Corsair Community

Question about RGB lighting

lc155

Hello,

I currently own a STRAFE, but am honestly thinking about a TKL keyboard as I have never once recalled actually using the numpad except as a curiosity.

As I'd rather stick with corsair, I've been looking at the K65 RGB. Two issues that I remember from the past:

1) Not as bright as the STRAFE, due to the lack of a white back panel. Not a dealbreaker as I can just use transparent keycaps to make it brighter (I notice the MAX ones make the STRAFE darker as the corsair default caps have a white backing which reflects light even more)

2) Only 512 colours possible, and NOT 16.7 million like on the STRAFE. Since this was a controller issue, has this been fixed yet, at all?

Hopefully I'll be able to bag a K65 if the second issue has been fixed, as that was the one that bugged me into getting the STRAFE in the first place.

Hello,

I currently own a STRAFE, but am honestly thinking about a TKL keyboard as I have never once recalled actually using the numpad except as a curiosity.

As I'd rather stick with corsair, I've been looking at the K65 RGB. Two issues that I remember from the past:

1) Not as bright as the STRAFE, due to the lack of a white back panel. Not a dealbreaker as I can just use transparent keycaps to make it brighter (I notice the MAX ones make the STRAFE darker as the corsair default caps have a white backing which reflects light even more)

2) Only 512 colours possible, and NOT 16.7 million like on the STRAFE. Since this was a controller issue, has this been fixed yet, at all?

Hopefully I'll be able to bag a K65 if the second issue has been fixed, as that was the one that bugged me into getting the STRAFE in the first place.

1) Yes, You are right. The K RGB series keyboard are darker than the Strafe RGB due to this white panel. I've read that this panel makes reflected light from the LEDs "merge", so if you have different colors in adjacent keys, the color can somewhat blend. In K series each key is the color is supposed to be.

Personally, I got a Strafe RGB the other day, and I can't notice this blending, neither that I care. The Q key is red, the W is yellow, then the space between Q and W seems orange-ish, but each key is lit correctly.

That white panel also makes rainbow and transition lighting smoother. So, it's worth it IMO.

2) Unfortunately no: K series are 512 colors only. You can enable 16.8M, but will generate flickering. Corsair confirmed that there is no plan for an updated controller. Strafe RGB is the only corsair keyboard that supports true 16.8M.

If this point is essential, then you should either buy a Strafe RGB (no TKL, sorry), or wait for a future K65 new version, if it ever comes.

It seems really weird to me that corsair would have a new controller in the STRAFE series, but then not be bothered to update the rest of their (more premium feeling) keyboards with it as well.

Damn, that sucks so hard. :(

It seems really weird to me that corsair would have a new controller in the STRAFE series, but then not be bothered to update the rest of their (more premium feeling) keyboards with it as well.

Damn, that sucks so hard. :(

Well, it seems weirder to me that corsair doesn't have, neither have plan on having an OS X/Linux driver. There is a big community of non-windows users out there, but they don't seem to care at all. We have a great unofficial driver, made by users, but this is not excuse.

What I mean is that companies don't do logical things, they do things with economical interest in mind. They sure have their reasons, but again, this is no excuse. I totally agree with you.

Corsair confirmed that there is no plan for an updated controller. Strafe RGB is the only corsair keyboard that supports true 16.8M.

Corsair has never confirmed anything like that. Corsair employees do not discuss future product releases. All they confirmed was if you have a K65 RGB and a new version comes out you will not in anyway be able to trade in for the newer version, and that the lack of colors is a hardware issue and there will not be software updates fixing that issue.

Well, it seems weirder to me that corsair doesn't have, neither have plan on having an OS X/Linux driver. There is a big community of non-windows users out there, but they don't seem to care at all. We have a great unofficial driver, made by users, but this is not excuse.

What I mean is that companies don't do logical things, they do things with economical interest in mind. They sure have their reasons, but again, this is no excuse. I totally agree with you.

