Corsair Community

DDR 4 Voltage Question

Sid Cannon

Hello everybody, my 2500K CPU & Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard both died on me at the same time about a month ago. I've no idea what killed them, but the new Skylake build I'm planning on, I'm going to remove as many variables for a dead CPU & Motherboard as possible.

So I won't be overclocking my new CPU and I don't want to overclock the Corsair RAM I'm planning on getting either. I've noticed that some DDR4 runs at 1.2V and some at 1.35V. Is 1.35V perfectly safe for the Skylake memory controller, or is 1.2V safer?

Also what is the maximum speed RAM I can buy without XMP applying a factory overclock. With my old DDR3 motherboard anything over 1600MHz was considered an overclock and I don't know why.

When you buy DDR4 is anything over 2133MHz considered an overclock or am I missing something?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sid

Cheers for that, so I guess the higher the speed of RAM you get, the more stress it puts on the memory controller?

I always thought RAM would be binned like CPU's, and the RAM you bought would run at the rated speed without having to overclock anything.

Thanks again

Sid

XMP based kits are binned for their specs, but if you don't want to use an XMP you are stuck with what the JEDEC defined in their DDR4 standard or manual overclocking. So until the JEDEC expands the standard, manufacturers have to use XMP for anything that is not covered by the standard like e.g. higher frequencies and/or lower timings (that is why kits like the CMD16GX4M4B2133C10 also are XMP based).

The DDR3 Standard tops out at DDR3-1333 CL9, DDR3-1600 CL11 and DDR3-1866 CL13. So anything specced higher than that or had different timings at those frequencies was XMP based as well.

Higher memory frequency or more modules put more stress on the IMC, but Skylake has lots of headroom in terms of frequency. In most cases where people are struggling with their high frequency memory is not so much an IMC issue but their motherboard that is holding them back (see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156580).

my 2500K CPU & Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard both died on me at the same time

In most cases when CPU and board die simultaneously it is either a defective power supply that killed both or the board that blew up and took the CPU with it.

In most cases when CPU and board die simultaneously it is either a defective power supply that killed both or the board that blew up and took the CPU with it.

I thought it might be the PSU as well which is an RM1000i that I bought last October. I had an i3 lying around so I bought a cheap MSI motherboard just so as if it was the PSU I wouldn't be chancing losing much. Anyway the i3 with that MSI board and the RM1000i is fine, so I guess it was something that died on the motherboard and took the CPU with it. Maybe the VRM.

Any ideas if 1.2V RAM is safer than 1.35V RAM on Skylake? Seems to me it's similar to a CPU where you bump up the voltage to overclock it.

Thanks again

Sid

Archived