Corsair Community

Do without Corsair link

pigpen

Hello to all

I have a custom workstation PC with the Corsair H100i V2 cooler. It seems to be doing a great job so far. I have never installed any LINK software, and I really don't want to either. This is a workstation, rather than a gaming setup, so I don't need the flashing LED lights, or other gadgets. My question is If I don't use the LINK setup, how would I hookup the power connections to the mainboard ? From what i can tell, the mainboard has three 4-pin fan headers for cpu cooling. They are marked "water pump" "cpu fan" and "cpu fan optional"

I was going to use the water pump header to power the pump, and use the other two cpu fan headers for the two included fans. That means I will not plug the fans into the power headers that are coming out of the pump.

Does that seem to be the best way? Has anyone else ever skipped using the Corsair link?

Thanks for the help.

That should be fine. Many people bypass the LINK software for various reasons. You can control the fan speeds either through the BIOS or AI Suite/Fan Xpert. The only substantial difference is the radiator fans will run in accordance with CPU temperature instead of the water temperature inside the cooler. This tends to make the radiator fans a little more unnecessarily reactive to varying loads. Using the AI Suite fan controls can dampen this for the most part by using the fan delays (spin up/down) built into the program. However, like many programs, the value it uses for CPU temperature is not exactly your peak core temperatures and it does require some fiddling to find the appropriate control points for your work.

You might be stuck with a white LED light in the default mode. I am not sure if it can be turned completely off. You may still want to connect the USB header during the install. Doing it later if necessary can be a pain. It may also be handy to have LINK installed as software, but set it not to run on start-up. LINK is useful for troubleshooting and differentiating between different cooler problems.

That's exactly how I installed my H110i GT to an Asus Maximus Hero VIII board. I use the Asus fan software to control the cooler fans and the case fans. It allows the case fans to remain off when the temp is below 40 degrees. Although I would probably have used Link if I could have gotten it to work. Version 4 wouldn't install, because it said that I had an older version installed, despite the fact that I had uninstalled everything I could find. Version 3.*** installed but wouldn't detect my H110i GT, so I uninstalled it. Shane really as it had a nice background picture for the 900D.

you may also want to just once set it up to balanced or performance mode, and make sure the pump is set to performance instead of quiet, as you will get better cooling with it in performance mode, and it shouldn't effect longevity, and if you want, set the LED color, then deinstall the program.

• 3 months later...
you may also want to just once set it up to balanced or performance mode, and make sure the pump is set to performance instead of quiet, as you will get better cooling with it in performance mode, and it shouldn't effect longevity, and if you want, set the LED color, then deinstall the program.

That's just the way to connect and use the liquid cooler. Connect your fans to the rad, and the pump to waterpump on motherboard.

Go into Bios and set the CPU fan to ignore in Monitor. Then you won't get the CPU fan error at startup.

You don't want to set your fans to the group CPU (in corsair link). They should be set to your pump. The water cools the CPU, so you want to keep the water cool by the fans, and not let the fans control the CPU temp. Your fans will speed up and down all the time, if you do that.

I have set my fans to balanced and the the pump to performance. This makes my computer silent and cools the CPU very nice. Idle I have around 29-30 degrees (overclocked to 4.6 Ghz) In games I have around 45- 50 degrees. That's nice and cool!

Archived