Possible bad RAM - TWINX CMX3200

Jaceson

Memory Info:

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3202 v1.2

0333016 (same for both sticks)

Motherboard info:

MSI 865PE

I'm actually not sure if the memory is 'bad'. It was running fine and stable since I bought it last October, running on the SPD settings at 400 Mhz. Then, a few days ago, my computer stopped POST'ing, even though I have changed no hardware or software in the last few months. If I remove one or the other stick from my computer, it will manage to POST, but not if I put both back in, even with the memory timings at the lowest possible settings, and the clock speed set to 333 Mhz. I've set the DDR voltage as high as 2.9v, but no joy there either.

Is there any way I can know for certain if the memory is going out on me, and if so, how I go about getting replacements?

Thanks,

Jaceson

P.S. I'm not doing any overclocking of any sort

I can verify that it isn't the CPU, as I have swapped it out in the course of my troubleshooting. As for trying the memory in a different system...the only other system I have available is a totally different chipset, etc. so I would be suspect of the results of that test. They simply aren't similar enough for a valid comparisson.

While I agree with the theory, the awful truth of the matter is that some chipsets are more tolerant than others, and not all motherboards are equal. What works in one, won't necessarily work in another, no matter how similar they are...

That being said, I intend to try to memory in my other system for the sake of completeness, but if it works, I cannot necessarily lay the blame on my motherboard.

Well, I did not receive any memtest errors in the other system, but then again, it isn't a dual channel system, so I'm not sure if that's the best indicator. Single channel tests in the offending system do not show memtest errors, but putting in both memory sticks results in an immediate failure-to-POST.

Archived