Corsair Community

XMP profile was wrong on my memory CMK8GX4M2B4000C19R

terroralpha

hi

i bought some ddr4 4000MHz memory, but the preloaded XMP profile is only for 3500MHz. what the french toast???

i have two sets of this memory with the same issue. same lot number and serial numbers are very close. first set serials end with 36 and 37, second set serials end with 44, 45. the leading numbers of the serial on both sets are identical.

Will the X99-Deluxe even allow you to load a 4000 XMP profile?

Do not believe the bios will allow.

well, that explains it. i actually tried using this memory in an ASrock X99 Extreme4. but i'll try it in the Asus board later this week, the computers are in two different locations. i haven't tried to force the clock speed.

only tried loading the XMP profile in the BIOS. but the name of the XMP profile reads 3500 MHz, not 4000 MHz. see the attachment. is this a chipset limitation?

it seems dumb that z170 boards can do 4000MHz or higher, but x99 can't.

IMG_3910.thumb.JPG.730a4aa46c6ccee0c847628d1a285b51.JPG

• Corsair Employees
well, that explains it. i actually tried using this memory in an ASrock X99 Extreme4. but i'll try it in the Asus board later this week, the computers are in two different locations. i haven't tried to force the clock speed.

only tried loading the XMP profile in the BIOS. but the name of the XMP profile reads 3500 MHz, not 40000 MHz. see the attachment. is this a chipset limitation?

it seems dumb that z170 boards can do 4000MHz or higher, but x99 can't.

It's just a limitation of the chipset and internal memory controller.

And possibly a programmed BIOS limitation as well. I don't know much about the ASRock. My Asus Pro will allow me try manual memory timings up to 4000 on BIOS 2101. I suspect your Deluxe will be the same. Frankly, I would be shocked if it could load XMP settings at 4000, even if the BIOS allowed it. I would think manual tuning is required for that level.

On a side note, is this just for sport? I confess I have not tried it, but I would think 2x4@4000 wouldn't get you much utility compared to your 4x4@3000 on an X99 Quad channel.

oh well :(

And possibly a programmed BIOS limitation as well. I don't know much about the ASRock. My Asus Pro will allow me try manual memory timings up to 4000 on BIOS 2101. I suspect your Deluxe will be the same. Frankly, I would be shocked if it could load XMP settings at 4000, even if the BIOS allowed it. I would think manual tuning is required for that level.

On a side note, is this just for sport? I confess I have not tried it, but I would think 2x4@4000 wouldn't get you much utility compared to your 4x4@3000 on an X99 Quad channel.

i needed a new set of RAM for a new build. i was going to buy a 3000MHz set, but newegg had a crazy sale on these. i only paid $160 for everything. and they came bundled with the vengeance airflow fans that you put over the DIMMs. i thought these would be nice to have to provide some extra airflow around the VRM area since this PC is entirely water cooled.

i haven't tried these in the x99 deluxe yet. but i will probably tomorrow.

hi

i bought some ddr4 4000MHz memory, but the preloaded XMP profile is only for 3500MHz. what the french toast???

i have two sets of this memory with the same issue. same lot number and serial numbers are very close. first set serials end with 36 and 37, second set serials end with 44, 45. the leading numbers of the serial on both sets are identical.

Your board should be able to run those sticks at advertised speed. It might sound like stating the obvious, but have you checked if there is a BIOS update available?

I own its smaller sibling (Micro ATX) which is perfectly capable of running XMP @4000 MHz.

• Corsair Employees
Your board should be able to run those sticks at advertised speed. It might sound like stating the obvious, but have you checked if there is a BIOS update available?

I own its smaller sibling (Micro ATX) which is perfectly capable of running XMP @4000 MHz.

Which specific keyboard and bios do you have? and the CPU?

Which specific keyboard and bios do you have? and the CPU?

I have a Core i7-5820K on an Asus X99-M WS with BIOS version 0502 (2015/10/14).

I'm currently running on 1x CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 (32GB) in Quad Channel modus at advertised speed (1600 MHz/DDR4-3200).

http://i.imgur.com/MEHOjTk.png

A friend running a Z170 board asked me to test his 2x CMK8GX4M2B4000C19 (16GB) memory as he suspected it to be faulty. I've tested it at 2000 Mhz (DDR4-4000) in Quad Channel modus by selecting the presented XMP profile within the BIOS. It ran Prime (p95v289.win64) for 16 hours without a single warning or error.

