Corsair Community

XMS3 and voltage

PurSpyk

Hi

I recently installed XMS3 in my one computer, 24GB of DDRR3 (CMX4GX3M1A1600C9). My question I used the xms profile in the BIOS and the voltage defaults to 1.65v. I then decided to try the ram at 1.50v, ran memtest over night and the ram passed, now my question is, why would I need to run the ram at 1.65v if 1.50v is enough for the ram to be stable?

The XMP voltage is predefined by the model number, so even if the original ICs that were used actually needed 1.65V for those specs and later ones don't, the programmed XMP voltage stays the same.

For other specs the effect is not very common, but the early DDR3-1333 / DDR3-1600 CL9 kits are the standard example for this.

If you buy a model using a XMP voltage of 1.65V, that is what you get. Even though the ICs used on a specific kit might need less than that, the programmed XMP voltage is still 1.65V. Of course you can lower the voltage manually, but how far you get with that will vary from kit to kit. In most cases it will be less than 150mV, though.

My CMD16GX3M4A2400C9 actually only needed around 1.55V instead of 1.65V for their XMP. In this case it is most likely just generous binning by Corsair, however.

Archived