There are no plans to create a OS X/Linux driver, because Corsair is a gaming focused company. Their main audience is gamer's. Most gamer's user use Windows.

And who knows what they might or not make in the future. That being said their new release might be the keyboard your looking for.

I don't quite get that statement - I recall Corsair saying if the colour issue bothered owners they could return the keyboards because they never listed the problem on product descriptions. If you can return them, why can't you exchange for a newer version?

Corsair has never confirmed anything like that. Corsair employees do not discuss future product releases. All they confirmed was if you have a K65 RGB and a new version comes out you will not in anyway be able to trade in for the newer version, and that the lack of colors is a hardware issue and there will not be software updates fixing that issue.

Wait, what?

This is what is written in the unofficial FAQ (sticky post), a post that you yourself made:

16.8 Million Color Issue Round 2

If you want 16.8 million colors here is the official stance from Corsair

DISCLAIMER: This is the official stance from Corsair as of 12/25/2015. I am not a Corsair employee.

1. There is no way to get 16.8 million colors, with SMOOTH transitions, on the K65, K70, K95 . There is no firmware, or software fix coming.

2. The Strafe RGB is currently the only keyboard that has 16.8 million colors, because of its upgraded LED controller.

3. There is no plans on having the K65, K70, K95 upgraded to the new LED controller.

4. You can refund the K65, K70, K95 for a full refund including all applicable taxes, VAT, and/or shipping.

5. Or you can swap a K65, K70, K95 for a Strafe RGB. Please note you will not be reimbursed for the difference between the two keyboards.

6. Here are the official statements. [Official Thread] [Follow Up Post]

7. Any and all refunds/exchange requests should be sent to Corsair Support. If Corsair Support does not give full refund please feel free to PM, Corsair Henry or create a post in the RMA thread.

8. In the extremely unlikely scenario Corsair James, Corsair Support, and a Corsair Employee in the RMA thread does not reply to you in a 7 days, by all means PM me. I will ask a Corsair employee to respond to you ASAP.

Perhaps I misunderstood (my native language is not English), but isn't what you said in that post the same thing that I said now?

There are no plans to create a OS X/Linux driver, because Corsair is a gaming focused company. Their main audience is gamer's. Most gamer's user use Windows.

And who knows what they might or not make in the future. That being said their new release might be the keyboard your looking for.

I can understand this, but there are lots of games (more and more lately) available in Osx. There is also gamers that use both OS. Even more than that, Razer is also a company focused in gaming, and it's software is available for Osx, so you have a point, but just half a point in this matter, IMO.

It may take a little work, but even if non-windows gaming community is small, there is nothing wrong about an Osx/Linux Official driver. That being said, I only have words of gratitude toward the users involved in thee unofficial driver. Thank you, guys!

Overall, it's a shame. I have my mouse positioned under my keyboard as its the only way I can use it ergonomically - the numpad just makes it too long to have the mouse to the right of it.

If the K65 didn't have those issues it would be a good choice (previously used K70 RED, and I wanted the lights for how powerful they are). Might have to try a CM Storm Quickfire instead even if that lacks RGB lighting if there isn't a proper RGB TKL without issues.

Vastly prefer the sleeker design of the K65 too, the keys sitting flat and not recessed is awesome.

Overall, it's a shame. I have my mouse positioned under my keyboard as its the only way I can use it ergonomically - the numpad just makes it too long to have the mouse to the right of it.

If the K65 didn't have those issues it would be a good choice (previously used K70 RED, and I wanted the lights for how powerful they are). Might have to try a CM Storm Quickfire instead even if that lacks RGB lighting if there isn't a proper RGB TKL without issues.

Vastly prefer the sleeker design of the K65 too, the keys sitting flat and not recessed is awesome.

If you like a similar design to Corsair keyboards (floating keycaps + aluminium plate) in TKL, I would recommend you to have a look at the Ozone Strike Battle. Red led backlight (no RGB, sorry), but it's very affordable.

Archived