Corsair Community

Worst case scenario - Device fails question

whatsoup

So I've had a H110i GT for half a year now and I'm happy with it. My system is in a good place and don't need to adjust much any more.. I've had some great help on this forum from staff and community members in the past, so thank you.

One question: One day something is going to fail, it's just the nature of the beast, the pump is going to go one day, So what happens when one day I boot up and pump stops working? I don't have any warnings or shut down procedures setup. I will uninstall Link eventually as I'm now using mobo headers and not the supplied PWM connector (although I am getting RPM readouts in link people say I shouldn't be getting)

Could anyone run through what is more than likely happen when the pump eventually does fail? Any noticeable signs? I'd imagine the unit would still take /some/ of the heat coming from my 5820k @ 4.4 ghz and let it survive into windows before thermal shut down? Anyone got any experience with a failing pump or insight into what will happen eventually? Thanks

If you plugged the 3-pin coming from the pump to the CPU_FAN header, you will receive a CPU_FAN error if the pump stops working.

-Computer may feel not as "responsive" as it was before due to throttling

-High CPU temperatures (If you open something like RealTemp).

Pumps don't always go with a bang. More often the performance starts to diminish, the pump speed becomes erratic, etc. If it does blink off one day, damage to your CPU is unlikely. Even with a hot overclock, you are not going to reach thermal shutdown at idle. You would need to have some sort of load. The most likely result is you power on and notice increasing CPU fan speeds. The water (and idle CPU temps) would slowly climb from room temperature usually up until the 50-70C range, well below thermal shutdown.

If it's any comfort, at one point last Summer I was troubleshooting an issue with my H110 and 5820k (4.4GHz, 1.275v) and did not get the pump pin all the way back on the header. I did some MS Office work, web surfing, etc. for almost an hour before noticing. CPU temps were still under 50C with the fans running and no pump.

I'd be more concerned about what happens if it started leaking than if the pump died....as pointed out motherboards have failsafes to alert you if the pump isn't working, and the cpu itself has a thermal cutoff point...but coolant all over your video card/motherboard/powersupply isn't something you will notice most likely until your system is ruined. as a backup for keeping track of temps you can set up some programs like MSI afterburner or realtemp to show your temperatures in the system tray, and set them to show always, that way if you boot up and notice your cpu immediately at like 80-90c you know something is very wrong.

Archived