Corsair Community

Corsair 450D case

CNT

I hope this is OK to post all questions in one thread?

As of this time, the Corsair 450D case is unavailable through newegg.com. Are Corsair still making/shipping this case?

I plan to use this build for ONE game (Serious Sam), so it's something I play with for like 1-2 hours a day, maybe 3 times a week. But, this time, I like to re-play the whole SS series again. Also, I plan to do some video editing (maybe into more in near future).

For now, I will be using onboard DVI. When/If I get enough money, then maybe 980 (or Pascal). Plan to get 6700K with air cooling. I will NOT overclock. I will still want the "K" since it's 4.0GHz stock. I haven't bought anything yet, just starting inventory.

When was the 450D first on market? it looks like 2 years old model? Have the 450D improved or the same?

I read reviews that many have issues with "cheap filters" in 450D case. What's up with that?

The USB 3.0 on the front of case, will it work with USB 3.1 ?

The 450D case comes with 2 fans, one front and one back. Is this enough fans? Leave the fans as it is from box?

I am still not sure if I would really need 32GB (2x16GB) or if 16GB (2x8GB) would be enough? Looks like I would get the Corsair Dominator DDR4 3000. 32GB costs twice the price of 16GB.

There are no new reviews (2016) for Corsair RAM? Not even for OCZ or Intel either? I notice SanDisk is popping up now, not really ready to trust it yet for SSD? I see is all focus are on Samsung 850 EVO, would that what I should be getting? Last reviews for Corsair (that I find) are 2014.

What happen with previous Corsair SSD? Corsair used to have GT and GTX models, but now only have LS, LX, LE (and XT)?

960GB LS is same as 960GB LE?

As for PSU, I did few online calculators, results shows I only need ~350watts. I was planning on getting the 750watts, would that be overkill? I am looking to get "80 Gold".

I read that by using higher wattage PSU, the more heat in components (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc), not talking about case heat. True?

As 450D case have two pockets behind the MB for 2 SSD, are those OK to use those? Aren't SSD get hot behind it (no air circulation)?

As the 450D have HDD mounts setup "that way", how is to install the HDD/SSD if the pull-out slot comes out "that way" with cables behind it? Nonetheless, I may not even use it (I plan to have two SSD behind the MB, see previous questions).

Chuck

I hope this is OK to post all questions in one thread?

sure.

As of this time, the Corsair 450D case is unavailable through newegg.com. Are Corsair still making/shipping this case?

Search for other Dealer. So maybe amazon is something for you or other in your country available Dealer. Maybe amazon?

You can check other dealer at corsair too or maybe you can buy it directly at corsair.com (see link behind first corsair).

I plan to use this build for ONE game (Serious Sam), so it's something I play with for like 1-2 hours a day, maybe 3 times a week. But, this time, I like to re-play the whole SS series again. Also, I plan to do some video editing (maybe into more in near future).

For now, I will be using onboard DVI. When/If I get enough money, then maybe 980 (or Pascal). Plan to get 6700K with air cooling. I will NOT overclock. I will still want the "K" since it's 4.0GHz stock. I haven't bought anything yet, just starting inventory.

Wait for pascal (X80 GPUs) and compare them with AMD and your editing-tool for gpu support.

When was the 450D first on market? it looks like 2 years old model? Have the 450D improved or the same?

~March 2014

I read reviews that many have issues with "cheap filters" in 450D case. What's up with that?

I don't think so, but as I said: I think. Which Motherboard has you?

The 450D case comes with 2 fans, one front and one back. Is this enough fans? Leave the fans as it is from box?

With stock inventory it seems enough. Which CPU Cooler do you use?

I am still not sure if I would really need 32GB (2x16GB) or if 16GB (2x8GB) would be enough? Looks like I would get the Corsair Dominator DDR4 3000. 32GB costs twice the price of 16GB.

For Serious Sam I think it is an 32 bit application, so more than 4GB it can't use. But maybe you need more for video editing. So check for memory usage with your video editing tool. Maybe there are 8Gb enough?

There are no new reviews (2016) for Corsair RAM? Not even for OCZ or Intel either? I notice SanDisk is popping up now, not really ready to trust it yet for SSD? I see is all focus are on Samsung 850 EVO, would that what I should be getting? Last reviews for Corsair (that I find) are 2014.

What happen with previous Corsair SSD? Corsair used to have GT and GTX models, but now only have LS, LX, LE (and XT)?

For RAM? You will find cause DDR4. For SSD check this.

960GB LS is same as 960GB LE?

LS and LE aren't the same.

As for PSU, I did few online calculators, results shows I only need ~350watts. I was planning on getting the 750watts, would that be overkill? I am looking to get "80 Gold".

Wait for GPU. So maybe you will need 500W, may 600. Wait and calculate new.

I read that by using higher wattage PSU, the more heat in components (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc), not talking about case heat. True?

It's a question about airflow. For PSU you have at the 450D the PSU at bottom and can set the Fan to bottom too. So there will not more case heat, which you can realize.

As 450D case have two pockets behind the MB for 2 SSD, are those OK to use those? Aren't SSD get hot behind it (no air circulation)?

You have space (air) between mobo, tray and holder. So don't worry about. If you worry about, you can maybe check the temperature of the ssd (so for Corsair LE).

