Corsair Community

H60 pump power / 12v is a myth or necessity?

Contiusa

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/Contiusa/H60_pump_zpsrhosozxr.jpg

So the photo above is the manual of my H60. I know from research that everyone advises to plug the pump into a 12v outlet, but why Corsair's own manual does not say that? My pump connector is a 3 pin one, but I am hearing that some motherboards will vary the voltage of the pump even with 3 pin connectors. I think my motherboard has voltage control in all fan headers for 3 pin fans or power connectors.

Hence the question (s):

Is the 12v a myth and voltage control won't wear out and break your pump over time?

If it does wear out / break the pump, why Corsair doesn't explicitly write in the manual "constant 12v header" or something like that?

If it does wear out / break the pump, why Corsair doesn't void the warranty if the pump is powered by a voltage control header?

I will plug it on a 12v header, of course, but I am doing some tests with it and I want to advise people well when I refer the H60, and explain why should they plug or not into a constant 12v header.

But the lack of guideline from Corsair puzzles me a bit and makes me think that part of the 12v thing is a myth? Or not?

I appreciate any help,

Over or under-volting any electrical device is likely to have a negative consequence in the long run. With an electric motor (like a pump), this would usually be premature wearing or noise or both.

If I wrote the manual, it would be 150+ pages thick and come with a waterproof cover, but then it would really add to the shipping costs. Unfortunately, this is a sign of the times and those of us that are technically inclined probably find most manuals lacking in many different products. One of the SATA powered coolers doesn't mention the SATA cable at all. Fortunately, this is a reason to have the forums.

I can't think of any reason to undervolt the H60. You should never hear that pump, the lower flow rate may slightly lower performance, and the power draw is so low the calculation for the savings from 12 to 10v is utterly meaningless compared to the draw of the PC as a whole.

Over or under-volting any electrical device is likely to have a negative consequence in the long run. With an electric motor (like a pump), this would usually be premature wearing or noise or both.

If I wrote the manual, it would be 150+ pages thick and come with a waterproof cover, but then it would really add to the shipping costs. Unfortunately, this is a sign of the times and those of us that are technically inclined probably find most manuals lacking in many different products. One of the SATA powered coolers doesn't mention the SATA cable at all. Fortunately, this is a reason to have the forums.

I can't think of any reason to undervolt the H60. You should never hear that pump, the lower flow rate may slightly lower performance, and the power draw is so low the calculation for the savings from 12 to 10v is utterly meaningless compared to the draw of the PC as a whole.

Cool, thanks.

I agree about manuals, but in the Case of Corsair they could prevent lots of RMAs due to pump wear with this. Only this week two users in a Brazilian forum had to RMA their water coolers due to noise after a year or so, and they were both using a voltage control header. It is like selling a car and don't explaining that seat belts won't hold unless you flip a switch hidden under the dashboard. Only that in the case of water coolers people don't die, they just get bogged by noise ad eternum :laughing: It is a no win situation for both parties.

And the 12v rule applies to all pumps in all models of water coolers? Or there are some models with pump control, like via Corsair Link or similar? The H60 is just for testing. I am going to sell it later, but I am considering a H110i down the road.

Archived