Corsair Community

H100i vs H100i v2 support/firmware question

Padinn

Hey folks,

My h100 recently experienced issues and I RMAed it to Corsair, receiving an H100i in replacement. However, the h100i I received had a damaged fan controller, so I had to RMA it as well. It appears that in error I was sent a replacement H100i V2.

The main thing I noticed is that I can't setup push/pull with the H100i v2, which is disappointing. However I can live without that as my other fans are loud.

Is there any other differences that I should be aware of? Is there a firmware update for the H100v2? It says it is on version 2.8.0.0 in Corsair Link v4.

Perhaps not in error. One of the most noticeable improvements on the H100i v2/GTX is a more durable fan controller. The prior H80i and 100i were notoriously easy to derail, even with just two fans. If you were running all four from the hub, the odds were never in your favor. The look is certainly a little different, but overall it's improved in most every area. I would consider this an upgrade.

Why can't you set it in push/pull? Is it the slightly thicker radiator casing a few millimeters too much? I would still be a little cautious with high draw fans if you decide to try push/pull. I haven't heard a single mention of a blown controller on the new models, but it is rated at 1.0A, so avoid the high rpm LED fans x 4.

The firmware update is now handled through the LINK software. There should be a tab for it. At least one of the models (H115i) got a firmware update in the "renaming process". If LINK says you are up to date, that should be it.

Hello there

I have been trying to locate a link, where I will be able to find the detailed specs for the H100i vs. H100i v. 2, which I already own, but I am not successful.

I am not even sure if the H100i was ever launched. As much as I have found till now, I have the impression that the H100i v. 2 was the direct replacement of the H100.

Please, correct me, if I am wrong and guide me to find the specs of the H100i, in case this was launched before the H100i v.2.

Thanks.

Perhaps not in error. One of the most noticeable improvements on the H100i v2/GTX is a more durable fan controller. The prior H80i and 100i were notoriously easy to derail, even with just two fans. If you were running all four from the hub, the odds were never in your favor. The look is certainly a little different, but overall it's improved in most every area. I would consider this an upgrade.

Why can't you set it in push/pull? Is it the slightly thicker radiator casing a few millimeters too much? I would still be a little cautious with high draw fans if you decide to try push/pull. I haven't heard a single mention of a blown controller on the new models, but it is rated at 1.0A, so avoid the high rpm LED fans x 4.

The firmware update is now handled through the LINK software. There should be a tab for it. At least one of the models (H115i) got a firmware update in the "renaming process". If LINK says you are up to date, that should be it.

Main problem for push/pull is the lack of additional headers/adapters to do so. The fans I were previously using are very loud Sanyo fans (38mm thickness). They are nice at lower RPM, but at max speed very annoying.

Question: would the fans it came with be better, or these? http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

I have 4 of those right now on the side of my case.

The grey SP120L's that come with H100i series are the same fan as the SP120 Performance and Quiet edition models. The only difference is the RPM limit. The L model's exact upper limit has been tweaked a few times between series, but if you set all three fans to the same rpm, they will generate the same airflow and pressure. Safe to say most people prefer the colored rings to the grey, but rubber corners aside it's the same blade. Since most people don't typically enjoy their radiator fans above 2000 rpm, I don't see any advantage to using the L version with it's higher rpm limit, particularly if you don't intend to use it.

If you put a pair of 38mm deep dish fans on, you don't need push-pull. Your average 120x38mm fan has more pressure and airflow than you will ever find in a 25mm model. I ran a Nidec 120x38 (3800 rpm limit) for quite a while on a custom 120x120x45mm radiator. I loved that fan. It sounded like a turbine on power up. High decibels aside, the low frequency actually made it more acoustically enjoyable than many other lesser fans at moderate RPMs. Either way, I never found any pair of 120x25's that could match it at equal RPMs. I didn't care or need to run it past 2200, even on the heaviest task plus GPU heat. However, you are right. You need to be careful where you plug it in. That Nidec was 1.15 amp fan.

4 SP120 on the side? A 900D? Regardless it sounds like you are plenty familiar with the fan. Perhaps the SP120 in push-pull would give you what you're looking for and of course there are other choices as well.

The chronological order beginning in 2011 is H100 -----> H100i -----> H100iGTX --> H100i v2. Don't mind the prices. They reflect the original sale price points. The H100i v2 was a cosmetic replacement for the very recent H100 GTX. Both coolers should be considered identical from a performance stand point.

Thank you very much for the input.:topicsuck

It is exactly what I needed to know.

-

The grey SP120L's that come with H100i series are the same fan as the SP120 Performance and Quiet edition models. The only difference is the RPM limit. The L model's exact upper limit has been tweaked a few times between series, but if you set all three fans to the same rpm, they will generate the same airflow and pressure. Safe to say most people prefer the colored rings to the grey, but rubber corners aside it's the same blade. Since most people don't typically enjoy their radiator fans above 2000 rpm, I don't see any advantage to using the L version with it's higher rpm limit, particularly if you don't intend to use it.

If you put a pair of 38mm deep dish fans on, you don't need push-pull. Your average 120x38mm fan has more pressure and airflow than you will ever find in a 25mm model. I ran a Nidec 120x38 (3800 rpm limit) for quite a while on a custom 120x120x45mm radiator. I loved that fan. It sounded like a turbine on power up. High decibels aside, the low frequency actually made it more acoustically enjoyable than many other lesser fans at moderate RPMs. Either way, I never found any pair of 120x25's that could match it at equal RPMs. I didn't care or need to run it past 2200, even on the heaviest task plus GPU heat. However, you are right. You need to be careful where you plug it in. That Nidec was 1.15 amp fan.

4 SP120 on the side? A 900D? Regardless it sounds like you are plenty familiar with the fan. Perhaps the SP120 in push-pull would give you what you're looking for and of course there are other choices as well.

Thanks for the very helpful responses - much appreciated. I think for now, since it's working, I'll leave it be. I plan to upgrade CPU/mobo later this year and perhaps I will mess around then.

My case is an HAF932. I bought the static pressure fans to the side panel in part because i misunderstood the need for SP fans (though I needed them to pull through the mesh, my bad.) I have a magnet air filter that goes over them, works well at keeping case clean. Overall am happy keeping those fans there, if for no other reason than they appear very well built and acoustically meet my needs.

Archived