Corsair Community

H115i Backplate issue. VERY loose on MSI Z170 Gaming Titanium

TechnoJoe

You obviously are ignoring the image proof that Contiusa provided earlier in the thread. In some cases even if you have fully tightened down the pump block with the nuts and starting with a very loose backplate, the TIM material is not fully spread out on the CPU spreader leading to higher than normal temperatures. The problem lies with the fact that the nuts bottom out on the stud threads before they have a chance to fully deflect the pump mount bracket which provides the desired contact force of the pump block against the CPU spreader. In my case with my FX-8300 processor and MSI 970 Gaming motherboard, I could not achieve correct contact pressure without using the fiber washers to take up the backplate slack. In fact, as I have researched a bit of the problem history here in the forum, several years ago in the beginning of the Corsair H-XXX AIO production, Corsair used to provide washers to mount between the backplate and motherboards.

Well I don't deal with AMD. So I can't say if it's loose on AMD boards. And I don't see any reason what so ever to use a liquid cooler on AMD chip. You should only use liquid cooler on Intel I7 K chip, as they are made for overclocking. You don't really get anything from overclocking AMD chip.

And yes all 30 computers are Intel chip. I only build Intel computers.

That's just normal. you shouldn't do anything!!! When you tighten the screws on the pump, it will sit tight, as it should. Using washers will only do damage to your cooling. And if you read the manual you will see that no washers are mentioned when you install the backplate.

I've installed over 30 corsair liquid coolers and ALL works just fine. All backplates were loose until I tighten down the pump with the screws. Don't believe in everything you read on Internet. Many "experts" knowing nothing. They just want to be smart and noticed. Always follow the manual or watch the video on Corsair on how to install liquid cooler.

That's absolutely not true. My block barely makes contact with the CPU (you can see the photos) and I have seen lots of people with the same problem. I have an i7-3770K and a Z77X-D3H. The backplate is straight as an arrow and the brace for the block is also straight. The standoffs screw perfectly fine as well. I am testing six coolers / water coolers, I am not a newbie and I have installed and reinstalled these coolers several times over the last two weeks.

Corsair seems oblivious to the problem, and statements like yours just make things even harder to fix, because they are not in accordance with reality.

That's absolutely not true. My block barely makes contact with the CPU (you can see the photos) and I have seen lots of people with the same problem. I have an i7-3770K and a Z77X-D3H. The backplate is straight as an arrow and the brace for the block is also straight. The standoffs screw perfectly fine as well. I am testing six coolers / water coolers, I am not a newbie and I have installed and reinstalled these coolers several times over the last two weeks.

Corsair seems oblivious to the problem, and statements like yours just make things even harder to fix, because they are not in accordance with reality.

Your argument is nonsense. If your argument was true, There would be more than thousand customers complaining about the problem. I have installed corsair liquid coolers on 30 intel boards and NONE of them have the issue you are talking about. 4 of them on the Haswell chip (3770 K). Are you sure you are using the correct screws to mount the backplate. You have to use the screws for intel 115x, and not the socket 2011 screws. The difference is that on the 2011 screws one end is shorter. On the 115x screws both ends are equal. My guess is you used the 2011 screws and by that your backplate is loose even when you tighten down the pump.

Your argument is nonsense. If your argument was true, There would be more than thousand customers complaining about the problem. I have installed corsair liquid coolers on 30 intel boards and NONE of them have the issue you are talking about. 4 of them on the Haswell chip (3770 K). Are you sure you are using the correct screws to mount the backplate. You have to use the screws for intel 115x, and not the socket 2011 screws. The difference is that on the 2011 screws one end is shorter. On the 115x screws both ends are equal. My guess is you used the 2011 screws and by that your backplate is loose even when you tighten down the pump.

LOL... Perhaps you should research before talking. An experienced builder -- like you assure you are -- would never make such assumptions, so I'll leave at that.

Regarding the screws and such, don't be ludicrous. I am testing several coolers for several days. I am kind of busy right now so you make your own assumptions. You seem to be good at that, this I can say.

LOL... Perhaps you should research before talking. An experienced builder -- like you assure you are -- would never make such assumptions, so I'll leave at that.

Regarding the screws and such, don't be ludicrous. I am testing several coolers for several days. I am kind of busy right now so you make your own assumptions. You seem to be good at that, this I can say.

You don't have a valid argument. You are just trying to ignore THAT THE PROBLEM IS YOU, AND NOT THE COOLER. Thousands of users are very satisfied with the cooler and works very, very well. And then you are trying to tell me and others that the problem is the backplate?? You are creating your own problems and trying to convince others that your problem is everybodys problem. But youi are wrong! Almost all people with this cooler people are very happy with this cooler, and have zero Problems

Some, and here I'm pointing at you, simply don't know how to install this cooler. I will give you an offer: Come to my home with your computer, and I will install your cooler for free in less than 15 minutes, and I will assure you that everything sits tight and the cooler works just fine as it should.

Oh, and look here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=160973

Well I don't deal with AMD. So I can't say if it's loose on AMD boards. And I don't see any reason what so ever to use a liquid cooler on AMD chip. You should only use liquid cooler on Intel I7 K chip, as they are made for overclocking. You don't really get anything from overclocking AMD chip.

And yes all 30 computers are Intel chip. I only build Intel computers.

