Corsair Community

Malfuctioning keys Random lighting

Aijames

Booted up PC this evening to my color profile being different than i had it before. I didnt care was like "wow ok whatever", so i try to type something and no keys work.

I try unplugging and plugging back in

-Random lighting

-sometimes no lighting at all

- no keys respond in windows or to get to bios even.

I figure lets try it on another PC, so i take it in and as soon as i plug it into a usb i get random rgb lighting effects , This second PC does not have Corsair Utility Engine whatsoever on it. i let it boot and boom no keys and all the RGB turns off. I walk into the other room come back and RGB are on doing a rainbow pattern now but still no keys working.

Purchased it about a month ago from the Corsair site refurbished im just really irritated that im now typing on a POS competitors keyboard from 10 years ago that i replaced with the k95.

so Roundup,

Windows sees an HID compliant keyboard but it doesnt work when i press any keys.

Corsair Utility Engine does not detect a device at all.

Keyboard doesnt work on a second machine the same way as first one.

Original machine is

Asus Maximus Hero 8

G.Skilll trident z ram 32gb

MSI r390 video card

i76700k processor

Windows 10 64bit

corsair rm750i psu

the only other peripheral on the machine is a Logitech g502 spectrum mouse

I'd love for there to be a fix i can do without sending it back as i loved it before it stopped working.

Created By: Nick TS (4/4/2016 9:15 AM)

1 - Please completely exit out of the Corsair Utility Engine Software

2 - Disconnect the keyboard entirely from your system

3 - (1)Using a paperclip, thumb tack, or thin needle, please hold down on the reset button located next to the polling rate switch

4 - As it is pressed down, please connect the keyboard to a USB 3.0 port on your system (please ensure the connector labeled with the keyboard icon is connected only)

5 - A file explorer pop-up will be displayed showing drive name as CRP_DISABLED

6 - Please ensure you first delete the firmware.bin file that is on the CRP_DISABLED drive. Transfer the Keyboard_Clr_EEP_V002.bin that is attached to this ticket over to the CRP_DISABLED drive.

7 - Once transferred over, disconnect the keyboard and repeat the pinhole method (1) to input the actual firmware and bootloader file for your keyboard (K95RGB_bld012_app133.bin).

Files attached.

i cannot get this to work for the life of me

I have had my new K95 for only a couple of hours - for about half of that time I have had exactly the same problem as you. I moved the BIOS switch at the back over one position. Then dead keyboard (same as yours).

Played with the keys for ages, unplugged, etc. Finally unplugged and rebooted the computer. Then plugged back in a few times. Tried different combinations of USB3, USB2, both plugs, one plug, etc. Finally it seemed to come good. When I restarted the computer, it sat at the login screen for some time before it would accept keyboard input - but finally it did.

The reset switch never did anything at all. Be nice to work out how that is supposed to actually work.

Now everything is working again - even all my custom profiles are still there and working.

No idea, but I can tell you it has given me a very poor opinion of the keyboard. Hopefully it will settle down.

My other problem is that the CAPS LCK led does not always work. It is fine at the moment, but sometimes those 3 little white LEDS do nothing.

I have the latest firmware.

The instructions provided by technical support is a process known as a hard reset, where you "reflash the firmware"/recover the device without using CUE.

If CUE does not detect your keyboard, make sure it is not in BIOS mode (Indicated by a flashing scroll lock indicator)

If its not in BIOS mode, upload your latest log generated by CUE as that may provide something useful to determine whats preventing it from showing up.

Logs can be accessed by clicking Settings>Support>View logs

The instructions provided by technical support is a process known as a hard reset, where you "reflash the firmware"/recover the device without using CUE.

If CUE does not detect your keyboard, make sure it is not in BIOS mode (Indicated by a flashing scroll lock indicator)

If its not in BIOS mode, upload your latest log generated by CUE as that may provide something useful to determine whats preventing it from showing up.

Logs can be accessed by clicking Settings>Support>View logs

i'll upload the log when i get home, i couldn't tell you if its in the bios mode as I've got nothing at all now. Hopefully my logs are still there as with all my troubleshooting I've reinstalled and repaired CUE a few times in hopes that the software was the issue.

So frustrated as I've put less than 10 hours time on the keyboard and I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

So frustrated as I've put less than 10 hours time on the keyboard and I'm kinda stuck at the moment.

I feel your pain. I had less than 2 hours on my keyboard before I was in the same situation. I think very poor documentation is part of the problem.

For example, what is "BIOS mode" and how do you get into it? How do you use the BIOS switch on the back of the keyboard. Moving that was what caused my problem - and I still do not know how to use it.

If someone could explain how this BIOS switch works (and where it should be) then I for one would appreciate it.

When I turned my computer on this morning (Day 2), I was waiting for the keyboard to not work - but so far it is working just fine.

Mind you, the CAP LCK key drives me insane - 90% of my typing errors is hitting the damn thing all the time. Very poor design there...hopefully will get used to it soon.

Hi Aijames,

BIOS mode is a setting for keyboard detection in POST to easily access BIOS (hence the name). It's really called the polling rate switch but you can read more about that here

I describe it as a switch with 5 different positions: 1, 2, 4, 8, BIOS.

From your perspective while using the keyboard, it is the far left position. There's no need to use this setting other than accessing/navigating the BIOS.

For the firmware flash part, yes it can be a little confusing so I'll rephrase;

1 - Use object to push and hold the tiny button above keyboard while unplugged (both)

2 - Still holding tiny button, insert keyboard USB plug with keyboard icon on it

3 - Release tiny button, look in Windows explorer for the CRP_Disabled drive

4 - Open CRP_Disabled and delete the firmware.bin file

5 - Copy over this file first "Keyboard_Clr_EEP_V002.bin" minus quotes

6 - Replug keyboard normally and check status

7 - Now repeat this from step 1 again and when you get to step 5 copy over "K95RGB_bld012_app133.bin" minus quotes.

Hope this helps.

did this process probably 40 times the other night and no go. did it this morning one more time before work and it worked perfectly.

I already have a accepted RA ticket, i just needed to try one more time. i'll close my ticket now since this baby is working perfectly now.

Thanks again for the clarification Jay

• 1 year later...
Hi Aijames,

BIOS mode is a setting for keyboard detection in POST to easily access BIOS (hence the name). It's really called the polling rate switch but you can read more about that here

From your perspective while using the keyboard, it is the far left position. There's no need to use this setting other than accessing/navigating the BIOS.

1 - Use object to push and hold the tiny button above keyboard while unplugged (both)

2 - Still holding tiny button, insert keyboard USB plug with keyboard icon on it

7 - Now repeat this from step 1 again and when you get to step 5 copy over "K95RGB_bld012_app133.bin" minus quotes.

Hope this helps.

LOL, i actually snapped my tiny button doing this with a paper clip pushing too hard. Now my keyboard is FUBAR. Oh well. In the bin it goes

Hi Aijames,

Hope this helps.

hi, can you guys send attachment of "Keyboard_Clr_EEP_V002.bin" and "K95RGB_bld012_app133.bin" please?