Corsair Community

2x512 PC3200LL not as fast as 2x256 PC3200LL??

DrBeer

I had 2x256mb Corsair XMS PC3200LL and upgraded to 2x512mb Corsair XMS PC3200LL. With the 2x256 I was able to run at a 225mhz FSB with 11-2-3-2.0 timings at 1.720v. Ran memtest86 for 6 hours on this setup with no issues and Prime95 for 30+ hours with no errors. I get the 2x512 and I can't go past 205mhz 11-2-3-2.0 with any voltage before memtest starts giving errors. Also, I can't seem to set my RAS to CAS from 3 down to 2. In the BIOS it is set at 11-2-2-2.0 but when you check CPU-Z or AIDA32 they show as 11-2-3-2.0. So, the RAM is obviously the limitation to my OC. Does anyone know if the 512 modules have a lower OC overhead (which I doubt) or if I just happened to get a pair that barely made the LL cut? Or possibly it's just my BIOS needs more tweaking... any ideas? GA-7N400 Pro F11 AMD Barton2500+ 2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200LL 450w Allied True Power PSU

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mr_Soundshaker [/i] [B]I don't think a precharge delay of 11 is fast anyway. Can u explain that to me plz? [/B][/QUOTE] [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14461]THIS [/URL] should explain it. Dr. Beer, I'd run the Memtest on your RAM and see if you possibly got a weak stick or something with the new stuff. In theory a DS DIMM (the 512mb DIMMs are double sided) should perform slightly better than the SS DIMMS (the 256s are single sided). Mike

That's intersting! So that's actually the setting to fine tune the memory, at the moment i'm busy finding out what's best for my memory. I did notice when it's on 11 the reading goes faster but the writing goes down slightly, on 9 writing goes up and reading too but not that high as 11. Thanx for the info anyway. I'm sorry i can't help with your prob, i'm still busy to squeeze the highest stable performance out of my rig here.

Archived