Corsair Community

H80i GT - Really high temperatures (71-91C leading to crash)

VBM

I recently had to replace my first generation H80 cooler, as it turned out there was a leak, luckily no parts of my PC were damaged, with an H80i GT. Upon replacing the cooler, I booted up and right away things were a bit off, my PC would keep going in reboot cycles and till I finally just reset the BIOS settings to the defaults (taking overclock and memory profiles down to stock and below stock values respectively) which allowed me to boot up into my OS.

Unfortunately, I am still getting temps as high as 71 - 84C at idle! depending on if my case is on it's side or standing up right, with the lower temperature being on it's side. I was able to get it working for roughly 4 hours at....slugging performance but the entire time, even from idle to 100% CPU load it stated my temperature was 90-91C before it finally crashed when I was performing a 3D image rendering.

I know this isn't nearly normal temperatures for the H80i GT (or even the stock cooler to be fair) at idle. Is there something I've done incorrectly? I've checked the HS plate is seated on the CPU, as I can see the thermal paste which comes with the cooler already applied, has made contact with the CPU itself.

My system specs are listed in my profile.

Is there something I've done incorrectly?

Maybe, but it's hard to know from what you have posted. I would guess at the CPU to Cooler thermal contact being poor, but really would need to know:

1. What is the H80iGT coolant temperature?
  2. What is the H80iGT pump speed?
  3. What is the H80iGT fan speed?
  4. Did you disable CPU_FAN control in the BIOS?

Maybe, but it's hard to know from what you have posted. I would guess at the CPU to Cooler thermal contact being poor, but really would need to know:

1. What is the H80iGT coolant temperature?
  2. What is the H80iGT pump speed?
  3. What is the H80iGT fan speed?
  4. Did you disable CPU_FAN control in the BIOS?

How can I get the coolant temperature with Corsair Link? I am running Ubuntu, and as far as I know I can't get that detail in non-Windows OS, correct?

Same applies for pump speed I believe?

Fan speed was going up to 2611 - 2667 RPM from BIOS.

No, I haven't disabled CPU fan speed in BIOS.

1. I am running Ubuntu, and as far as I know I can't get that detail in non-Windows OS, correct?
  2. Same applies for pump speed I believe?
  3. Fan speed was going up to 2611 - 2667 RPM from BIOS.
  4. No, I haven't disabled CPU fan speed in BIOS.

1. You can't use CL. Do you have a Windows system that you could plug the H80iGT USB cable into?
  2. Yes
  3. OK.
  4. Well you should have done, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158299

Archived