Corsair Community

Corsair h100i weird coil whine type sound from fans

OwenO

Hi there,

Sorry to be a pain here, I have also been searching Google and on here for key words relating to my issue and some have vaguely similar issues but nothing identical that I can see.

To give a bit of background, I recently changed my case setup last few days and moved my setup into there, I also changed psu to a corsair rm750i.

Now maybe it's because my tower unit always sat on the floor but I have moved it up by the table (changed to a corsair carbide air 540 and it belongs on a table).

Now to the issue.. I have a corsair h100i cooler and maybe it's always been there but I now notice more than ever it is giving a coil whine type noise, this is especially noticeable while using the quiet option it's almost like a small high pitched tinnitus type of sound.

I initially thought maybe it's the new psu or gfx or any number of things as I didn't even think of the cooler, so I went through piece by piece using process of elimination to find the culprit and finally I realised.. I was switching out the fans for a couple of sp120 led ones on the h100i today which aided the solution.

So when I unplugged both fans I immediately noticed the whine noise went away.. So its not the pump, it's not the gpu and it's not the psu.. I tried to instead plug the fans directly into the motherboard but then they are always running at full speed which I'll admit, I'm not sure if the whine is there because the Db lvl is drowned out by the noise of the fans..

What can I do here, is that normal for the unit? Would a rma resolve this as the unit itself is about a year old and I've had issues getting a rma for coil whine in the past..

I have stock fans and I sat with case open earlier switching between the sp120 and seems to be that whine there..

It's so hard when you notice something like that to get rid of the agitation it starts to give lol what is my options here if any? Please help

*** Edit ***

[ame]

[/ame] from about 45-50 sec in, this is a video I found online that replicates the sound I am getting (just the sound part, the video does not belong to me)

I have since switched the sp120 fans back in, and put them on to the motherboard pins and I've removed the h100i Y-Splitter completely as this seems to be one of the major issues (could it be the Y connector on its own causing this??). They only run at the full 1550-1600rpm and despite altering this in mobo setup and using speedfan I can't get this to go down (weird since I could alter it in corsair link when they were plugged in to the pump) so it's hard to tell if the noise is present although it doesn't feel like it

I just got a set of 2 brand new sp120 fans 2 days ago as I thought the fans was the issue but it would appear not.

I have plugged the fans in to the motherboard cpu pins instead and from what I can tell the whining noise is vastly reduced if not gone completely (or if it is there, it is being drowned out by full rpm fans), the problem is definitely when I use the Y-connector. The issue is, If I use the motherboard pins I cant turn down the RPM on the fans which is odd.. I have tried using bios and a program called speedfan.

The fans running at full rpm are loud (and ultimately defeat the whole purpose of going liquid cooled for me), but anything is better than the coil whine/tinnitus type noise as shown above.

I read others say try different sata connectors and I have tried several already, unsure if voltage issue and not sure how I would check that, the new psu I just got delivered a few days ago too (fully modular rm750i) and currently it is all running at stock speeds

would a bad y-connector cause these sounds? the connector itself looks fine but I'm certainly no electrician

There are both 3 pin DC and 4 pin PWM versions of the retail SP120 (colored rings). Which one did you get?

Some motherboards require you to select either PWM or DC mode in the BIOS. Choosing the wrong mode might cause the fan to run full speed. I am not as familiar with the Z97 MSI BIOS, so I do not know for sure whether you board uses that type of control. Also, some motherboards do not have PWM control on all of the board headers. Usually, the CPU fan (and its counterpart) are dual DC/PWM. Other headers could be dual as well, or just DC. This is different on every board, although most recent boards do support both fan types on all the headers. When you put the fans on the board, which header did you use?

That video should help you turn the fan speeds down on your motherboard fan header slots

I have tried the command centre with no joy, I used the cpu1 and cpu2 slot on the motherboard for plugging both fans as the other case fans all occupies the system slots

using that did allow me to change the rpm of the system/case fans

it does have an option for cpu but like below, I have set all threshold to 20% for the purpose of the picture and the RPM won't budge

http://owenodonnell.uk/commandcentre.png

There are both 3 pin DC and 4 pin PWM versions of the retail SP120 (colored rings). Which one did you get?

