Corsair Community

old h80 vs new h80i v2

lavonthurston

Question? Is there a big or small temp difference (when you overclock cpu) between the old h80 vs H80i v2? Ihave the old version the cold plate on my h80 is square not round, I want to know because i have cooler master haf 922 case and i think that h80 are the only one too fit it, and if upgrading it to the h80i v2 can do the trick i will do it or if not the i will get these (Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Full Tower ATX Case & Hydro Series™ H115i 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler to replace this rig. Need some input

I don't think there's much of a difference at all

It's just that the water block is round instead of square, and you can control the pumps RPM, and also it all just plugs into one fan header

The CoolIT H80 has two fan controllers and the Asetek H80iV2 only has one so both fans should run at the same speed and only one fan speed is reported.

The H80iV2 reports a fan speed to the CPU Fan header and the H80 reports the pump speed.

I prefer the CoolIT H110i to the Asetek H115i, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986.

In addition to the above, there is a radiator size difference. The old H80 is 38mm thick. The new H80i GT/V2 are 49mm thick and 99mm with the dual 25mm fans. That is a big package to fit, so make sure you have room. Also, the older H80 has reasonably flexible ribbed tubes. The H80i V2 has substantially thicker tubes and a top insertion into the pump. That one is fairly plain to see in pictures, but if you need to make tight turns it could be problematic. Different fan speed limits, but the fan design is similar.

As far as cooling performance, it's hard to make direct comparisons on like hardware because of the time gap between the two units. However, you could bootstrap your way up. The H80i that replaced the H80 was about 1-3C better. The H80i GT/V2 is about 2-3C better than the H80i. So perhaps you can net a 3-5C improvement with the thicker radiator.

Archived