Corsair Community

Safe/Standard operating temps RM850i

Snekysnek

The fan should kick in at about 45-50c in "default" mode

That's a perfectly good temp... Safely they can go up to 105 short term and 80 long term but they work better cooler

Edit: just saw the continuous rated temp was 40... My bad

So the fan should kick on at 40ish I believe

Edit2: gah.. I was looking at the RM850 instead of the RM850i... The continuous rated temp is 50... So fan should kick in at about 50

Now, when I say "safe" I mean safe for the power supply itself... At 80c the power supply would only be able to output about 70% of the power it's rated for at best

At 105 probably 40%

So optimally don't go above 60... You'll get about 90% of the output power it's rated for at that amount

The power supply fan won't let itself get too much above 50 unless you force it stopped

If you have it set to 40% fan speed and somehow (extremely unlikely) it goes above about 50c then it'll turn the fan speed up

In default mode it should kick the fan on at about 50c, since it's rated for a continuous rated temperature of 50

Now, when I say "safe" I mean safe for the power supply itself... At 80c the power supply would only be able to output about 70% of the power it's rated for at best

At 105 probably 40%

So optimally don't go above 60... You'll get about 90% of the output power it's rated for at that amount

The power supply fan won't let itself get too much above 50 unless you force it stopped

If you have it set to 40% fan speed and somehow (extremely unlikely) it goes above about 50c then it'll turn the fan speed up

In default mode it should kick the fan on at about 50c, since it's rated for a continuous rated temperature of 50

I believe 50º means ambient temp, not internal temp, so maybe the temp sensor shows 60º but ambient is 40 and still can deliver full power?

I believe 50º means ambient temp, not internal temp, so maybe the temp sensor shows 60º but ambient is 40 and still can deliver full power?

Corsair Link shows the internal temp of the power supply

The hotter you get from the continuous rated temperature, the less power the power supply can deliver

The continuous rated temperature for the RM850i is 50c

I read that every 1c increase from the continuous rated temperature is about 10 less watts... Not sure how accurate that is though

So that's why the power supply fan kicks on at 50c, so you don't lose any power

Safely the power supply can go up to AT LEAST 70c and be fine for 5+ years, probably 80c

The maximum safe temperature is 105c, equivalent to about 100 on a graphics card... Sure it'll be safe at that temperature for a while, but the life span will be significantly reduced... And you'll only get like 40% of its rated output at that temperature

Corsair Link shows the internal temp of the power supply

The hotter you get from the continuous rated temperature, the less power the power supply can deliver

The continuous rated temperature for the RM850i is 50c

I read that every 1c increase from the continuous rated temperature is about 10 less watts... Not sure how accurate that is though

So that's why the power supply fan kicks on at 50c, so you don't lose any power

Safely the power supply can go up to AT LEAST 70c and be fine for 5+ years, probably 80c

The maximum safe temperature is 105c, equivalent to about 100 on a graphics card... Sure it'll be safe at that temperature for a while, but the life span will be significantly reduced... And you'll only get like 40% of its rated output at that temperature

That is not what I meant.

What I think is the continuous rated temperature is 50 in ambient temp, not internal temp. So internal temp can be higher as long as ambient doesn't exceed 50c

That is not what I meant.

What I think is the continuous rated temperature is 50 in ambient temp, not internal temp. So internal temp can be higher as long as ambient doesn't exceed 50c

I'm honestly not sure... But I do know that the cooler you keep the power supply, the more power you get out of it

So internally you don't want to go above a certain amount if you want the full rated power output

Basically, as long as you keep the fan on default mode or 40% fan speed then you're perfectly fine

In default mode the power supply will keep it at a temperature that's best for it. And at 40% fan speed, the power supply will kick the fan up more if it needs to

Honestly at 50% load on my AX860i, I found that default mode kept it about 45-50c, 40% fan speed kept it about 30c, and 100% fan speed kept it about 28c

Literally a 1-2c difference with 40% versus 100% fan speed at 50% load

Now this is for the AX860i, but should be similar to the RM850i (at least with efficiency)

So I wouldn't worry about it... the power supply should keep the internal temperature around 50

Now if it's 80 or something then I might look into it

Hello, thanks for the answers guys. I've got it in 40% fan speed mode because it would occasionally be 42c and was confused if the 50c was all it could stand.

At 40% it operates under load at 22c-26c give or take and I can't hear the fan at all so thats a plus.

Thanks again for the answers, I appreciate it!

Hello, thanks for the answers guys. I've got it in 40% fan speed mode because it would occasionally be 42c and was confused if the 50c was all it could stand.

At 40% it operates under load at 22c-26c give or take and I can't hear the fan at all so thats a plus.

Thanks again for the answers, I appreciate it!

Nah, it can handle temps a lot hotter than 50, it just can output more power if it's cooler

Also, it'll kick on the fans more if it needs to, so don't worry about it

Although as I said, I saw almost no temp difference between 40 and 100% fan speed, but the noise difference was huge

I wouldn't even START to worry about the temperature until it hits 60-70

A lot of inefficient power supplies easily get up to 70

But it can handle temps up to 105 safely for a short period of time

At least, that's what the capacitors are rated for

But try not to let the temp get that hot, lol

Archived