Since my board is merely a cheaper, downsized (µATX) version of the X99 Deluxe, I have a hard time believing its more potent brother wouldn't be able to at least match its speed.

• Corsair Employees
I have a Core i7-5820K on an Asus X99-M WS with BIOS version 0502 (2015/10/14).

I'm currently running on 1x CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 (32GB) in Quad Channel modus at advertised speed (1600 MHz/DDR4-3200).

http://i.imgur.com/MEHOjTk.png

A friend running a Z170 board asked me to test his 2x CMK8GX4M2B4000C19 (16GB) memory as he suspected it to be faulty. I've tested it at 2000 Mhz (DDR4-4000) in Quad Channel modus by selecting the presented XMP profile within the BIOS. It ran Prime (p95v289.win64) for 16 hours without a single warning or error.

Since my board is merely a cheaper, downsized (µATX) version of the X99 Deluxe, I have a hard time believing its more potent brother wouldn't be able to at least match its speed.

Your board is a smaller version of the Workstation board, not the deluxe, and that kit you mention to be compatible is not shown in the screenshots as compatible.

As much as you'd like to help, please post proof of the claims you make or you'll start misguiding people with information that is not correct.

Your board is a smaller version of the Workstation board, not the deluxe, and that kit you mention to be compatible is not shown in the screenshots as compatible.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly (I do understand the Workstation part though). The AIDA stats are a result of the cache and memory benchmark performed on CMK32GX4M4B3200C16, which are my current sticks. Here is some proof:

http://i.imgur.com/ov8Pa46.png

The two kits I've tested for a friend (CMK8GX4M2B4000C19) are no longer in my (or his) possession. He returned them as he was unable to get them working at advertised speed. However, I can assure you they worked flawlessly in my configuration.

As much as you'd like to help, please post proof of the claims you make or you'll start misguiding people with information that is not correct.

The sole reason I am even browsing these forums is that according to my friend, Corsair is not being of any help. If there is any misguiding, it's on Corsair's part and not the people whom post their experiences. In this case I am suggesting he should opt for the latest BIOS release, version 3004 (2016/04/13) and nothing more.

My UEFI BIOS has XMP profiles up to DDR4-4000. If you want proof of that as well, just let me know. Mainly all Asus boards which have the "O.C. socket" feature should allow for stable, higher memory speeds. An XMP profile is nothing more than a predefined set of values for specific timing variables. If you don't have the profile preloaded, you can always configure them manually.

http://i.imgur.com/u9YXHHg.png

It might sound odd, but the CPU voltage (stability and amount) is of great importance for memory compatibility, as the memory controller (IMC) for these processors has been integrated into the CPU. A cheap PSU or bad VRM's can be responsible for poor overclocking results, regardless of the CPU being used. My friend has a Corsair VS650 and I have a fairly old Enermax Platimax EPM600AWT. When we swapped PSU's, Prime failed (repeatedly) on me within 10 minutes. I didn't make any changes other than replacing the PSU. Putting the Enermax back in, made crunching numbers with Prime a walk in the park again. Unfortunately using my PSU on his system didn't solve the memory issue.

If Corsair genuinely would like to support their customers, they should be able to test their own products on popular brands' boards. Enthusiasts don't buy a budget board with pricy high performance memory, so there is no need to have a ridiculous amount of different motherboards in stock. When Corsair's support has its own testbed, they can find a configuration that works for everyone using the same components. Until then, people are depending on other users/customers to share their experiences and hopefully solving the issue(s).

And possibly a programmed BIOS limitation as well. I don't know much about the ASRock. My Asus Pro will allow me try manual memory timings up to 4000 on BIOS 2101. I suspect your Deluxe will be the same.

you were right! but the asus board was able to do it. unfortunately, the ASrock motherboard is not programmed to allow memory to run at that speed. 3500 MHz is the hard limit.

just tried it on my Asus X99 Deluxe. i was able to do 4000MHz just fine. one odd thing happened, it set the blk frequency to 167MHz. that's insane! i wonder why it did that. anyway, i set it to 125MHz and chnaged the multiplier to 37. so now the memory is running at 4000 MHz and the CPU at 4.6 GHz. everything seems to be OK.

The higher 167 strap is in theory more stable than a 125 strap, which in turn is more stable than 100, etc. Asus programmed the BIOS to automatically enable a particular strap based on memory frequency, but it does not mean it is required or the board will not function on another. They are just playing the odds. For a long time anything at 2666 and above forced a 125 strap. That was relaxed eventually. While the 167 strap may offer more stability at 4000, it does complicate things further. Glad you could get it run at 125 and 4000.

