holes and temporarily slide the other fan on. Then try and put the two halves together without punching the long screws out the back. It's the fan in the middle that occasionally gets slightly out of place or 1 screw doesn't make it all the way through. Depending on your case, you may need to get your own longer screws to make it work or simply to make it easier if you are down to your last threads. When things touch, you get a ticking sounds. When they get very close or you have a tiny gap between fan and radiator (or case) the air rushing through it can sound "buzzy". And of course, it it possible the fan is simply buzzy and is defective.

Exhausting air out the back is the most common usage for an H80i and the one I would recommend 99% of the time, so you have done it right.

To everyone, I solved my problem thanks to c-attack who made me aware of some wrong ideas I had when it comes to water cooling. I for one thought the RPM of the fans was tied to the CPU heat ... so much can go wrong when you get the wrong mindset.

While I used prime95 to test my system I was also made aware that its probably not the best tool for the job, it produces heat no game will produce.

So, I am very happy with things now thanks to the help I got here.

Archived