Corsair Community

Is H80i OK for LGA1151 Core i7-6700K ?

Eurosim

Wanting to upgrade ready for the Oculus Rift VR headset. I already have a GTX980Ti card but need to upgrade the CPU, et. I have decided on a 'Skylake' bundle from Overclockers UK (Core i7-6700K), but the supplied CPU cooler will NOT fit in my case. I do NOT want another case. I have an unopened boxed Corsair Hydro Series H80i CPU cooler (a purchase mistake at the time). The box does not mention LGA1151 socket, but Overclockers thinks that this will be OK to fit, but suggested contacting Corsair first. Will the H80i be OK for this CPU, as the H80i WILL fit in my Cooler Master case. Advice please.

I assume we are talking about the prior generation H80i (square block, piano black finish). It should be able to cool a moderately overclocked 6700k. It's a 38mm thick radiator with dual fans, taking the overall thickness to 88mm. The natural mounting point is the rear exhaust slot. Just about every case there is can handle a 120mm cooler in that position. As long as your motherboard doesn't have a huge obstruction on the left hand side, it should fit. However, you didn't specify which CM case you have, so this is a generalization.

There is a down side to using any radiator in the rear exhaust slot. The water in the system and the air passing through it are affected by the GPU waste heat. With a 980 Ti you will have a lot of that. Your CPU temperatures while gaming will be higher than if the radiator was located in another position. However, if a 240mm radiator will not fit, I suspect this is the only real option and GPU card length would likely prevent a front mount --- something that might not be advantageous anyway.

If the H80i is non-returnable and you've been sitting on it this long, try it. You will not be in danger of overheating the CPU, but you won't have the coldest temperatures around either.

OK. Thanks for that. I will try it when I get the upgrade package. I just did not want to get another case, as the Cooler Master case is big enough, and is a custom fit with the shelving, so a bigger case will probably will not fit. I will keep watch on the CPU Temp.

Archived