Corsair Community

750D Airflow Edition + best watercooler fit

DrkEagle

Hello, new to the forums (but have read a lot of threads) and new to water cooling. I'm planning my new build and I'm going to go with a 750D Airflow and I'm wondering what's going to be the biggest radiator with the best fit I can put in. I've also read this - AF120 vs SP120 and if I am understanding this correctly, I want to run 2 SP140's (blue LED ones) on the bottom of the radiator and then 2 AF140's on the top side of the radiator.

If the above is correct, then I guess my real question is: will the Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme Performance fit (with added 140's), or do I need to go with a 110 series (H110i GTX) that will fit? Mobo is a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. Thank you for any input!

There usually isn't a lot of benefit to mixing fan types on either side of the radiator. Sometimes there is a negative consequence, but that is down to each unique situation. Both fans are faced with the same resistance, regardless of which side of the radiator they occupy. If you really want to stack two pairs of fans in push-pull, go with 4 SP140's or 4 AF140's. The 4 AF140 package would provide less cooling than the 4xSP, however it would be functional and people choose this for aesthetic reasons. Now, whether or not you need 4 of anything on a 280mm radiator is something else.

You can choose either the H110i/GT or the H115i. You are not going to see a meaninful difference in cooling between either. There are a lot of threads outlining the small differences in appearance and firmware between the models. I would take the H115i over the GTX model it replaced. It does appear to have some firmware improvements over the prior edition.

Unfortunately, I just don't know the AMD chips as well as the Intel models, so I don't know much about your chip or your overclock plans. However, If you use the SP140: grey that come with either of the 280mm coolers, you don't need a second set of anything. At 2000 rpm, any push-pull is irrelevant in this kind of application. It is of benefit if you use weaker fans or ones not really designed for radiator use (like AF140). Where you might gain some advantage is at low speeds. 4 SP140 LED fans at 500-600 RPM will move more air than 2 SP140L at the same speed. However, this is not an enormous advantage and you can make up the difference by bumping up the speed by 200 rpm. So again, the real reason to do this is style. 4 LED fans has a different look than 2 grey fans.

One thing you should note, the SP140 LED fans are all 3 pin DC motors. This means you cannot control them through LINK or power them from the pump block. You would need to power and control them from the motherboard or some other fan controller. If you want to power and control them from the pump, the fans must be 4 pin PWM. There is a very small group of 4 pin PWM fans in the 140mm size on the market. This is a solvable problem, but unless you are sure on your course of action I usually recommend most people try the SP140L that come with the cooler before moving on to something else.

Thank you for the quick response. I was only going to do 2 LED's on the bottom of the radiator. Would the Corsair Commander Mini solve the LED 3 pin not working with LINK issue?

Yes, the CL Mini supports 3-pin fans, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759091

The Asetek H115i has better firmware than the H110iGTX, but it's still not as good as the CoolIT H110i/H110iGT firmware which has more LED control options and also two rather than one fan controller. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=795986.

In general I feel 4-pin PWM fans offer better control than 3-pin voltage fans and rather than getting 3-pin LED fans would get some LED strips and use the CL Mini to control those.

Archived