Corsair Community

Stock fans on h115i?

Derekblah

So I just bought the h115i Radiator and was wondering if it would be a good/bad idea to switch out the fans that come with the radiator with the Air Series SP140 LED Static Pressure 140 mm Fans? If so is it possible to do a push pull configuration exhaust with both the stock fans and the led one on a 780t mounted on top? If anyone can get any of these questions answered for me that would be awesome! Thanks in advanced. :D::D::D:

The Corsair SP140 LED fan is a 3 pin DC model and you will not be able to power and control it from the pump block on the H115i. It must be 4 pin PWM to work with the block and LINK control. As far as I know, there are no 140mm PWM LED fans available on the market right now. However, you can use the SP140 LED or other 3 pin DC fan by moving the leads to the motherboard. Many modern motherboards have native software fan control and certainly BIOS controls. This would make LINK less useful unless you have other Corsair hardware to monitor.

I can't think of any reason to combine the stock SP140L's and 140 LED in push pull. The SP140L is more powerful than you need, so there isn't a performance gain by stacking up. Also, trying to run a pair of fans in push-pull from two different control sources is a genuine pain in the neck. If you were determined to run push-pull, do it with two pairs of SP140 LED fans from the motherboard.

I don't think you need push-pull at all on a 280mm radiator unless you are using a somewhat inappropriate fan. I can keep my 5820K well under control at 4.4GHz and 1.275v with a single pair of SP140 LED. Most likely your CPU has less watts to shed than that. That really is the nice thing about a 280mm cooling system -- you can let it run at 500-750 rpm all day long and it will get the job done. If you have some heavier encoding/editing/rendering work to do with hour long batch times, then fan choice might bear some more consideration. Otherwise, you are only giving up RPM's you will never use.

The Corsair SP140 LED fan is a 3 pin DC model and you will not be able to power and control it from the pump block on the H115i. It must be 4 pin PWM to work with the block and LINK control. As far as I know, there are no 140mm PWM LED fans available on the market right now.

bgears makes a 140mm LED-lit fan, though I'm not sure if it has the static pressure necessary for using on a radiator. It's advertised as a case fan. For non-LED options, there are several 140mm PWM fans, though.

The b-gears ICE 140mm is a 3 pin LED and would probably work just fine when powered from the board. Their b-PWM 140 model is PWM, but is not available in LED. That last one is 15 blade design and not something you would want on a radiator.

The TT Riing 14 RGB apparently is a PWM model, but it appears to require a secondary controller for the lighting and also places an additional speed control post cooler, so that may complicate the issue somewhat. I am waiting to see if someone can get it up and running through LINK before acknowledging it as a possibility. This is different than their single color Riing fans, which are all 3 pin DC.

Archived