Corsair Community

H100i Gtx Possible Temperature Issue

Half-Alive

Hello, I am requesting assistance with my H100i GTX Cooling unit. For the past month or so I have noticed an increase in temperatures on my cpu. My build is as follows:

Processor(CPU): Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Video Card(GPU): Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

MotherBoard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case

Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

I have read that the idle temp averages between high 20s to high 30s-40s with the i7-4790k and the H100i GTX cooler. In my case I have found that my Cpu jumps up to 50-60 Celsius in a matter of minutes after booting up. Cpu usage goes to a steady 10-25%, which seems normal to me. Though this is enough to bring the Cooler to such high temps. And not only this but I have all settings put on performance setting, pump and fans, all set to max Rpm. For the past 2 days I have replacing thermal paste, re-seating the block, and trying different methods of thermal paste application. Nothing seems to make a difference because I always end up at the same temperatures. I have read the following atricle http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=149425&page=2

I have attempted everything this post had described other than messing with the voltage, I am not that skilled with that setting. The following is photos of my build and temperatures after 3 minutes of use. In cinebench I have reached temperatures exceeding 90 Celsius. During gaming, I reach temperatures around 70-80 Celsius. From what I read this seems a large distance off, though I may be wrong. I have battled this issue this whole week, I would love for someone’s help. Also i'm pretty confident that there is no types of programs that cause excessive Cpu usage at startup. And I am not the most clever guy so some of what I said may be wrong. Gpu stays at a solid 50 degrees Celsius but reaches 80 during max load

Imgur Album: http://imgur.com/a/kn89J

If needed I can supply photos of the cpu under load or in any other situation. Thanks for any help given. I'm sure you see a lot of these posts, sorry for having to contribute to all the other ones.

It seems most likely you have a developing flow problem inside the cooler. If you can provide your water temperature from Link (H100 GTX Temp) at both first idle, the warmer idle (5 minutes later), and any kind of very short gaming or load temp, I can be sure. Does the imugr photo depict your CPU at idle? I am not familiar enough with the CAM software to be sure what the 4 CPU graphs are indicating.

I am not sure why I was so wordy in that thread. The short version is: instant temperature spike to high levels is a contact problem. Slow building heat over several minutes is a water flow problem. Building heat over a long duration (1 hr) is fan/case heat management issue. Obviously these are generalizations, but it is likely to hold true here.

Also: What is the approximate room temperature? If you are tropical, we need to adjust the scale a little.

Oh, no... not you. I am always somewhat wordy, but the post you cited was extreme even for me.

Unfortunately, I think you have the beginnings of a flow problem with the cooler. Your base idle water temp is pretty high for your room temperature and more indicative of what you should have at load. The 4C rise in water temp in 5 minutes while on the desktop is the clincher. The problem isn't so severe that you are overheating yet. However, you do want to secure a replacement as soon as possible. This will only get worse. There is no way to know exactly what went wrong inside, but that is a job for Corsair. Start the RMA process here. You will need to create an account if you don't already have one. Do the express RMA if you can. This will minimize your down time if you don't have another back-up cooling method.

Archived