Corsair Community

H105 Buzz sound

tgod

I recently built a new PC and installed a H105 liquid cooler, the pump has been making a "buzzing" type sound. It's set to full speed through the Gigabyte BIOS (~1820+ rpm) and have tried the CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and SYST_FAN headers. All are having the same result.

I then tried the pump with another computer and the buzzing is still there but barely audible. I fixed it back to the new PC build and the sound is the same as before..

Is there something I am missing here? The motherboard I've got is the Gigabyte z170X Gaming 5

I am assuming we are talking about a considerable buzz that can be heard outside the case and not with your ear up against it. The buzzing comes from the pump motor itself. Part of that sound is a vibration resonating through the board and case. The perception of the buzz is different in the other PC because the materials (board/case) are not exactly the same.

If you cut the voltage slightly, you can probably make the buzz go away --- at least temporarily. However, this becomes less effective in time and under-volting the pump motor only wears it out faster. Having dealt with this on an H110, my advice would be to RMA the unit. Once it starts, it will not get better. It may come and go a bit, but you'll never be able to get rid of it. The H105 is a good cooler and there isn't a like replacement. I would RMA it while you can to make sure you can get another. I waited too long and only made myself miserable trying to dampen the issue. My replacement is perfect and I can't tell you how much more I enjoy the system since removing the buzz.

Thanks c-attack, going to try a Molex 4-pin to 3-pin adapter for the pump just to make sure I've tried every option I know of. If this doesn't work I guess I'll just have to RMA it.

No, it's good to be thorough. I also tried all my headers, molex from the PSU, alternate PSU and then moved on attacking the issue by trying to reduce the vibrations through mass dampening. Don't go quite that far. It's not supposed to sing this tune.

Archived