Corsair Community

Building new Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rev3

charlestek

I bought components and the motherboard 5 years ago and they have been sitting unopened in a box in my bedroom. It is time to put the system together.:eek:

The motherboard is advertised to be able to overclock some kinds of memory to 2200 I believe. I have an i7-2600k processor. Back then I bought some memory, then bought another deal from Newegg as it was irresistible. So I have two sets of memory:

1) 4x4GB CML 16GX3M4A 1600C9B with normal speed of 1600

2) 2x4GB CMZ 8GX3M2A 1866C9B with a normal speed of 1866 for which I can stil buy another box of the same so I can get a total of 16GB of memory

Can anyone tell me if either of these will work with the 2600k well for at least some mind memory overclocking, if not more, I have no idea how stable the can be with that motherboard.

On the surface, it would seem that 2) would give me a higher initial clock speed to overclock, but I have no clue about stability with the Maximus IV Extreme Rev 3 and the i7-2600k.

As this motherboard is far out the mainstream in 2016, it may be hard to find someone who can give me information.:mad:

Most 2600K max out at DDR3-2133 and with some processors that requires a bit of manual tuning already. That being said DDR3-1866 is pretty safe, especially on a ASUS ROG Maximus mainboard.

If you ultimately want 16GB, the official recommendation is to only buy a single kit of 2x8GB or 4x4GB, because mixing kits - even of the same type/model - is not guaranteed to work.

"If you ultimately want 16GB, the official recommendation is to only buy a single kit of 2x8GB or 4x4GB, because mixing kits - even of the same type/model - is not guaranteed to work"

What factors/parameters are in play with 4 stick matched memory. I thought that each two stick pair was driven symmetrically, so I wonder what parameters screw up two pairs of two.

• Corsair Employees
"If you ultimately want 16GB, the official recommendation is to only buy a single kit of 2x8GB or 4x4GB, because mixing kits - even of the same type/model - is not guaranteed to work"

What factors/parameters are in play with 4 stick matched memory. I thought that each two stick pair was driven symmetrically, so I wonder what parameters screw up two pairs of two.

2 kits are not tested together, thus we can't guarantee compatibility nor the specified speeds to be achievable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Because I want to use the full 32 GB on the motherboard, I just ordered the

Corsair CMY32GX3M4A2400C11R Vengeance Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200).

I hope this works with my processor, I will try to get it to run at 2100

If you ultimately want 16GB, the official recommendation is to only buy a single kit of 2x8GB or 4x4GB, because mixing kits - even of the same type/model - is not guaranteed to work.

Most 2600K max out at DDR3-2133 and with some processors that requires a bit of manual tuning already

Well you are saying the 2600k processor might not even make it that far.

In any case, I'm not even sure the increase in memory speed from 1600 to 2200 will cause a large percentage of performance difference. I don't really intend to overclock the processor, or if I do, very mildly.

I don't play games (Computer, any computer games), so I could care less about gaming performance.

Archived