Corsair Community

H110i GT Fans always at max speed

ZeroUser

I bought this cooler from amazon for the computer I recently built to upgrade from the Haswell i5 4650k to an i5 6600K for better performance and easier and cooler overclocking. I installed 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX to replace the default fans since upon reviewing the cooler i hear the stock ones are quite noisy and not very good in general. only problem is is even with corsair link installed changing profiles dosn't change the fan RPM and they are always at like 1150. while this does keep the CPU at a frosty 19c at base clock they, for as good and quiet as they are, are rather noisy at max. I put the included low noise adapters on them and they run around 900 now but are still noisier then they should be and keeping the cpu at about 21c. No matter what I choose, quiet or performance, the RPMs don't change. Id rather not having to use the low noise adapters if i dont want to. On my motherboard there are 2 CPU fan headers, both 4-pin. They are labeled CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. upon investigation of the mobo and case. the front 200mm fan and the rear fan that I replaced with a Corsair AF140 are plugged into a fan hub included with the case and that has a 4 pin cable thats plugged into the CPU_FAN header as per instructions of the case. The mobo manual says that CPU_OPT is for water-coolers so i have the 3 pin, though only 1 pin is being used, cable from the pump plugged into this header. The corsair link USB cable is going to 1 of the usb2.0 header on the bottom it works because I was fiddling with the pump LED. I also noticed that the pump is always at like 2100 RPM as well though it is rather quiet. Any idea how i can get this thing to actually slow down my fans when tis idling. I haven't done any stress testing at all and the CPU is super cold, pretty much ambient which while nice is unnecessary and I'd like to see it idle around 35c so the fans and pump can take a break.

The Noctua NF-A14 FLX are 3 pin DC fans. You must use 4 pin PWM fans if you want control through Corsair Link and to power them through the pump block.

You have a couple of choices.

1) Return the A14-FLX for the A14-PWM model. Same fan, slightly higher 1500 rpm max. Full control through LINK or motherboard.

2) Move the fans to one of your motherboard headers. Your CPU & OPT headers are surely 4 pin PWM headers. Some boards have additional PWM headers as chasis headers, others do not, some have "fake" 4 pin headers that are really 3 pin DC. I don't know your board's layout. This will make Link not particularly useful. Your fans will run from CPU temperature instead of water temperature and the only reason to use LINK would be to monitor other Corsair hardware or to change LED color.

The Noctua NF-A14 FLX are 3 pin DC fans. You must use 4 pin PWM fans if you want control through Corsair Link and to power them through the pump block.

You have a couple of choices.

1) Return the A14-FLX for the A14-PWM model. Same fan, slightly higher 1500 rpm max. Full control through LINK or motherboard.

2) Move the fans to one of your motherboard headers. Your CPU & OPT headers are surely 4 pin PWM headers. Some boards have additional PWM headers as chasis headers, others do not, some have "fake" 4 pin headers that are really 3 pin DC. I don't know your board's layout. This will make Link not particularly useful. Your fans will run from CPU temperature instead of water temperature and the only reason to use LINK would be to monitor other Corsair hardware or to change LED color.

Well I feel stupid. I didnt even pay attention to that at all. Though i heard that 3 pin fans wold be regulated as well using DC voltage instead of Pulse Width Modulation. I dont think I kept the boxes for the noctua fans so ill just hold on to them, im sure I'll find a use. These will be fine for the time being until I can get replacement fans from amazon. Also is it normal for the pump to always report 2k+ RPM?

2000 rpm sounds like quiet mode. The max should just under 3000. It's kind of an either or speed. There should be some sort of toggle or drop menu when setting the custom profile or automatic when using either 'Quiet mode' or the Performance mode.

2000 rpm sounds like quiet mode. The max should just under 3000. It's kind of an either or speed. There should be some sort of toggle or drop menu when setting the custom profile or automatic when using either 'Quiet mode' or the Performance mode.

Ah ok, I do have it in quiet mode. This is my first AIO cooler and I couldn't find any good info on it online. So that is normal, that's good to hear. I'm just sad i cant use this beast until I get all my work programs moved over and setup.

Archived