Corsair Community

RM750i and dual cpu - which cable?

fishman444

I will preface this by saying that I haven't needed to build a PC from scratch in about 15 years, so I'm a bit out of practice and things seem to have changed a bit. :)

I am putting together a dual Xeon E5-2630-based pc and I have bought an RM750i for it. The motherboard is a Gigabyte MD30-RS0 and has a 24 pin ATX connector and two 8 pin (EPS?) connectors. Unfortunately the RM750i only includes one 8 pin cable. This seems to mean that the motherboard will only boot with one CPU installed.

I obtained what appears to be a Silverstone cable with a 8 pin plug on one end and two 4 pin plugs on the other, that will fit together into an 8 pin connector, but this does not work. In desperation I pulled a cable out of another vendor-built pc that uses an RM1000. This cable seems to have two 8 pin connectors on each end so I used half of that, and that did work. However that pc needs to stay running and I have no idea where the vendor got the cable. Could I use:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/type-3-sleeved-black-eps-12v-cpu-cable

and if not, what could I use instead?

Sorry for the long post. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I expect the one you linked to is the correct one to use especially so as the RM1000 cable worked.

Which Xeon E5-2630s do you have? I guess it's a bit too soon for them to be V4 (Broadwell-E).

Thanks for that. Having dug around the forums a bit more it looks like the cables from different brands are not compatible, which I didn't realise.

The Xeons are v3's. I took delivery of them about 4 days before the v4's were announced, which was rather annoying. However I may now keep these ones for a dev/backup server and save up for some v4's with more cores for the production server.

I just used this

http://www.microcenter.com/product/318698/EPS-12V_8-pin_Y-Splitter_Power_Cable_-_6

to extend the 8pin (2x4pin) cpu cable from an EVGA 700B to my 8pin cpu atx socket on my GA-Z97X-UD3H (one side of the Y is left hanging). I see no reason why this wouldn't work in your situation. EDIT: I think any EPS Y would work.

EDIT: I added the Y so I wouldn't have to remove the H80i cooler radiator every time I swap PSUs to get at the 8pin header.

I just used this

http://www.microcenter.com/product/318698/EPS-12V_8-pin_Y-Splitter_Power_Cable_-_6

to extend the 8pin (2x4pin) cpu cable from an EVGA 700B to my 8pin cpu atx socket on my GA-Z97X-UD3H (one side of the Y is left hanging). I see no reason why this wouldn't work in your situation. EDIT: I think any EPS Y would work.

EDIT: I added the Y so I wouldn't have to remove the H80i cooler radiator every time I swap PSUs to get at the 8pin header.

Good idea. The company you linked to doesn't seem to ship outside the US but I think I've found something similar on ebay. I presume there wouldn't be issues with the increased power draw thru the existing cable? Thanks for your help

Good idea. The company you linked to doesn't seem to ship outside the US but I think I've found something similar on ebay. I presume there wouldn't be issues with the increased power draw thru the existing cable? Thanks for your help

After it's been running for 15 min wrap your hand around the cable to see if it's warm, but I shouldn't think so...

Archived