WoW!? With this statement, you have removed all doubt that you have a clue about Intel or AMD processors. With the process node deficit that AMD processors have operated under for 5 years compared to what Intel processors are built with, AMD processors have needed almost mandatory better cooling than any air cooler can provide because of their high TDP and beg for water cooling of some kind. Also, an AMD processor can overclock quite well and equal or better the multi-thread performance of any Intel processor. I'll grant you the fact that the current AMD processor designs are no match in single thread performance compared to current Intel designs. I can provide you the CPU-Z validation file my lowly 3.3 Ghz FX-8300 overclock betters a 4 Ghz i7-4790K chip.

http://valid.x86.fr/iyb6n9

You are not alone, but I do have some info on this forum. So don't say I am making it up. Look here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=160973

And yes, when you do proceed to the next step of actually mounting the pump block on the loose backplate as C-attack states, you could in fact find that you don't spread out the TIM material enough and suffer hot CPU temperatures as Contiusa did and documented.

WoW!? With this statement, you have removed all doubt that you have a clue about Intel or AMD processors. With the process node deficit that AMD processors have operated under for 5 years compared to what Intel processors are built with, AMD processors have needed almost mandatory better cooling than any air cooler can provide because of their high TDP and beg for water cooling of some kind. Also, an AMD processor can overclock quite well and equal or better the multi-thread performance of any Intel processor. I'll grant you the fact that the current AMD processor designs are no match in single thread performance compared to current Intel designs. I can provide you the CPU-Z validation file my lowly 3.3 Ghz FX-8300 overclock betters a 4 Ghz i7-4790K chip.

Wow! You are saying that AMD is somehow better than Intel chip? I can tell you that YOU don't have a clue. Just to put in perspective. Intel chip are the most selling chip and have been for over 15 years. Reason? Its just better than AMD. I've build computers for over 15 years and NONE of my customers wanted AMD chip, and nothing changed. There is no reason what so ever to install this cooler on AMD chip. The chip lacks of instructions and performance. That's just a fact and here you can see the facts:

You can choose from what you like and compare. AMD is far behind, and nothing have changed.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=88&_ga=1.257369417.354076900.1469440954

I really don't care about your CPU-Z validation. It says nothing compared to Intel chip.

Wow, this is getting a bit personal. I have installed a few Corsair AIO coolers onto several motherboards and they all either fitted tightly to begin with or pulled tight when I fitted the pump block. However, that doesn't mean that some other people haven't had problems which were sorted by installing thin washers. Manufacturing being what it is, I'm not surprised at any problems, all the components have to be made to tight tolerances, which would be bad enough if all 4 parts (cpu, motherboard, cooler bracket and mounting screws) were made by the same company, but when they are made by 3/4 different companies, only a very small variation from the pattern may well cause a problem.

Wow! You are saying that AMD is somehow better than Intel chip? I can tell you that YOU don't have a clue. Just to put in perspective. Intel chip are the most selling chip and have been for over 15 years. Reason? Its just better than AMD. I've build computers for over 15 years and NONE of my customers wanted AMD chip, and nothing changed. There is no reason what so ever to install this cooler on AMD chip. The chip lacks of instructions and performance. That's just a fact and here you can see the facts:

You can choose from what you like and compare. AMD is far behind, and nothing have changed.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=88&_ga=1.257369417.354076900.1469440954

I really don't care about your CPU-Z validation. It says nothing compared to Intel chip.

And I don't care that the AnandTech link you provided is a comparison to an outdated Phenom processor and NOT the latest FX series that I have been talking about. The fact you ignore the simple Benchmark validation that CPU-Z shows that my FX-8300 processor BEATS the performance of the Intel i7-4790K shows that you are a rapid INTEL FANBOY!! I think that I am done with this conversation with you. I have stated the facts about the looseness of the AMD based Corsair AIO backplate installation and the simple and cheap workaround.:!:

Wow, this is getting a bit personal. I have installed a few Corsair AIO coolers onto several motherboards and they all either fitted tightly to begin with or pulled tight when I fitted the pump block. However, that doesn't mean that some other people haven't had problems which were sorted by installing thin washers. Manufacturing being what it is, I'm not surprised at any problems, all the components have to be made to tight tolerances, which would be bad enough if all 4 parts (cpu, motherboard, cooler bracket and mounting screws) were made by the same company, but when they are made by 3/4 different companies, only a very small variation from the pattern may well cause a problem.

Yes, this has gotten personal and I am done with this conversation. The point you state about getting all the parts to work cohesively from 4 different manufacturers was the point I was trying to get across. I have provided a simple fix for the well documented problem in this thread.

I'll grant you the fact that the current AMD processor designs are no match in single thread performance compared to current Intel designs. I can provide you the CPU-Z validation file my lowly 3.3 Ghz FX-8300 overclock betters a 4 Ghz i7-4790K chip.

You cannot compare an overclocked cpu against a stock cpu :sigh!:

But FYI - You were also wrong in your claim

http://valid.x86.fr/65xxgv

And I don't care that the AnandTech link you provided is a comparison to an outdated Phenom processor and NOT the latest FX series that I have been talking about. The fact you ignore the simple Benchmark validation that CPU-Z shows that my FX-8300 processor BEATS the performance of the Intel i7-4790K shows that you are a rapid INTEL FANBOY!! I think that I am done with this conversation with you. I have stated the facts about the looseness of the AMD based Corsair AIO backplate installation and the simple and cheap workaround.:!:

Wel, if you scroll, you will find AMD FX chip on Andantech. But if you don't know how to do that. I will provide you with a link to AMD FX chip VS Intel chip.

Here you go:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1199?vs=698

Archived