As the 450D have HDD mounts setup "that way", how is to install the HDD/SSD if the pull-out slot comes out "that way" with cables behind it? Nonetheless, I may not even use it (I plan to have two SSD behind the MB, see previous questions).

It is how you lay your cables. If you have hanging cables in the visibility, you will see cables. Lol.

Chuck

Are the answer ok for you? ;)

Which Motherboard has you?

Haven't decided yet.

For Serious Sam I think it is an 32 bit application, so more than 4GB it can't use. But maybe you need more for video editing. So check for memory usage with your video editing tool. Maybe there are 8Gb enough?

Windows 10 64-bit?

It's a question about airflow. For PSU you have at the 450D the PSU at bottom and can set the Fan to bottom too. So there will not more case heat, which you can realize.

Could you explain or suggest? At Corsair website (LINK), down to the middle of the page, there's a picture of fans. Are you referring to the bottom "2x120mm" (put TWO more fans there, making it total of 5 fans?)? Leave the top empty?

You have space (air) between mobo, tray and holder. So don't worry about. If you worry about, you can maybe check the temperature of the ssd (so for Corsair LE).

I was reading in other forums that SSD do get hot, in spite SSD were designed to be less heat. I think SSD have more "spots heat".

OTOH, buying Samsung EVO vs. Corsair line, it's 10 years warranty vs. 3 years warranty.

Amazon lists the 450D with rapid delivery options, Newegg still lists it(with a discount, even) though the listing says "out of stock", so they may get more in the future. If they'd decided to stop carrying it I would imagine they'd de-list it completely.

The filters work fine for me, the only issue I have is with the fan mount on the top. the water-cooling rig I have uses screws with rounded heads, which are keeping the magnetic filter from lying completely flat. It's a very minor issue, and regular fans tend to have flat-head screws which shouldn't have the same problem.

Check the specs for whatever motherboard you intend to use. On the latest Asus boards for example, all the USB 3.1 ports are on the back panel, the internal headers are 3.0, so it's a moot point :) A Corsair rep is probably better equipped to tell you if the front-panel ports are future-proof enough to handle 3.1 when motherboards come out with internal 3.1 headers.

The default fans that come with Corsair cases are usually a variant on their AF120/140's, and are quite good. If you end up putting a high-end GPU in your system it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put a second fan up front for more intake. I ended up swapping out the default fans in my system simply because I wanted all of my fans to be PWM 4-pin fans, and the ones that come with cases are almost always 3-pin. But if you're not going to overclock, you should be fine with the default fans at least for now.

If you're not looking for the fastest timings and highest clock speed, I would also suggest checking out the Corsair Vengeance memory. I use it in all my systems and compatibility issues have been nonexistent. Again, if you don't plan on overclocking, it may be a better bang for your buck. 16GB is probably fine unless you're doing some big-time multi-media editing or some serious power-user multitasking. Most boards will have four slots anyway, so get 2x8GB now, and if you find you need more, get another matching 2x8GB set. Just be aware that running 4 memory sticks can sometimes require turning the memory speed down a little bit, or boosting a couple of voltage settings in the BIOS.

You mentioned probably getting a GPU card for the system down the road, make sure you factor that into your calculations. If you're not going to be using multiple video cards, 750W should be plenty.

I'm not even sure what this means, but the wattage of the PSU shouldn't impact the heat of the other components. The PSU doesn't force-feed its full wattage to the sytstem, the system draws what it needs. Now, the PSU may be more efficient when the power draw is a certain percentage of its maximum, so getting a PSU capable of a lot more wattage than you need may be a waste of money in multiple ways. I usually allow myself a fair bit of cushion when buying a new PSU though, so I can add new components without worrying if the PSU can handle them.

I actually didn't use one of those tray mounts for my SSD, I was having a devil of a time getting the SATA & power cables I had route back there easily. I just screwed it onto one of the 3.5" trays. The 3.5" trays work just fine, though I HIGHLY recommend getting SATA cables that have the right-angle connectors at least on one end for you to connect to the drives, it makes the cabling much easier. Whether you'll want it on both ends depend on where the SATA ports are positioned on your motherboard.

Overall, I love my 450D and highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

A Corsair rep is probably better equipped to tell you if the front-panel ports are future-proof enough to handle 3.1 when motherboards come out with internal 3.1 headers.

There are many MBs that now have USB 3.1 headers to be use for the front. So, Corsair, whats the answer to the question?

I recently purchased this case myself. There's actually 3 fans that come with the case. There are 2x 140mm at the front and a 120mm at the back that come with it. How much cooling you need depends on what you want to do with your PC and what type of CPU cooler you're planning to use.

A Corsair rep is probably better equipped to tell you if the front-panel ports are future-proof enough to handle 3.1 when motherboards come out with internal 3.1 headers.

There are many MBs that now have USB 3.1 headers to be use for the front. So, Corsair, whats the answer to the question?

I have a question. Will front USB 3.0 ports run at USB 3.1 speed (10 Gbit/s) when using USB 3.1 headers (GEN2)?

CNT,

If I am correct I am not absolutely sure, but if the the USB 3.1 header is connected to a case's USB 3.0 connector, it should only run at the USB 3.0 speed. I hope this answer your questions.

"Will front USB 3.0 ports run at USB 3.1 speed (10 Gbit/s) when using USB 3.1 headers (GEN2)?"

So the short answer is No.

Archived