Corsair Community

Fans STAY at full speed after resuming sleep mode Windows 10

Luc_Thibault

Hi everyone,

I was very happy after running the Q-Fan calibration feature in my BIOS.

However I have another issue. When resuming from sleeping mode, all fans go full blast just like they do during the start-up phase; however they keep that speed and don't go back to their original state.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Which fans specifically (model)? Location? Motherboard header or powered from a Corsair cooler (H80i/100/110i/115)?

I am wondering if you are running some 3 pin DC fan on the CPU and/or OPT headers on your board, but I'll wait for your response.

Hi C-attack

My reseller did the setup. It is a Graphite series 760T Black XL-ATX Full-Tower. The other specs are in my profile for the motherboard etc.

There are three fans in addition to the CPU and graphic card: two with red leds in the front and one in the back, all 12VDC 0.3A. The one in the back is connected with a 3 pin connector.

I wanted the fans to be a bit less noisy and used the Q-Fan calibration feature in the BIOS. I was quite happy with the end result before I used the sleeping mode in windows...now when I turn it back on the fan speed doesn't change as it does at startup, i.e. the normal procedure where they start full speed and then go quiet once the BIOS settles in.

Hope this is clear, english is not my first language as you probably noticed LOL.

I was wondering about the fans that are connected to the CPU_FAN header at the top of the motherboard, specifically whether they are the 3 pin DC voltage type or something else. Is it all fans at 100% after wake? Or just the top fans? (CPU_FAN)

I'll share what I know about this and we can see if matches your circumstances or if we need to look at something else. The Asus X99 A/Pro/Deluxe boards appear to have this problem. It is triggered after waking from sleep. My X99-PRO is a sister board to your A model and is nearly identical. My original deluxe model had this same issue. I asked in Asus forums and received the typical terse, unhelpful response. I asked again elsewhere and every time I received a completely different explanation. I returned that board for several reasons, including this. In total, I have experienced this on both the deluxe and two different X99-PRO models. It only happens to me when I am using 3 pin DC fans on the CPU_FAN header. Moving those fans to any other CHA_FAN header eliminated the problem. My 3 pin DC pump does not cause this, however I suspect this is because I only use it at "Full Speed" which eliminates the header from AI suite control. My best guess is this is a interaction problem between the X99 BIOS, AI Suite 3, and whatever happens when you wake from sleep. One possibility is the board's auto fan detect mode (PWM or DC) reverts to PWM mode (constant 12V) when it wakes. This causes the DC fans to run at 100%. I have always been able to stop it by restarting the system, but obviously that is not ideal.

The three fans that came with the 760 case are all Corsair 3 pin fans. The rear is likely connected to your CHA_1 header. The front two fans to either CHA_3 or 4. What I am curious about is what's connected to CPU_FAN and OPT. These two headers are side by side, just above the left memory bank at the top of the board. Is it an air tower with fans? A water cooler? Two fans at the top of the case?

Check the BIOS settings (Q-Fan) to make sure your case fans are set to DC mode. It can be difficult to tell whether DC or PWM mode is selected. DC mode will have a taller curve with a minimum of 60%. The PWM curve has a much lower start. I don't think this is the issue or the fans would run at 100% all the time. However, it's good to verify it.

I found this issue was not dependent on operating system and occurred in both Windows 7 and 10. There are other possibilities, but this is something that can be easily verified and avoided if necessary. If you can, also add your power supply to either your details or to the thread. That would be the next place to look if this is not the issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I've added the rest of the specs in my profile. This is a very strong PC, plenty of power for my needs (Elearning production and Video editing). Nothing to complain other than this little fan tuning business.

The chassis fans (with red LEDs) located at the front of the tower have 3 pins connectors located on the motherboard CHA_3 and CHA_4 plugs.

The back one without LEDs also has a 3 pins connector located on the PCU_OP plug.

Oh and they ALL go full speed after wake: chassis, CPU, Optional CPU in the back...

OK I have solved the issue. Here's what I did:

- Moved the back chassis fan connector from CPU_OPT to CHA_1;

- Changed the CPU fan profile to ''Auto'' and ''silent"

- Changed all other fans profiles to ''silent'' and ''DC''

The noise is a tad higher than it was in my previous manual configuration but the fans obey when the computer wakes up.

The rear 140mm fan is connected to the OPT header? A bit unusual since the OPT speed directly mimics the CPU_FAN speed, however if you have a straight through air tower, I could see the rationale for linking all the fans together. And that is what I am still wondering... what is connected to the CPU_FAN header?

It doesn't matter what it is, but I need to know the make and model to find an alternate set-up for you. I suspect it is going to be a 3 pin fan system. Otherwise the rear fan would run at 100% all the time if linked to a PWM fan on CPU_FAN. It is starting to look like the problem described above is the culprit. If so, that's a good thing. It has some easy fixes compared to motherboard or power supply testing and replacement.

OK I have solved the issue. Here's what I did:

- Moved the back chassis fan connector from CPU_OPT to CHA_1;

- Changed the CPU fan profile to ''Auto'' and ''silent"

- Changed all other fans profiles to ''silent'' and ''DC''

The noise is a tad higher than it was in my previous manual configuration but the fans obey when the computer wakes up.

OK, good. Likely getting the rear fan off the OPT header is responsible for the change. You should be able to use the Standard/Silent/Turbo/Manual profiles without a recurrence.

OK, good. Likely getting the rear fan off the OPT header is responsible for the change. You should be able to use the Standard/Silent/Turbo/Manual profiles without a recurrence.

Thanks. The CPU Cooler fan on top of my Master Cooler is connected to the CPU socket obviously.

So I guess that whenever the CPU is under more stress the speed of the fans will increase to fight the heat?

All of the headers will do this. Within the Advanced BIOS (F7) ---> Monitor drop down menu --------- you can change the variable to either CPU temperature or VRM temperature. You certainly want your CPU cooler to be linked with CPU temperature. I actually prefer VRM temperature for my case fans since this works better on low CPU/High GPU loads as well as high CPU load/low GPU. You can also adjust the fan curve there, although it is easier from the Q-Fan display on the E-Z BIOS page.

It seems like you are not using AI Suite and you don't need to. However, within that program is another difference between the CPU and CHA headers. The CPU header can be set to smaller and lower fan delays (2-12 seconds). The CHA fan headers have a much larger interval at 0-12-25-50 seconds. 0 is a little too reactive for an air cooler. 12 is too long. Air coolers work better on the CPU header. Water coolers can be run from any of them. A 12 second fan delay (spin up/down) is perfect for a water system.

Again thank you for your feedback. In closure I have also replaced the optional CPU Fan in the back - too noisy for my taste. Ordered a Corsair blue LED 120 MM fan from NewEgg in Canada; received it within a couple of days.

Now everything runs fine. Until the next challenge!

Cheers

Archived