Corsair Community

Hydro 110i GT sudden temp spikes

chivalryx

Hi everyone.

I've recently been having issues to with my 110i GT. Previously I was getting reasonable temps (35C idle, 65C load), but recently temps have spiked to 45C idle, 80+C on only 25% load.

Even setting everything to performance doesn't bring the temps down much (2-3C difference).

I've noticed when I set the pump speed to Performance, it goes up to around 2800rpm, and there's a loud constant grinding sound. In Quiet mode, it's quiet. I'm wondering if the pump is going, or perhaps the liquid is starting to dry up.

I've tried re-seating the heatsink, and ensuring there's no dust in the radiator, but it hasn't made any difference.

I'm a little sad that this is already happening as the unit was only purchased in July 2015. Any tips would be helpful.

What kind of water temperature (H110i GT temp) do you get at idle and that 25% load? This is usually the most helpful indicator to differentiate between a contact problem and some sort of pump flow problem. When faced with load, do the CPU temperatures instantly spike to a high level and stay even? Or do they continually climb until you stop the load?

The grinding is an issue, even if this is a contact problem. Have there been any physical changes prior to re-seating the pump? The pump speeds are within specification, but that does not rule a different kinds of flow problem.

How can I check the water temp?

The CPU temps and the H110i Temps are consistent. The H110i temp is around 2-3C less than the CPU temps, and they move in sync.

There were no physical changes prior to re-seating the pump. I haven't moved or opened my case in over 6 months, other than vacuuming the radiator and case filters. I didn't even notice it until my game crashed and I took a look at the Corsair Link reported temps.

Under load the CPU temps slowly keep climbing until I stop the load. When I introduce the 25% load it jumps from 45C to 65C, then after around 10-15 minutes of 25% load they already break the 75C mark, and keep going. I'm a little wary of excessive temps, so I stop it at 80C.

Just a side note, on Quiet, the pump goes at around 2300rpm, and Performance around 2800rpm.

Edit: *duh... you mentioned the H110i GT temp was water temp...sorry I'm not awake :p

Yes, the H110i GT Temp in Link Version 4 is the water/cooant temperature inside the system. Normally, this might be 4-9C above your room temperature and equal to your baseline CPU core temps at zero load idle. There is no reliable range I can give for load since there are so many factors involved. However, in a well functioning system, you might see water temps between 27-45C under varying states of load. The water temperature should be slow to change, even when under heavy load. When there is some kind of flow restriction, you will start to see water temperatures in the 50, 60, 70C range within a few minutes, not hours.

Continually rising temperatures usually means some sort of flow problem. What is the 25% load? Is this some application/game (as opposed to a stress test like Prime or AIDA64)? IF it takes 10-15 minutes under a stress test to start reach 75C, I am inclined to look at other things. If you are running a program/game and the CPU temps just keep climbing the entire time, then I would continue to focus on a possible flow problem.

Can you run one of the common stress tests and note the CPU and water temperatures? If you don't regularly use one, try the free versions of AIDA64, OCCT, or Intel XTU. It's too hard for me to guess the real load level for another application that likely varies quite a bit. You don't need to run very long -- just a few minutes. This will also take your experimentation time down from 10-15 minutes to 2-3. When you sail past 80C, stop and check the water temp. Also, give me a general room temperature if you can so I can adjust for that variable.

Thanks for the help figuring this out. I'll give AIDA64 a try when I get home in a few hours.

The 25% load is running a game, and the temps keep climbing the longer I'm in the game.

Just checking on my system remotely ambient temp is 24C, H110iGT temp is 50C and CPU is 50C... and other than my remote connection, there's nothing running. Pump shows 2350rpm, and fans are running at 1400rpm.

Will report back when I get a chance to try out AIDA64.

Ok, if you are 50c water temp at idle with pump speeds in the normal range, then you can skip the stress test. There is some sort of flow problem and you will need to RMA/replace the unit. There are several reasons why this could have happened, but you would need to take it apart to find out. I would be careful about leaving it running unattended until you can secure a replacement. The link to the RMA portal is at the bottom of the main page.

Archived