Some motherboards require you to select either PWM or DC mode in the BIOS. Choosing the wrong mode might cause the fan to run full speed. I am not as familiar with the Z97 MSI BIOS, so I do not know for sure whether you board uses that type of control. Also, some motherboards do not have PWM control on all of the board headers. Usually, the CPU fan (and its counterpart) are dual DC/PWM. Other headers could be dual as well, or just DC. This is different on every board, although most recent boards do support both fan types on all the headers. When you put the fans on the board, which header did you use?

I got the 3pin ones, the mobo slots now you mention are both 4 pin. I never really gave this a great deal of attention before, and as I had controlled the rpm via corsair link I took it for granted it would work the same way??

I plugged them in to CPU 1 and CPU 2 slots, as mentioned above all the other ones are taken up by the case fans of the carbide air 540

Bios Option Picture

tried setting it to lowest setting in bios and like above, stuck at full rpm. Does no one else have any issues with the Y connector? would ordering a new y connector potentially fix the issue do you think

(question, in the box.. was there one or two of these? I have moved house since doing all this and fear i have binned the box)

I am worried you have moved into Catch-22 type of situation. Your new SP120's are 3 pin DC (Quiet Edition model?). In order to work with Corsair LINK and power the fans through the pump block, the fans have to be 4 pin PWM.

Many motherboards can do either 3 pin DC or 4-pin PWM on the CPU headers. This thread suggests MSI command center cannot and it only can control PWM fans on the CPU header(s). The SYS_FAN (case fan) headers are 3 pin DC only. The thread is in referring to a Z87 board, but I am afraid it applies to your board as well. The PWM signal is 12V all the time, hence the constant full speed. You might try posting on MSI's site to confirm or perhaps someone else here has more experience with MSI Z97 and can do the same.

So, right now you are stuck. Are all your other case fans 3 pin DC? If you had another PWM set you could switch things around. A temporary fix would be to put the gray SP120L's that came with the cooler back on the radiator, but run them from CPU 1&2. Those fans are PWM.

I suppose it's possible the Y-connector is to blame (there is only 1 in the box), but I doubt it. That generation of H80i/H100i has a fan controller than is vulnerable to problems. It would be my prime suspect until the evidence says otherwise. However, the H100i shouldn't make that noise and you typically associate coil whine with power supplies. That is something that has been recently changed as well.

If possible, try and exchange the new SP120's for the either the Performance or Quiet Edition PWM version. That would give you the option to run from the CPU or the H100i.

I am worried you have moved into Catch-22 type of situation. Your new SP120's are 3 pin DC (Quiet Edition model?). In order to work with Corsair LINK and power the fans through the pump block, the fans have to be 4 pin PWM.

Many motherboards can do either 3 pin DC or 4-pin PWM on the CPU headers. This thread suggests MSI command center cannot and it only can control PWM fans on the CPU header(s). The SYS_FAN (case fan) headers are 3 pin DC only. The thread is in referring to a Z87 board, but I am afraid it applies to your board as well. The PWM signal is 12V all the time, hence the constant full speed. You might try posting on MSI's site to confirm or perhaps someone else here has more experience with MSI Z97 and can do the same.

So, right now you are stuck. Are all your other case fans 3 pin DC? If you had another PWM set you could switch things around. A temporary fix would be to put the gray SP120L's that came with the cooler back on the radiator, but run them from CPU 1&2. Those fans are PWM.

I suppose it's possible the Y-connector is to blame (there is only 1 in the box), but I doubt it. That generation of H80i/H100i has a fan controller than is vulnerable to problems. It would be my prime suspect until the evidence says otherwise. However, the H100i shouldn't make that noise and you typically associate coil whine with power supplies. That is something that has been recently changed as well.

If possible, try and exchange the new SP120's for the either the Performance or Quiet Edition PWM version. That would give you the option to run from the CPU or the H100i.

Thanks for all your help in this matter truly do appreciate it. I have contacted amazon who issued an immediate refund for the fans and expect them back within 31 days and going to order PWM ones instead. Learn something new every day so like I say I do appreciate you taking the time out to help.

As it stands currently it seems the connector/fan part does seem to cause an array of issues, with getting new case and psu the plan was always to upgrade the cooling unit and with this going on, I could persevere but felt I should push it forward a couple of months and just get it now while having a few quid spare.

Ordered new fans as to keep them spare with the unit should I ever need it though for another project or for kid / family

Also ordered new liquid cooling unit for my own pc with larger radiator this time and that's due for delivery tomorrow so looking forward to that :)

Archived