Corsair Community

Corsair H100i v2 slight vibration from pump?

IcEWoLF

Be sure to crank up the sound when listening.

[ame]

[/ame]

Is this normal?

Generally speaking when I have my headsets on I do not hear them, but when I am doing work on the computer and no headset I can hear it if I listen for it.

I can't hear it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. As a mechanical device, the pump has to make some noise, but you should not be able to hear it over your fans at the desktop. I assume the pump is already in Quiet mode. I am more concerned if there are noticeable vibrations travelling down the hoses into the radiator and case. I have had that one before and it made me miserable. If so, I would start the RMA process. That type of problem won't get better, only worse as time passes.

I am not 100% sure where the noise is coming from, either the plate or the radiator or the tubing even...I am thinking its from the top radiator.

Weird...

Edit, I think its the radiator.

When the radiator runs at its performance setup through corsair link the vibration happens but not consistently, when I change it to quiet then the vibration becomes more consistent.

I think the radiator might be faulty?

The radiator can't vibrate on it's own. The energy has to come from either the fans or the pump. An easier way to tell put your hand on the tubes. If you can feel strong vibrations travelling through them, it is most likely the pump. If so, I would recommend you either return, exchange, or RMA the unit. If it is one of the fans causing the vibrations, that is an easier fix and does not require you to return the unit.

Would it be safe to boot the system without the fans being on for a short period of time to test if the vibration is there or not?

When I put my hands on the tubes I do feel a slight vibration when it's making the noise.

Would it be safe to boot the system without the fans being on for a short period of time to test if the vibration is there or not?

When I put my hands on the tubes I do feel a slight vibration when it's making the noise.

Yes. You can't really get into trouble until you apply sustained load. The radiator releases heat even without the fans. The fans just make it much more efficient at doing so. You can also go short periods of time without the pump running, although you do need to be a bit more careful about applying load and you shouldn't leave the machine in that state for any longer than necessary.

You should feel a tingle in the outflow hose and probably nothing in the return path. However, if you feel vibrations in the radiator/case with the fans off and you can hear a buzz or mechanical noise from the pump, then something isn't right and you to exchange it.

Nvm, I spoke too soon, after about 30 minutes of the system being up the pump makes even louder noise than the previous one.

I am not sure why Corsair built quality is so poor.

1st one: Burning smell

2nd one: Rattling noise

3rd one: screw broke off when installing the radiator...

4th: radiator noise louder.

I am lucky best buy exchanged them, but I am not going to keep doing this anymore. Its embarrassing having to keep going to the same store...

I finally requested an RMA through corsair to get this done, the crappy part is I have to pay shipping to send the box back..but hopefully this time around the damn thing works, otherwise I might have to switch to a different brand.

If your cooler is less than 30 days old, you might be able to get a prepaid shipping label.

You can contact customer service and ask whether it is possible to get the shipping costs covered.

Too late for that... Paid like $15 to return that thing..I doubt I will get reimbursed.

Couple things, I am not using the corsair fans, using the Thermaltake riing fans, using their fan adapter to reduce fan speed since they are not pwm fans, running at 1100 rmp and it's super quiet, very impressed.

Also the rma unit corsair sent me it felt like it had way more liquid compared to my local Best Buy store, I am not sure if those units were at the best by shelves too long? Who knows, I could literally hear the liquid going left and right when I picked up the unit the first time, the other ones I had before barely felt like they had any liquid.

The radiator is dead quiet.

I am thinking that my local store had a bad batch or something.

Finally I can game in peace without having to hear rattle noise.

Just a suggestion to Corsair, you might want to offer rubberized fans on the fans top and bottom to reduce vibration.

Look at the Riing design, it makes so much sense with the rubbers touching the radiator instead of plastic.

As long as you power the 3 pin TT fans from the board, it shouldn't be an issue. Rubber corners may or may not help. Any vibration starts in the motor. Reduce vibrations there and the corners don't matter. That said, not every fan is going to be a $35 masterpiece. I like rubber gaskets for radiators. The 7mm thick version from Phobya also moves the blades just a little further from the fins. This has a secondary effect of softening the sound -- both vibration and air. I fond them to be helpful on rifle bearing fans that aren't always so smooth in the inverted position. There are also more common 2mm thick types when space is at a premium.

When you take the cooler out of the box and hear a lot of sloshing around, things probably won't turn out great.

Archived