Corsair Community

H100i v2 / idle perfect, oc huge problem

Fina

hey everyone! hey community,

i do have some trouble with my new corsair aio cooling system - h100i v.2

first of all, when i start "core temp" on cpu-idle i am super impressed because when i got about 30 C° with normal air cooling - now i get 19C°-24C°.

myproblem is, when i start overclocking my system (wich is made for overclocking), i get with my cpu temperatur around 90C° wich brings my computer to shutdown.

what i also see is i dont get a "permanent" cooling, when i play, its more like

"for example" jumping from 50C° instantly back to 30C° then 60C° instantly back to 40C°.. its super jumpy.. only on idle mode its most likely the same.

CPU-Fan SPEED = around 1450 RPM

PUMP RPM = 2850

i rly do love this AIO way to cool my cpu, but seriously overclocking from 4,00 to 4,6 should not bring me that high temperatur / problems :/

i ve seen couple of videos/forum posts..

thank you all for your help! :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4x 4.00GHz

GPU: 2x 4096MB MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G Aktiv (SLI)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

RAM: 16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill RipJaws V rot DDR4-2666

Power: 660 Watt Seasonic Platinum-660

Benchmark: 3DMark Adv. Firestrike 19135

i would say its mounted correctly. it fits perfect into the system, screws are on the limit, cooling paste used.. and i am sure if it would not be mounted correctly, i shouldnt be able to run games like dying light (everything ultra) like 4-6h with 170 fps.. but yea. thats and idea and i wanna thank you for that!

The jumpy temperatures are the classic indicator of imperfect contact between the CPU lid and the pump contact plate. Even the smallest gaps create pockets of air that heat quickly and cause the temperature spikes. You have to be very precise when putting it together and it can be a very frustrating experience.

The other possibility is if you used too much TIM. It has the same effect, creating little bubbles that super heat and the resulting jumpy temperatures. If you used the pre-applied paste on the cooler, this is not likely to be the problem. If you are using your own (and you will need to once you remove the block again), make sure you use a small dot in the middle and let the the clamping force spread it out for you. Ideally, you want the thinnest, smooth layer possible. This is not a situation where more is better.

Archived