Corsair Community

PSU Recommendation for SuperMicro Board

Nasphreak

Hello All! Long time Corsair fan first time on the forums though!

I recently bought a and built a server setup using a SuperMicro X9DRD-EF-B. Love my build however not only am I looking to quiet down the system...the PSUs are EXTREMELY LOUD One of the power connectors for it is like literally so short from reaching where it needs to reach it barely fits and I do mean barely.

So I am looking to switching to a Corsair branded PSU for the build and even after some intense googling I am unable to answer my question.

I am looking for a PSU that has a 24Pin Connector, 2x CPU 8 Pin Connectors and a 4pin all for the motherboard without the need for an adapter

Also I need 6 Molex ( Don't mind using adapters here)

I can't really seem to find one that has the motherboard connectors..or maybe I am just reading the specs wrong, could anyone assist me? Thanks for your help!

Guess I should be a bit more specific...

This PSU would power a Dual Xeon 2670 Machine, with up to 24 HDDs I am ideally looking for between 800-1200W with all the previous requirements...

I found the Corsair AX Series with appears to support two CPU points AND I2C (could I direct connect this to the motherboard? Since i have a I2C port on my motherboard?) However I need 2 8 PIn and 4 Pin connector and I don't see any PSUs that have that, they have 2 8 pin(4+4) which I imagine is suppoed to support an 8Pin usually and a 4pin not 2 8s and a 4

I2C (could I direct connect this to the motherboard? Since i have a I2C port on my motherboard?)

Either the AX860i or AX1200i will provide 1 x 24 + 2 x 8, but AFAIK no Corsair PSU also comes with 1 x 4 cable and you would need to get an extra cable to provide this. Further looking in the manual I can't find the pin definitions for the 4-pin JPW4 connecter. I expect they will be much the same as JPW2/JPW3 but you should check this with Supermicro support.

The 8-pin CPU connector is actually a double 4-pin connector so you would need to get http://www.ebay.com/itm/181497850466 or similar to directly connect JPW4 to another of the 6+2 PCI-E / 4+4 CPU connections. See http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/parts-and-accessories/power-supply-parts-and-accessories?accseries=AX%2c%20AXi%2c%20CSM%2c%20CXM%2c%20HX%2c%20HXi%2c%20RM%2c%20TXM|AXi%2c%20HXi%2c%20RM|AXi%2c%20CXM%2c%20HX%2c%20TXM|.

There would be little point in connecting the AXi PSU to the motherboard I2C/SMBus header as the Corsair Link software would not see it. It should either be connected to an internal USB2 header or a Corsair Link Mini.

Both PSUs have 6 x Molex/SATA outputs which should be enough for all your disks.

http://img.hexus.net/v2/psu/Corsair/AX860i/InputB.jpghttp://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2012-08-29/11a-Front.jpg

Thanks for your reply!

I figured I would need an extra cable or too, My main concern was just volt/wiring difference, but after reading your post I feel confident that one of those two AXi ones will be my ultimate choice.

As far as the I2C is concerned, I honestly probably would not use the Corsair Link program..because well it will be in a box most likely running a Linux Server on it ;)

Thanks again for your quick answer!

I honestly probably would not use the Corsair Link program..because well it will be in a box most likely running a Linux Server on it ;)

If you look at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120092 you will see some were working on Linux, but it's all gone rather quiet of late. It's not that hard to read the PSU sensors via the C-Link/I2C/SMBus as they are basically PMBus PWM power controller chips and all of AIDA64, HWiNFO and SIV (my utility) can do this on Windows.

I also suspect HXi + RMi PSUs would be OK, though I think they only come with 1 x 8-pin CPU cable.

Just a word of caution... See here. I don't know the ultimate resolution of the second poster's issue and you do need to skip over the trash scattered about. However, of note is SuperMicro's position on other power supplies. Which ever PSU you select may work just fine and the poster has a different board, but if not, the options may be limited.

Just a word of caution... See here. I don't know the ultimate resolution of the second poster's issue and you do need to skip over the trash scattered about. However, of note is SuperMicro's position on other power supplies. Which ever PSU you select may work just fine and the poster has a different board, but if not, the options may be limited.

As a server-oriented company, I figured SuperMicro would have an attitude to something like that. And he may have a different board but we are in the same family his is just a single socket variant basically and running the same chipset.

Hmm so it looks like the AXi might not be a good choice for me to use..or well probably any i Corsair one. Switching to an regular AX series though, or RMx Series, as long as I buy an extra cable or two should be fine then.

So using the lets say AX860 obviously the 24Pin one would plug into the appropriate 24Pin Spot, and the 2x8pin and 1x4Pin would plug into 3 of the 6 spots labelled PCIE 6 + 2 & 4+4CPU.

Is that true for all PSUs are the PCIE and CPU ones typically the same slots on the PSU? So if thats the case all I should worry about is that it has enough and the overall wattage and now apparently I have to worry about Digital vs Analog ;)

So I decided to buy the AX860....I am having an issue locating a decent and affordable EPS 4+4 Pin Cable(or 1 8Pin) Since I need 3 of them in total and it only comes with one.

From the corsair website It appears this PSU only has the Kit and a 24pin, no single cables....and all the Sleeve companies or anything like that charge an outrageous amount for shipping for 1 cable (20 bucks or more). And ebay doesn't seem to have any...because this is a server I could care less what the cable looks like at this point..does anyone know where to buy another cable at a decent price?

Archived