Corsair Community

Possible Faulty CX430M?

RWise232

I have been asked to look at a friends computer which often will not power on properly. Sometimes it will boot fine but on most occasions the fans and drives will spin up but the computer will not POST (no beeps, no display). The spec of the computer is:

Gigabyte GAF2A88XM-D3H motherboard

AMD A8-6600K CPU

Corsair CX430M PSU

2 x DDR3 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP memory

1 x Samsung 120GB SSD

1 x Seagate SATA3 2TB HDD

1 x Optical Drive

As a test I disconnected all devices except for the motherboard CPU and memory but it still would not boot. I then put his memory in my computer and ran memtest for a couple of hours with no errors so the memory is fine. I finally swapped his 430W PSU with my 620W PSU (Corsair HX620W) and the system is currently booting fine. This would seem to indicate a faulty PSU however I tested the PSU with a multitester and all voltage readings were in expected parameters (I know this is not definitive confirmation but it is the best I can do in home conditions).

Should the 430W PSU be powerful enough to run the listed spec?

Could the PSU still be faulty if all the voltage readings are correct?

Are there any tests I can do while the computer is powered on using my PSU to indicate if there are any issues with the motherboard that may be contributing to it not working with the CX430M?

Should the 430W PSU be powerful enough to run the listed spec - definitely.. that setup doesn't require that much power at all, especially if it's happening while the computer is booting

Could the PSU still be faulty if all the voltage readings are correct - yes

Are there any tests I can do while the computer is powered on using my PSU to indicate if there are any issues with the motherboard that may be contributing to it not working with the CX430M - not sure, maybe someone else will have more info, sorry

Archived