Corsair Community

Help with older corsair dominator GT 1866 RAM

terrabyte89

Hey everyone,

My first post here! I've done a lot of searching but haven't really come across a solution to getting this ram working on my boards, it may not even be possible!

I've recently acquired 4x sticks of corsair dominator-GT TR3XG1866C7GT ram, version 2.1. I realise these were designed with 1366 in mind but I have 4 matched sticks and was really hoping to get them working in 1155 and 1156 boards for some older benching fun :).

Unfortunately I'm having no end of trouble with them :(. I've tried on 2 seperate Z77 boards (an MSI mpower and an intel DZ77). Using just a single stick (have swapped between all 4). Running XMP usually results in no boot at all or bios errors etc. I've tried manually setting the volts to 1.65-1.7v and setting main timings to 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 and no dice. The motherboard defaults of auto timings and 1333 sometimes gets into windows but crashes shortly afterwards. Tried changing volts to 1.65 and it makes no difference. With the Ivy bridge CPUs I tried upping the cpu io volts up to 1.2v to keep within 0.5v of the ram but again no difference.

So I thought maybe the ivybridge mem controller can't do it, have tried sandybridge but it's pretty much exactly the same symptoms.

I then thought maybe I should go older! So I pulled out an MSI P55 fuzion board with an i7 860 CPU. and guess what, does pretty much exactly the same thing. XMP either results in massive instability or simply no boot. And that's just using a single stick, I haven't even tried dual channel yet let alone 4 sticks.

I don't think it's an issue with 1.65v memory as I've got a set of 4 vanilla dominator 1600-8-8-8-24 @ 1600 running perfectly on these boards. I've tried playing with some of the timings but I really only know the main 5 or 6 and the rest I leave at auto but no avail.

I wouldn't think all 4 sticks are faulty but they all exhibit different issues on the same board (1 power cycles the board at the same timings another might boot or another just sits there on a blank screen). Any help would be great if people could spare the time :). Much appreciated! Thanks.

For any Elpida Hyper based kit, you need a board that actually likes them and for newer platforms the processors IMC can be an issue as well. I am pretty sure none of my MSI Z77/Z87/Z97 models could run my Hyper based kits without issues or at least full manual settings and i am not sure if the P55 models were any better.

Elpida Hyper are very special when it comes to compatibility. There are some Sandy/Ivy Setups that will work with them no problem, while others just won't at all or with questionable stability only. I know for example of several people that successfully tested Hyper based kits on the LGA1155 and LGA1150 based ASUS ROG and ASRock OC Formula models, so these probably are a sure bet. In addition to that most higher end LGA1156 and LGA1366 mainboards should be fine with them as well.

Archived