Corsair Community

H110i GTX using much cooler pump temps for fan speed?

Dangerous_Dave

Hi all,

I've been trying to set my H110i GTX cooler up with a custom fan profile on Corsair link, but the problem is that the fan speed goes with the pump temperature, which is reading MUCH lower than the CPU temp. On prime95, the CPU maxes out at 80C while the pump temperature sticks around 37C, and as a result, the fan speed is not ramping up appropriately to control CPU temperature.

A couple of questions:

1) Is it normal to have such a large difference between CPU and pump temperatures (e.g. does this suggest poor seating of the block)?

2) Is there a way to make the fan speed control use the CPU temperature rather than the pump temperature?

Thanks in advance.

The fans in a water cooling system play a slightly different role compared to an air system. They aid in removing heat from the water and this is why the control variable is water temperature. They don't cool the CPU directly. Even with zero fan speed, you would still have a cooling effect, although not enough for a max stress test. The water temperature increases when the CPU (and other waste heat) add to the water temperature faster than the radiator and fans can remove it. However, as you have already noted the total range of your water temperature only spans 10-12C (I am assuming an approximate 25-27C starting water temperature), so even if you had the most powerful fans on the planet, the most you can reduce the temperature by is 10C by blasting the fans. Of course, nothing is 100% efficient, so that isn't a realistic goal anyway. Regardless, this was a long way of explaining you are unlikely to see a dramatic decrease in CPU core temperatures by blasting the fans at 2000 rpm. You might be able to shave 2-3C off a short duration stress test.

1) It is doubtful you have a contact issue. I would expect even higher CPU temps and Prime would be impossible. More importantly, you water temperature would not increase very much. When the plate does not make good contact with the CPU lid, heat is not transferred into water system efficiently. You get scalding hot CPU temps and relatively cool water temperatures. 37C is too warm unless it is 32-33C in your case before the test.

2) On the H110i GTX, unfortunately you cannot control the fans by CPU temperature. You likely can move the fans to your motherboard and use either BIOS or software control to do the same. This would make LINK necessary, except for the occasional LED change.

It takes some time to figure out your water temperature range. There isn't a "safe" value. Your starting point is always going to be your room temperature, so someone in the Tropics have a substantially different baseline than someone in the higher latitudes. What you are really looking at is the difference between your starting temperature and your load temperatures to figure out if the cooler is efficient.

With such a small range of water temperature, setting an effective curve can be difficult without making the fan changes overly sensitive. If it's 5C warmer in your room today, the water will also be 5C warmer and the fans will react accordingly. Many people find they need to make seasonal adjustments to the curve. My advice would be to keep it relatively flat, up until your get closer to 40C. Most people don't have normal uses that include 100% runs for an hour, so getting the fan curve to work with Prime 95 shouldn't be a priority. You can set it manually to a fixed speed for testing.

As for your current result, I can't say much without knowing your CPU model, frequency, and voltage. However, I suspect their isn't anything wrong with the cooler. Haswell and Skylake chips don't necessarily react well to Prime without modifying the test parameters. Try a different program (OCCT, AIDA, Intel XTU) and compare results.

If you still have concerns about the CPU temps, we can look at everything to see if there is another issue.

Also, there is no requirement that you use Link and water temperature to manage the system. Some people are not comfortable with water temperature values and there are some environmental issues that might make it a nuisance. A room that experiences large temperature variations throughout the day might make managing the fans by water temp a daily irritation. I have the prior generation H110, which is a software-free system. I runs from my motherboard headers and handles my hefty wattage easily. The only downside is the fans in theory run faster than necessary, but the speeds are already so low with a 280mm system that is doesn't matter. However, like anything else, I did need to learn how Asus' AI Suite polls and displays temperatures to fine tune the curve.

Archived