I would stay away from the 300x Broadwell-E BIOS versions. They have some known issues, they were designed for the upcoming Broadwell-E chips, and I doubt we'll see any fixes until after those chips hit the market.

• Corsair Employees
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly (I do understand the Workstation part though). The AIDA stats are a result of the cache and memory benchmark performed on CMK32GX4M4B3200C16, which are my current sticks. Here is some proof:

http://i.imgur.com/ov8Pa46.png

The two kits I've tested for a friend (CMK8GX4M2B4000C19) are no longer in my (or his) possession. He returned them as he was unable to get them working at advertised speed. However, I can assure you they worked flawlessly in my configuration.

The sole reason I am even browsing these forums is that according to my friend, Corsair is not being of any help. If there is any misguiding, it's on Corsair's part and not the people whom post their experiences. In this case I am suggesting he should opt for the latest BIOS release, version 3004 (2016/04/13) and nothing more.

My UEFI BIOS has XMP profiles up to DDR4-4000. If you want proof of that as well, just let me know. Mainly all Asus boards which have the "O.C. socket" feature should allow for stable, higher memory speeds. An XMP profile is nothing more than a predefined set of values for specific timing variables. If you don't have the profile preloaded, you can always configure them manually.

http://i.imgur.com/u9YXHHg.png

It might sound odd, but the CPU voltage (stability and amount) is of great importance for memory compatibility, as the memory controller (IMC) for these processors has been integrated into the CPU. A cheap PSU or bad VRM's can be responsible for poor overclocking results, regardless of the CPU being used. My friend has a Corsair VS650 and I have a fairly old Enermax Platimax EPM600AWT. When we swapped PSU's, Prime failed (repeatedly) on me within 10 minutes. I didn't make any changes other than replacing the PSU. Putting the Enermax back in, made crunching numbers with Prime a walk in the park again. Unfortunately using my PSU on his system didn't solve the memory issue.

If Corsair genuinely would like to support their customers, they should be able to test their own products on popular brands' boards. Enthusiasts don't buy a budget board with pricy high performance memory, so there is no need to have a ridiculous amount of different motherboards in stock. When Corsair's support has its own testbed, they can find a configuration that works for everyone using the same components. Until then, people are depending on other users/customers to share their experiences and hopefully solving the issue(s).

Yes, I don't think you're understanding correctly. No one has brought up 3200MT/s memory not working on your board on the X99 platform. The AIDA benchmarks showing that are unnecessary for this thread.

The proof I'm asking for is for the 2 separate kits of 8gb @4000MT/s working well on your board. Did you test 2 kits? Or 1? He's asking about 2.

Who is your friend? Does he have a ticket number? Or a question that has been unanswered here on the forums?

Again, please refrain from misguiding on here since you're comparing tomatoes to potatoes. I do agree latest versions of BIOS on ASUS boards are outstanding and I can't recommend them any more if I tried.

We don't need a proof of the bios you have on the board you have listing a bios that is up to 4000MT/s, the issue here is that 2 kits of these will likely not work as it is quite a high frequency for the X99 chipset and the weak IMCs in the CPUs for that line.

I couldn't agree more with you as far as having a bad PSU or even a lower-quality board will easily affect these values for the higher binned memory and their frequencies/timings/voltages.

We support the customer as much as we can and we do test kits on separate motherboards (usually with the latest bios at the time of testing), if we do not list these modules as compatible it's usually for a good reason. Listing which set ups are compatible with each memory kit is not an easy task.

We have more than 1 testbed, so not sure where you are getting the idea that we don't.

Customer experiences on here are just that, they do not define what works or doesn't, since not everyone will have the exact same setup nor bios version, nor quite a few more variables, although I'll agree that users on here are quite helpful, but most do provide proof for their claims instead of stating that the kits do work well on a setup but it's impossible to prove since the 2 kits are not available still.

All in all, pretty good info all around and I'm still glad that you and other users seem to be active on this forum.

P.S. Seems like OP was able to get it to work correctly for now, so that's a plus ( we would still not be able to add it to the memory compatibility list if it has already been tested and not passed our tests which might be a bit more demanding).

