Corsair Community

H80i v2 Radiator Fan Noise

Psilocybin125

First PC I've ever built so I'm wondering if some of the noises I'm hearing are normal. I've installed the most recent version of Corsair Link and I was watching the idle temps of my processor which were hovering around 30C (yay California). Occasionally my processor "package" (is this the overall temperature?) temp will jump 10C and the radiator fans will immediately increase in speed but the temp will drop back down and the fans will slow again.

This creates a kind of annoying "throttle hopping" noise where the fan is adjusting speed often (sometimes turning off completely). Is this normal or is there something I need to change in the BIOS/Corsair Link in order to have a more "steady" change in fan speed?

In LINK, which variable did you assign the fans to in the groups tab? CPU temperature or water temperature (H80i Temp)?

My first thought was you might have assigned the radiator fans to CPU temperature, which can create this kind of fan throttling. However, the turning off completely thing should not happen with either. This sounds a little more like a software conflict.

Are you running AI Suite? These kinds of things can happen when running multiple monitoring programs. AI Suite has long tentacles and it gets involved in quite a few things. You might be able to deal with this by only keeping one program active at a time. When you boot up, AI Suite is running as a background process, although it's mini-icon is visible in the task bar drop down. Usually, if you don't make it an active window, you can get away with using other monitoring programs. I do the same for AIDA64. As soon as I make AI Suite active by bringing up the window, wild readings are imminent. They will continue until I fully exit AI Suite.

However, at this point you likely are using AI Suite quite a bit as you get used to your system, set case fan speeds, etc. You can do the same thing with Corsair LINK. Load up LINK, set your perferred fan program. Save it as a profile. Then set it not to run on start-up. It will retain its last set of commands and follow that profile. If you are running the fans from water temperature, this may make it harder to learn your normal range, but again you can also exit AI Suite when you are not making changes and put LINK back up.

I am not using AI Suite at all. Everything in the BIOS is set at default right now. I just noticed that the H80i Fan is saying 0 rpm but it is clearly running. And the temperature is higher than the CPU.

Wouldn't that be heating up my CPU rather than cooling it?

Capture.thumb.PNG.61c5585a592ba8fe391acffa84ea9df2.PNG

Are there any other monitoring programs (HWinfo, HW64, AIDA, SpeedFan, etc) running? This still sounds like a software problem of some sort. Obviously the fan speed reading has an issue and no, the water cannot heat the CPU. The higher than core temperature water reading also indicates there something is causing strange reporting. You might see some momentary crossover seconds after waking from sleep, but the water temperature will always be lower than the core temperatures, even when the cooler is malfunctioning. Multiple sensor failure seems pretty unlikely, so it may be a more basic connectivity problem.

Open the Device Manager and see if the H80i GT is recognized. Yes, you can trying moving the USB connection to another port.

Where did you plug in the 3 pin lead from the GT? To CPU_FAN or the Water_PUMP header?

1) No other monitoring programs at all

2) It is an H80i v2 (not GT, if that makes any difference). I'll check the Device Manager when I get home from work and try moving the USB connections to another port.

3) The 3 pin lead from the pump is plugged into the CPU_FAN header (I didn't see a pump header on my motherboard)

Question: Is there a reason the FAN is reading 0 rpm and the PUMP has an rmp reading? I didn't think that pump had RPMs...?

No, the v2 and GT should be identical for our discussion purposes. Some Asus Z170's have the 'water pump header', but it isn't necessary. CPU_FAN is the right one. Make sure the BIOS Q-fan control setting for the CPU_FAN is "Full Speed". That should disable any unintentional control signals from the board.

Pumps do have RPM reporting, although not all models will let you see that in your BIOS or other monitoring program besides LINK. Speeds and control are different for each model, but I'll borrow the Red-Ray's graph from another thread to show the range for the H80i GT/v2.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22690&d=1440595838

Red-Ray may also be able to help with this issue. He has a substantially deeper knowledge of the software side of this than me and also has some tools to help if this is the problem.

Archived