Corsair Community

H100i GTX Flashes red at 45c

Dr.Connor

So while I was playing the division (high end graphics) I noticed the CORSAIR LED which is normally white is flashing red in the CL it viewed that it should turn to red at 45c, does that mean I should stop playing when that happens? is it dangerous for my cpu/cooler? thanks in advance.

If you switched the LED mode to temperature and set the colour of the LED to turn red when the grouped device reaches, 45C, then yes, its normal. For it to flash red, it could be the device going over 45 then lowering again.

For your coolant temp to reach 45C, it might be best to turn up the fans.

If you switched the LED mode to temperature and set the colour of the LED to turn red when the grouped device reaches, 45C, then yes, its normal. For it to flash red, it could be the device going over 45 then lowering again.

For your coolant temp to reach 45C, it might be best to turn up the fans.

my question is, is it dangerous for the device to reach 45c? I thought that's a low temperature? when it turns red should I turn the fans up and quit the game? or is it safe to ignore it?

Not dangerous, but disadvantageous. We need to distinguish between the CPU core temperatures and the water temperature (H100i GTX temp). The CPU temperatures are exactly what you think and 45C would be low for them. The H100i GTX Temp is the water temperature inside the cooler. This is the baseline starting temperature for the CPU and also is the control variable for fan speed. 45C is getting a bit warm. When you first power on your system, the water temperature will be the same as your room/case internal temperature, likely somewhere in the 20-27C range. This is the base CPU temperature. When the voltage kicks in, more heat is applied. The water temperature will rise and fall depending on how much CPU heat/voltage is currently being added, less whatever heat your fans are able to remove from the water. So, if your water temperature is 27C and your 100% CPU Vcore adds 40C more, your effective CPU temperature is around 67C. When the water temperature is 45C, that same 100% load will make the CPU temps 85C. Not where most people want to be. You can't do much for the voltage added temperature, other than to decrease frequency/voltage. You can however control the water temperature to some degree, both by managing the room temperature, case temperature, and running the radiators fans faster to help remove (or prevent) temperature rise in the water. Other things like GPU waste heat can also add to the internal case temperature and are part of the system.

As to the flashing light, see whether your LED in linked to CPU temperature or Water Temperature. You should be able to change it and/or increase the threshold if desired.

Not dangerous, but disadvantageous. We need to distinguish between the CPU core temperatures and the water temperature (H100i GTX temp). The CPU temperatures are exactly what you think and 45C would be low for them. The H100i GTX Temp is the water temperature inside the cooler. This is the baseline starting temperature for the CPU and also is the control variable for fan speed. 45C is getting a bit warm. When you first power on your system, the water temperature will be the same as your room/case internal temperature, likely somewhere in the 20-27C range. This is the base CPU temperature. When the voltage kicks in, more heat is applied. The water temperature will rise and fall depending on how much CPU heat/voltage is currently being added, less whatever heat your fans are able to remove from the water. So, if your water temperature is 27C and your 100% CPU Vcore adds 40C more, your effective CPU temperature is around 67C. When the water temperature is 45C, that same 100% load will make the CPU temps 85C. Not where most people want to be. You can't do much for the voltage added temperature, other than to decrease frequency/voltage. You can however control the water temperature to some degree, both by managing the room temperature, case temperature, and running the radiators fans faster to help remove (or prevent) temperature rise in the water. Other things like GPU waste heat can also add to the internal case temperature and are part of the system.

As to the flashing light, see whether your LED in linked to CPU temperature or Water Temperature. You should be able to change it and/or increase the threshold if desired.

It is linked to the cooler's temp or as you say, water temperature.

It is linked to the cooler's temp or as you say, water temperature.

That's probably the way to go.... unless the processor isn't that warm even when the water temp is that high... then you might want to go by processor temp

If you don't mind the processor running a little warm then you can set the temperature threshold higher, or turn the fans up

I just completely disabled the warning light... didn't see a point in it

I monitor temps occasionally, and my processor will shut itself off if it goes above 105°C... although I don't see how the water temp would go that high to cause that... max I've seen my processor at 100% load was 90°C and that was with the water temp at 52

That's probably the way to go.... unless the processor isn't that warm even when the water temp is that high... then you might want to go by processor temp

If you don't mind the processor running a little warm then you can set the temperature threshold higher, or turn the fans up

I just completely disabled the warning light... didn't see a point in it

I monitor temps occasionally, and my processor will shut itself off if it goes above 105°C... although I don't see how the water temp would go that high to cause that... max I've seen my processor at 100% load was 90°C and that was with the water temp at 52

forgot to mention that CL used to read 0 rpm on my cooler fan. after I put CPU_OPT fan speed to maximum from bios it got fixed and since then the temp is not reaching more than 40. the fan is still on default speed on CL so I can put it even faster..

forgot to mention that CL used to read 0 rpm on my cooler fan. after I put CPU_OPT fan speed to maximum from bios it got fixed and since then the temp is not reaching more than 40. the fan is still on default speed on CL so I can put it even faster..

Yeah, I think it's because I keep the fan speed in the bios set to level 2 out of level 4

I tried doing a higher level but then even with lowest fan speed in Corsair Link, the fans will make a high pitched noise

Now that the header issue is resovled, let's see where your water and CPU temperature level out before upping the fan speed. The standard curve has a good amount of fan speed -- more than most people need. You may also need to make adjustments if you have a very warm room or a very warm case from excess GPU heat.

Now that the header issue is resovled, let's see where your water and CPU temperature level out before upping the fan speed. The standard curve has a good amount of fan speed -- more than most people need. You may also need to make adjustments if you have a very warm room or a very warm case from excess GPU heat.

cpu never exceeds 35 and water never exceeds around 42 .. I have a gtx 980ti it reaches 80c at full load. my case has 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust, with the cooler fans, that makes it 4 intake and 1 exhaust, do you suggest I flip the fans for more heat exhaust?

The individual CPU core temps cannot be lower than the water temperature, so perhaps the CPU temp isn't entirely accurate or the figures are reversed. Either way, I think you do want to change the direction of the of your radiator fans so they exhaust, particularly if the radiator is in the top of the case.

The instructions for the cooler often send people the wrong way. With everything else equal, using cooler exterior air will bring slightly cooler CPU temperatures. However, the other consequence is the waste heat is then dumped into the case. In a CPU only system, this isn't a big problem. But in a multipurpose/multimedia/gaming system, the GPU(s) are also a large source of waste heat. The 980 Ti can heat the case all by itself, even without additional CPU waste heat. Most people have lots of headroom on their CPU temps and a lot less on the GPU. In your case, you likely can keep the same CPU temps while reducing some additional internal heat on the board, memory, etc. This will not reduce the VRM temps on the 980 Ti, but it does help everything else.

Archived