Corsair Community

K70 LEDs on model CH-9000117

Haista

Hi,

I'm looking into buying Corsair K70 (CH-9000117-ND) mechanical keyboard:

http://www.corsair.com/en/corsair-gaming-k70-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-blue-led-cherry-mx-red-ch-9000117-nd

I did a little research before ordering one - with price tag of 150 € (Northern Europe) it is quite an expensive keyboard to buy blindly - and among the first things found a thread here at Corsair forums, where a lot of people report failing blue LEDs:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=121181

But model CH-9000117 seems to be a newer version of K70. Amazon product information says it is "Size:Standard 2016", and specifies under Q&A:

Question:

Whats the difference between the Standard and the Standard 2016?

Answer:

The standard K70 that only came in silver stopped production because of the high failure rate of its blue LEDs used for backlighting. The 2015-16 model comes in black only and has higher quality blue LEDs that shouldn't fail as much. Also, the logo has been updated to "Corsair Gaming". Everything else is the same as the standard edition.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Mechanical-Keyboard-Aircraft-Grade-CH-9000117-NA/dp/B014W1ZAFM

So, the obvious concerns aside, can someone at Corsair confirm that the failing LED problem is addressed with the CH-9000117 model, or is there someone who's still experiencing dying LEDs with this specific K70's model?

Thank you!

I guess no Corsair representative here knows the answer :sigh!:

K70 has a good, minimalistic design with all the needed extras, which got me hooked, but I would rather avoid the possible time consuming RMA processes.

Won't give up for the answer yet...

The K70 with blue LEDs has been discontinued as far as I know. Your best option is to check with their sales/support departments directly by sending in a ticket or calling. While Corsair reps do reply here on the forum you're not guaranteed to receive a reply in a short time.

• Administrators

The original blue LED keyboards were discontinued so we could make red LED keyboards. More people want red LEDs than blue LEDs.

That Q&A response is from an end user, not Amazon.

This is a user forum. We don't read every post nor do we respond to every post. If you'd like to direct a question to us, please create a support ticket.

The K70 with blue LEDs has been discontinued as far as I know. Your best option is to check with their sales/support departments directly by sending in a ticket or calling. While Corsair reps do reply here on the forum you're not guaranteed to receive a reply in a short time.

In the aformentioned thread, where this issue was reported, they say only the K70 with silver finish/blue LEDs was problematic and got discontinued.

K70 with black finish/blue LEDs came later. Many places are currently selling them, including Corsair's website, where there's even two of those models available:

http://www.corsair.com/en/corsair-gaming-k70-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-blue-led-cherry-mx-red-ch-9000117-nd

http://www.corsair.com/en/corsair-gaming-k70-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-blue-led-cherry-mx-red-nd (CH-9000085)

Both of those models share the same Nordic layout. CH-9000117 has the new sails logo (unlike the cancelled silver K70), and CH-9000085 has this "Corsair Gaming" sticker on it.

The original blue LED keyboards were discontinued so we could make red LED keyboards. More people want red LEDs than blue LEDs.

That Q&A response is from an end user, not Amazon.

This is a user forum. We don't read every post nor do we respond to every post. If you'd like to direct a question to us, please create a support ticket.

Thanks for the directions! I was under false impression that the ticket service is only for customers troubleshooting already purchased products.

I'll report back if they give some definitive answer.

I have a CH-9000116-UK keyboard. K70 with red LEDs. I've had it barely 24 hours and already one of the LEDs has failed. It's going back to Amazon tomorrow for replacement. If the replacement fails, I'll be looking at alternatives.

I have a CH-9000116-UK keyboard. K70 with red LEDs. I've had it barely 24 hours and already one of the LEDs has failed. It's going back to Amazon tomorrow for replacement. If the replacement fails, I'll be looking at alternatives.

Sad to hear. At least this latest series of non-RGBs (CH-9000114/115/116/117) doesn't have the backlash like it was with the discontinued silver finish/blue LED/older sails logo models.

Here's the tech support reply (made me confident enough to make the purchase):

Our LEDs on the keyboards we test go through rigorous testing including ESD.

We attain certification through this testing and wouldn't otherwise pass if there are excessive LED issues being detected.

Keep in mind we guarantee functionality up to two years for keyboards so be sure to retain a copy of your receipt for warranty reference.

I really wish there was a version of this same keyboard without the integrated LEDs. Won't be using them anyway, but even with the backlight turned off I would not like the idea if some LEDs have failed. It's the classy design with black aluminum finish, n-key rollover, volume scroll and variety of Cherry MX options that attracts me to K70.

Here's hoping that the LED issue has been reduced to the smallest possible degree, and that one day there will be a model of K70 without the damned backlight.

Archived