Corsair Community

Which PSU should I buy to fight Coil whine?

rev89

I'm hypersensitive to high frequency sounds.

In 2012 I purchased the Corsair AX860i, it was the most expensive PSU I ever bought figuring that I could get a coil whine free psu if I spent enough cash. I was wrong and just a year in the coil whine started. I didn't RMA it because I didn't have a replacement laying around.

I'm now building a new computer and I want to know if Corsair has a product line that is more resistant to Coil whine?

Rev89,

You would need a replacement to have it RMA'd. We offer express option to our customers.

The terms of the Express RMA are as follows:

This process requires a valid Credit Card where a holding fee will be applied for the cost of the product until the returning product(s) are received by Corsair. Once the Credit Card information has been processed we will send you your replacement unit. When you receive it, please send in your defective product. To avoid being fully charged for the Express Replacement product(s), the defective product(s) must be received by Corsair within 10 business days from the date your Express Replacement order is shipped.

Thank you for replying.

I didn't know you guys offer express RMA , that is awesome. I have no use for it in my case as I said I am building a new computer , I already passed on the AX860i to a family member that isn't bothered by the coil whine so I'm just going to leave it with that, other then the coil whine it's a very good power supply.

My question was if you guys have a psu product line that is more resilliant against coil whine, mainly I wanted to ask that because of this article done in 2013 : http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/2013/september/coil-whine.

I want to know if I have a better chance with the RM series then with the AX series.

Best regards.

Rev89,

To be clear I hope your are suggesting the new models of PSU's AXi vs RMi and RMx. Both of these series are very well to do in itself. Albeit that you must've read a lot of coil whine issues and complaints in the forums here but remember we sell thousands of PSUdaily and to have 5-10 bad PSU's are given.

To answer your question directly, they both would do fine, I would go with the AXi PSU's if the choice was given.

Archived