I'll provide you two reasons for posting CPU-Z/AIDA64 screenshots of kit CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 within this thread:

1. To show the memory is working on X99-M WS boards despite it not being part of Asus' QVL. Potential buyers who are wondering which kit to purchase and stumble upon this thread (i.e. by using Google) will learn it's compatible.

2. To show I actually own an X99 board and I'm not talking out of my ***. Apparently some people tend to do that?

I initially didn't have the intention to post anything on these forums, but while looking for a solution to my friend's memory issue, I noticed he was not alone and Corsair is neglecting people to death. I'm guessing you want proof of this as well? Take a look at this thread and its 100+ customers (319 posts) who are begging Corsair to support their purchased product.

I'm not trying to bite your head of here, I honestly believe you're doing anything you can to provide the best support. However, leaving customers in the dark for over 8 months doesn't show great compassion. In case of the mentioned Z170 boards, why doesn't Corsair come with a solid statement? If the memory is not compatible, just say so. If it needs a bit of tweaking to get it stable, provide the correct timings (not only CL, TRCD, TRP and TRAS) and put a how-to on YouTube.

When it comes to X99 Deluxe and X99-M WS supporting 4000MT/s memory configurations, I fully understand that you can't just take my (or terroralpha's for that matter) word for it and put it on the compatibility list without having seen any proof. This has never been my goal. The sole purpose was to share my experience with this type of memory on an X99 board. All Asus Deluxe/Maximus/WS X99 boards (when supported by UEFI) should be able to run DDR4-4000 at 2000 MHz.

• Corsair Employees
I'll provide you two reasons for posting CPU-Z/AIDA64 screenshots of kit CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 within this thread:

1. To show the memory is working on X99-M WS boards despite it not being part of Asus' QVL. Potential buyers who are wondering which kit to purchase and stumble upon this thread (i.e. by using Google) will learn it's compatible.

2. To show I actually own an X99 board and I'm not talking out of my ***. Apparently some people tend to do that?

I initially didn't have the intention to post anything on these forums, but while looking for a solution to my friend's memory issue, I noticed he was not alone and Corsair is neglecting people to death. I'm guessing you want proof of this as well? Take a look at this thread and its 100+ customers (319 posts) who are begging Corsair to support their purchased product.

I'm not trying to bite your head of here, I honestly believe you're doing anything you can to provide the best support. However, leaving customers in the dark for over 8 months doesn't show great compassion. In case of the mentioned Z170 boards, why doesn't Corsair come with a solid statement? If the memory is not compatible, just say so. If it needs a bit of tweaking to get it stable, provide the correct timings (not only CL, TRCD, TRP and TRAS) and put a how-to on YouTube.

When it comes to X99 Deluxe and X99-M WS supporting 4000MT/s memory configurations, I fully understand that you can't just take my (or terroralpha's for that matter) word for it and put it on the compatibility list without having seen any proof. This has never been my goal. The sole purpose was to share my experience with this type of memory on an X99 board. All Asus Deluxe/Maximus/WS X99 boards (when supported by UEFI) should be able to run DDR4-4000 at 2000 MHz.

1. People will not learn it is compatible. People will learn it has worked for you. As many cases, not only for RAM, this doesn't instantly make a kit compatible with a specific motherboard.

2. You do own an X99 motherboard, as many other users here do, no one doubted that; once again.

Why doesn't Corsair come out with what? We have already stated what we determine to be the cause of the issue but this doesn't seem to be understood. If we find more issues, we will let the public know.

You still don't understand the point of running 4000MT/s. We're not taking a stance on that yet, but the user had 2 separate kits. Even if it were 2133, we can't ever guarantee for 2 separate kits to be compatible even if they share the exact same part number.

The higher 167 strap is in theory more stable than a 125 strap, which in turn is more stable than 100, etc. Asus programmed the BIOS to automatically enable a particular strap based on memory frequency, but it does not mean it is required or the board will not function on another. They are just playing the odds. For a long time anything at 2666 and above forced a 125 strap. That was relaxed eventually. While the 167 strap may offer more stability at 4000, it does complicate things further. Glad you could get it run at 125 and 4000.

I would stay away from the 300x Broadwell-E BIOS versions. They have some known issues, they were designed for the upcoming Broadwell-E chips, and I doubt we'll see any fixes until after those chips hit the market.

both of my 5930K CPUs overclock like bats out of hell, but refuse to boot when strap is set to 167 with a CPU frequency of over 3GHz. but with a strap of 125, one of my CPUs can do 4.6, the other 4.8GHz. water cooled, of course.

Archived